Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

I’ve been really enjoying playing NIN since unlocking the mudra/ninjitsu. It almost feels like a fighting game using the different combos on the d-pad for the different effects. They do excellent damage and look very flashy too, which is always nice. 

Nearly onto Stormblood now. Just 3.5 and 3.56 to do which shouldn't take long tonight. Only one dungeon. I like the way the story played out with the Warriors of Darkness. Nice piece of very early forshadowing there. Makes you wonder just how far in advance they plan this stuff.

Jumping back on console, a new console, without saved setting, on control after leaving in 5.0 makes this all very confusing.

I can't even queue for random dungons now my gear isnt high enough (have they made they harder? I did the first 4 Edens),

MSQ it is and hope other raids open up then I guess :D

If anyone is joining in with the Make it Rain campaign that's running at the moment then it's worth giving Kaiyoko Star a follow as she updates the items for the best results each week.

RDT_20210723_135816382013947303684919.thumb.jpg.9409770badebef9edeb991ba0bf6bde6.jpg

I've just bought the Moogle arcade machine for my FC's house, I'll leave it to the leader to decorate around it though

Indeed.

It's so nice seeing lots of places busy again. Even though Make it Rain is normally popular the Golden Saucer was heaving earlier and Leap of Faith was basically impossible!

Yeah the saucer is insane right now. I actually had to bum around for 30 seconds before the duty finder even popped for Leap of Faith and even then it was so hard to play because there were so many players!

I was doing my relic grind last night doing stuff like Void Arc raids and at least half the players are sprouts which is so unusual to see. I like it, not only fresh blood but it means lower end raids and dungeons are much better fun because everyone doesn't storm through them in 20 seconds and bosses actually last long enough for you to hear the music. I even learned a bunch of mechanics I never knew for the Void bosses because we would get wipes and forced to learn how to actually do the fight instead of the veterans just doing all the vital bits for you!

Also I finished off Zadnor, enjoyed the epic end cutscene. Someone give the explosions artist a raise, they upped their game lately! I'm nearing the worst parts of the relic grind now and really don't know if I'll be arsed doing it. I actually enjoyed some of the previous steps like having to play Void Arc again, but some of the later steps require doing the same raid 15 times and crap like that. That just isn't fun, its grinding for grindings sake. I still haven't finished the ARR or Heavensward relics, both are mid way and require mega grinds to get further. It sucks. Also I cannot understand why they won't make relic weapons glow when sheathed, you worked fecking hard enough for them, but you only get the glowys in combat when you can't see it, or be an arsehole and walk around with it unsheathed to show off. Makes no sense.

14 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Also I cannot understand why they won't make relic weapons glow when sheathed, you worked fecking hard enough for them, but you only get the glowys in combat when you can't see it, or be an arsehole and walk around with it unsheathed to show off. Makes no sense.

Make this macro.

/bm

/sit

image.thumb.png.a1e262092233467f29e5ed38afd0393f.png

I've barely done any relics, I don't think. I've certainly only got the base lance on Shadowbringers and barely done any of Bozja 

19 minutes ago, layten said:

Make this macro.

Thanks, I did know about that, but its a fudge you can already do which they should just incorporate anyway. The only reason I can think of for them not to do it is to highlight Ultimate weapon wielders (because they do glow when sheathed from what I've seen). But I'm sure there are some weapons that do glow without the macro that aren't Ultimate anyway so I don't see why they don't just do it for all of them.

Does the Southern Front get better? 

Feels like running from skirmish to skirmish for VERY slow incremental progress...admittedly to a chuffin amazing weapon

It doesn't change that much but its more about the critical engagements which are quite fun, and there is some decent story stuff and a few raids in there as well. Best thing to do is to party up with other people doing fates and often staying with a party after a critical engagement. Bear in mind that as you unlock zones within Bozja you get access to more and more fates and critical engagments, so you dont spend as long grinding fates. Always try to do fates in the latest zone that you unlocked because you get more XP, and critical engagements give you a ton of XP.

Travel time can also be sped up a little by saving up 25 crystals and spending them on a hunting map at the exchange vendor in the main camp.

I'm struggling to find a ranged DPS class I can get on with. I can manage to play Bard but visually it's uninteresting. Dancer I find myself watching the bar for procs more than the fight. Red mage just addles my elderly brain (I rapidly lose track and then control of my balance meters). BLM seems like a pain, machinist seems to be just steampunk Bard but with two bars. I've started leveling an arcanist so I can try summoner. It's depressing. (My "main" is WHM so I'm fine there). Not a fan of melee dps so I'd prefer a ranged class I can work with.

There's just far too many buttons. How do people manage it all? Especially during boss fights.

7 hours ago, Flub said:

I'm struggling to find a ranged DPS class I can get on with. I can manage to play Bard but visually it's uninteresting. Dancer I find myself watching the bar for procs more than the fight. Red mage just addles my elderly brain (I rapidly lose track and then control of my balance meters). BLM seems like a pain, machinist seems to be just steampunk Bard but with two bars. I've started leveling an arcanist so I can try summoner. It's depressing. (My "main" is WHM so I'm fine there). Not a fan of melee dps so I'd prefer a ranged class I can work with.

There's just far too many buttons. How do people manage it all? Especially during boss fights.

Red Mage shouldn't addle you. It's one of the simpliest. 

Playing on controller I have "neutral" Jolt in middle button, then Black spells on Right buttons, White spells on left buttons so the rythm is always "middle left middle right, middle left..." and so on (Ok. They you have to manage procs, but again they're on the same sides to help with balancing)

21 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Red Mage shouldn't addle you. It's one of the simpliest. 

