Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

There is a MUK free company but I don't think it's that active.The people playing are spread out over a bunch of different fc's so just use the cross world linkshell to talk (although that is pretty quiet most of the time anyway).

4 hours ago, bcofn said:

There is a MUK free company but I don't think it's that active.The people playing are spread out over a bunch of different fc's so just use the cross world linkshell to talk (although that is pretty quiet most of the time anyway).

There's a way to change that (I normally at least say Hi if I log in and someone else is on)

37 minutes ago, wev said:

:omg:

Don't click on the spoiler if you haven't finished Shadowbringers

Reveal hidden contents

The last parts of the SB story and absolute fucking bangers. Easily the best stuff Square has put out in decades. Only FF XI's Chains of Promathia can compare.

On 09/09/2020 at 16:23, wev said:

There's a way to change that (I normally at least say Hi if I log in and someone else is on)

Hey I pretty much always say hi. Sadly between cutscenes closing the message window, only having 4 chat tabs and if you're in an instance often being too busy to type it's often really easy to miss messages.

Will be interesting to see if they can maintain the quality going into the next expansion. I've really enjoyed my time on the first and the main Ascian characters and i'm not sure I find the possibility of going back to more Garlemald (and associated characters) quite as compelling.

4 minutes ago, bcofn said:

Hey I pretty much always say hi. Sadly between cutscenes closing the message window, only having 4 chat tabs and if you're in an instance often being too busy to type it's often really easy to miss messages.

Will be interesting to see if they can maintain the quality going into the next expansion. I've really enjoyed my time on the first and the main Ascian characters and i'm not sure I find the possibility of going back to more Garlemald (and associated characters) quite as compelling.

Are you Dalek?

12 minutes ago, bcofn said:

This is one of the reasons that I cancelled my sub (the main one being that they neutered healers to the point of tedium in 5.0) - I have a very strong feeling that the game has peaked with Shadowbringers. The First, Emet-Selch, Ardbert and the unique threat to the world 

Spoiler

the ever-present flood of light, instead of your standard fire and brimstone Armageddon

made for such an amazing new setting and storyline that I doubt it can be repeated, especially if (as seems likely) 6.0 will focus on Garlemald/Garlean Empire. I just find all of that stuff incredibly boring and I’m not invested in any of it. Zenos is just rubbish in comparison.

Would love to be proved wrong and their writing team have proved themselves many times over but I’d very surprised if they come up with something as compelling as the brilliance of Shadowbringers again. You can only leave home for the first time once, if you catch my drift...

6 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

This is one of the reasons that I cancelled my sub (the main one being that they neutered healers to the point of tedium in 5.0) - I have a very strong feeling that the game has peaked with Shadowbringers. The First, Emet-Selch, Ardbert and the unique threat to the world 

I honestly didn't find the loss of a DoT pressed about every minute all that much of a loss. In content that doesn't require all that much healing you were still spending 95% of the time before spamming a single dps or aoe ability. It does depend on the content your're doing though and dungeons and the like simply aren't that challenging but I certainly don't find the savage raids and EX trials when they're current tedious. But then I don't like farming and part of what I like about the role is being able to drag people through a fight so I tend to enjoy practice parties and prog far more. I feel a lot of the complaints about healers are based on perfect groups and it's much more fun when everything is going wrong.

Zenos is pretty boring but (spoilers for after 5.0):

Spoiler

The Garlean empire is already dead. It's in revolt and Zenos isn't interested in being any kind of leader. They've said that 6.0 is supposed to be the resolution of the Ascian/Zodiark plot. So it can't just be a repeat of Stormblood in terms of a straight attack of the empire in a new place. Plus it's the same writer that did ShB and a lot of the earlier stuff that introduced the Warriors of Darkness and the Crystal Tower and the post ShB story has been good so far, so i'm reasonably confident and kinda think there will be some big twist away from Zenos over the course of 5.4 and 5.5. I think the biggest possible drop off point would be when they try to move onto something new after the Ascians are dealt with.

7 minutes ago, bcofn said:

I honestly didn't find the loss of a DoT pressed about every minute all that much of a loss. In content that doesn't require all that much healing you were still spending 95% of the time before spamming a single dps or aoe ability. It does depend on the content your're doing though and dungeons and the like simply aren't that challenging but I certainly don't find the savage raids and EX trials when they're current tedious. But then I don't like farming and part of what I like about the role is being able to drag people through a fight so I tend to enjoy practice parties and prog far more. I feel a lot of the complaints about healers are based on perfect groups and it's much more fun when everything is going wrong.

Zenos is pretty boring but (spoilers for after 5.0):

Reveal hidden contents

The Garlean empire is already dead. It's in revolt and Zenos isn't interested in being any kind of leader. They've said that 6.0 is supposed to be the resolution of the Ascian/Zodiark plot. So it can't just be a repeat of Stormblood in terms of a straight attack of the empire in a new place. Plus it's the same writer that did ShB and a lot of the earlier stuff that introduced the Warriors of Darkness and the Crystal Tower and the post ShB story has been good so far, so i'm reasonably confident and kinda think there will be some big twist away from Zenos over the course of 5.4 and 5.5. I think the biggest possible drop off point would be when they try to move onto something new after the Ascians are dealt with.

Oh healing is always the most fun when it’s all going to shit and you’re the only one keeping the wheels from falling off, I totally agree there. My fondest memories of the game were running clueless first-timers through the Alliance raids and barely keeping the entire rickety edifice from toppling down with people falling left, right and centre. 

I just think that 5.0 homogenised and fundamentally simplified the role in a way that meant that I simply wasn’t enjoying it as much. I mained Scholar and they fixed it a little by bringing Energy Drain back for example but automating fairy healing and removing the distinction between Eos and Selene just seemed like a needlessly blunt solution to a non-existent problem to me. Dungeons and low-level content became tediously dull for me in a way they weren’t before and even progging savage raids just didn’t have the same catch as it used to. So it goes. Glad some continued to enjoy it though as the game is always in need of good healers.

I think the writing team will come up with something decent for sure and I’ve been following the post-ShB story to see how it resolved. I think it mainly comes down to Emet-Selch being the best antagonist that SE have written for decades. It’s a very very tall order to top his story arch. I have faith that 6.0 will be good but it would have to be of comparable quality to Shadowbringers to bring me back I think and that’s where my doubts lie.

Guess we’ll see. The game’s in safe hands though so I’m sure it’ll continue to be a success either way.

• 1 month later...