Playing on controller I have "neutral" Jolt in middle button, then Black spells on Right buttons, White spells on left buttons so the rythm is always "middle left middle right, middle left..." and so on (Ok. They you have to manage procs, but again they're on the same sides to help with balancing)

Can you post a screenshot of your hotbars? Sounds different to what I use and I'm always interested in how people play to see how I can improve 

Yeah DNC and RDM are generally thought of as the easiest to play. I tend to find the trick is learning when you don't need to be looking at something. DNC you only really need to look at your bars after you've used the previous procs and your basic skills (so every 5 to 10 seconds depending on procs). RDM if you're alternating black and white skills you only need to know when you're close to maxing them and which one is lower for after the melee combo.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

What’s healing like in this game? Is it fun? Rewarding?

I like it, but it's different from wow in that there tends to not be continual damage, it's generally occasional large hits. As such you're expected to be dpsing a lot of the time or you'll be stood around not doing anything and that dps is one or two abilities unlike dps's more complicated rotations. I'm not sure what rewarding would be as really it depends on the group you end up with and if you prefer it to go smoothly or ending up some kind of clusterfuck (I do prefer the latter). Most dungeons are pretty much a zerg where you spend most of your time aoeing stuff down and I don't find healing them all that fun but the raids and trials are pretty cool especially on the harder difficulties.

@Doctor Shark

I'm doing some healing stuff at low level currently (<40 level) so far it's been very group/instance dependent. Either there's been bugger all to do bar throw out the odd heal here and there or it being a complete shit show with everyone taking damage and me worrying about mana...so quite wow like in that regard! Lots of new players including myself so I bet there's loads of damage that could be being avoided. I'm playing on PC so have created some mouse over macro's and shifted the UI about so the actual feel of healing is not to dissimilar to wow with some addons.

18 minutes ago, bcofn said:

Yeah DNC and RDM are generally thought of as the easiest to play. I tend to find the trick is learning when you don't need to be looking at something. DNC you only really need to look at your bars after you've used the previous procs and your basic skills (so every 5 to 10 seconds depending on procs). RDM if you're alternating black and white skills you only need to know when you're close to maxing them and which one is lower for after the melee combo.

I like it, but it's different from wow in that there tends to not be continual damage, it's generally occasional large hits. As such you're expected to be dpsing a lot of the time or you'll be stood around not doing anything and that dps is one or two abilities unlike dps's more complicated rotations. I'm not sure what rewarding would be as really it depends on the group you end up with and if you prefer it to go smoothly or ending up some kind of clusterfuck (I do prefer the latter). Most dungeons are pretty much a zerg where you spend most of your time aoeing stuff down and I don't find healing them all that fun but the raids and trials are pretty cool especially on the harder difficulties.

Thanks. In fairness the healing meta has shifted in wow in recent years to be almost as much about dps as it is healing!

1 hour ago, wev said:

Can you post a screenshot of your hotbars? Sounds different to what I use and I'm always interested in how people play to see how I can improve 

29A5CDA1-63E8-41D2-9778-AA56A131C5FD.thumb.jpeg.b2f8e59f4be621814ef43eb140be8788.jpeg

Make sense?

x/o/square as normal 

left dpad/right dpad when procs

Yes I know I have contra six on twice 😛

Can’t get a cross bar screenshot but that’s where CorpsCorp and Melee is. 

9 hours ago, Flub said:

Summoner has way more buttons than BLM, I swear black mage is easier at 80 than it was while levelling. Summoner is getting a rework I think so I am waiting a bit before playing it again. Ninja is actually quite cool it’s Melee but has a lot of range moves as well.

I unlocked summoner tonight and tried it at level 60 via POTD and I like it so far. RDM in theory is easy but my fingers just get completely messed up when I try it. Don't know why.

I play Bard and its pretty insane at level 80, I spend more time looking at the hotbar instead of the fight, or in hard fights forgetting to use abilities because I'm focusing on boss mechanics. Its fun though but in hindsight I sometimes wish I hadn't chosen the most whack-a-mole of jobs. But it is very engaging. I tried Samurai and Dark Knight for a bit but found their rotations/combos too boring. Bard is a reactive playstyle where you hit procs when they come up and keep dots up.

I've been continuing my relic grind and honestly its been fun. I think I said earlier I had to do the void ark raids a number of times, those were fun and I know them quite well now. This latest stage has been to do Ivalice raids which I'd only done once. I had forgotten how awesome they are and instead of just getting carried now I have learned their mechanics. They are some of the best raids in the game in both spectacle and gameplay and definitely check them out if you haven't yet - if I recall you unlock them after Stormblood.

You can also grind Fates for the resources for the relic grind which has also been quite fun. Its nice to team up with randoms and you get to revisit areas you have no reason to go back to, in this case Ala Mhigo and Doma.

Unfortunately I think the next step is repeating the same Bozjan dungeon multiple times which sounds like a real grind. 

Also I want to do the second main Hildebrand story but can't find out where to start it and the wiki isn't much help. If anyone knows please let me know where the starting character for the quest is!

Are y'all just queuing for the Ivalice raids? Are people still doing them? I've never done them but have recently been going through a lot of old content just for the sake of it. I am a big fan of everything Ivalice but for some reason I've never done them (the reason is terrible anxiety).

19 minutes ago, palaver said:

Are y'all just queuing for the Ivalice raids? Are people still doing them? I've never done them but have recently been going through a lot of old content just for the sake of it. I am a big fan of everything Ivalice but for some reason I've never done them (the reason is terrible anxiety).

yeah just pug em, they were reasonably easy, watch vids before and wing it. You need to do them for the relic weapon so you get a group pretty quick.

I'm thinking I might have an easier time with a controller. I might give it a try today on the dummies and see how it feels. I'd be able to switch easily to my PS5 if I wanted to then.