Microsoft Kinect

Asura

It's mad how cheap Move is compared to this. Mad. What the fuck was microsoft thinking? All that expensive bollocks so you can wave around like a total plum. You pay more for it, it will have less games due to the fact that they have to be tailor made for it, and you feel like a wazzock using it. It's fucking dead in the water. It prints debts.

How cheap move is? It's £65 for a starter pack and nunchuck which allows one person to play. Another £60 for the two controller parts for player 2. It's quite expensive, At least as expensive as kinect for a two player game. You don't even get a terrible game for free like you do with kinect.

I'm talking rubbish as usual yet you've quoted the same prices, in fact you've shown that it's more expensive than I have seen for just one player to get everything. Oh and you've also said some online prices that save you £5-8. Plus you still don't get a terrible game for free

Same prices? :facepalm:

My prices were £65 and another £60 for player two, based off what I saw on the high street yesterday. Your prices were £75 and £60. So you're right, there's not the same, one of yours is higher. Or £58 and £48 with your adjusted prices. So we've got £135, £125 and £106 for two players with no game. Not exactly what I'd call cheap. Although thank you for pointing out the sub controller can be had for £18. It took me a while to find out which one store was selling it so low but I wanted one and came away disappointed yesterday.

The point is, they're both massively overpriced.

I don't get why you're pushing a free "terrible" game as a positive. Still, in the EU starter pack there's a demo disc with 9 demos. The US starter pack has Sports Champions. So it's not like there's nothing to use your new toy with.

Are the Americans paying more for their starter pack then? Seems a bit off that we get demos which can be had from the PSN and they get the show piece launch title.

The only thing you need for one player is the starter pack for £40 as SC says. There are no games out yet where you need the navigation wand

Except for Resident Evil 5 and I assume RUSE.

Hmm. Saying that in the UK Move is a bargain because you don't need to buy a game because you can play some demos?

Game + 2 standard controllers + eye = £110 at RRP in the uk, and I've left out any nav controller (online discounts applying only to this, and not kinect, isn't an apples to apples comparison). And, arguably, the second move controller should have been mandatory anyhow to access the full move experience - from just sports champions, archery, gladiator duel both feel far better for having two, and most of the more interesting tech demos have two.

Um, and those people saying that you could use a standard controller rather than a navigation controller hopefully aren't planning to do that. The button layout is entirely different, and a DS3 doesn't rest easily in one hand whilst still allowing you to operate the various controls and buttons without dropping it.

You assume people have no Sixaxis or Dual Shock 3?

It's a stop gap sure. Aren't most people going to eventually want the controller designed for one hand to use with their one hand? It works but it doesn't feel entirely comfortable and whatever the nunchuck is called now has everything positioned nicely for one hand.

I think some people have wrongly come in here, seen me talk about the price of Move and without thinking just scribbled their answer. My original response was in reply to this

It's mad how cheap Move is compared to this. Mad. What the fuck was microsoft thinking?

and if we take into account

Game + 2 standard controllers + eye = £110 at RRP in the uk, and I've left out any nav controller (online discounts applying only to this, and not kinect, isn't an apples to apples comparison)

That a whole £20 difference can be considered to be "mad cheap" in comparison was the issue I had. No discussion of what has better games, the tech etc. Just that to come into the Kinect thread to spout bollocks is a bit much.

It's a stop gap sure. Aren't most people going to eventually want the controller designed for one hand to use with their one hand? It works but it doesn't feel entirely comfortable and whatever the nunchuck is called now has everything positioned nicely for one hand.

Sure, but you don't need to. It's a choice.

Just like not buying any of it.

Hmm. Saying that in the UK Move is a bargain because you don't need to buy a game because you can play some demos?

I didn't say that.

Game + 2 standard controllers + eye = £110 at RRP in the uk, and I've left out any nav controller (online discounts applying only to this, and not kinect, isn't an apples to apples comparison). And, arguably, the second move controller should have been mandatory anyhow to access the full move experience - from just sports champions, archery, gladiator duel both feel far better for having two, and most of the more interesting tech demos have two.

I didn't even mention Kinect. I was simply correcting Beertiger. And some of those prices I listed are in places like Asda and Tesco as well.

There are pros and cons to the way both systems are packaged. Obviously, with Kinect, it's just a single thing you're buying in addition to the console. Keeps it nice and simple, but it's far more expensive up front as well.

The Move is much cheaper to start off with. Only £30 if you have a PlayStation Eye already. The demos from the demo disc are apparently on PSN so you're not missing out there. It's much more complicated after that. To buy all the extras for two players would set you back just as much as Kinect. If it supported four players then it would be much worse. It's stupid that it doesn't really. There's no reason the Navigation Controller had to be wireless.

Um, and those people saying that you could use a standard controller rather than a navigation controller hopefully aren't planning to do that. The button layout is entirely different, and a DS3 doesn't rest easily in one hand whilst still allowing you to operate the various controls and buttons without dropping it.

And yet people are saying it's fine.

I didn't even mention Kinect. I was simply correcting Beertiger.

Who was simply correcting barkbat. Although I'm not sure how correcting me is giving me two different sets of prices. One slightly higher than quoted and one slightly less. Like i said before though, I'm glad you did. A nunchuck for £18 is much more reasonable and just what I was looking for. A tad cheeky using it to prove move is cheaper when it's only that price on one store online though. That's play.com for those kids also wanting to save some money.

When MS and Sony start scrabbling over bolted on motion controls - this is when Nintendo release their Wii follow up and crushes both with a big boot - like at the game over scene of Manic Miner.

They're hardly scrabbling over them though are they, they're taking them very seriously and it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll be standard controllers (plus one 'traditional') for the next generation machines.

I'm struggling to see where Nintendo's next disruption is going to come from.

They're hardly scrabbling over them though are they, they're taking them very seriously and it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll be standard controllers (plus one 'traditional') for the next generation machines.

I'm struggling to see where Nintendo's next disruption is going to come from.

tennis-racket-balls1.jpg

shigeru_miyamoto_100.jpg.jpg "The next revolution came to me while I was playing tennis. Wouldn't it be good if more people could play tennis without the difficulty of machines? So that's why I invented the Nintendo Racket."

When MS and Sony start scrabbling over bolted on motion controls - this is when Nintendo release their Wii follow up and crushes both with a big boot - like at the game over scene of Manic Miner.

What can Nintendo do with its next console? Get the remote as accurate as the Move controller, which is now the benchmark? They've barely made use of Motion Plus themselves since they launched it, nevermind third parties.

I think Nintendo are in a slightly precarious position now that Sony has caught up.

I think they are in a slightly precarious position in that they are going to have to do something mindblowing in order to get all the casual mums and dads that have bought a wii to buy another console. And not mindblowing in a graphical or even hardware way. They are going to need to bring it with wii sports and do something with wii fit

Why do people keep comparing the price like this? The initial outlay for the Move (sans console) could be about £40 if you shop around. If it's not for you, or it doesn't change gaming like you thought it would, you've only really wasted £40. Only an uncertain idiot would spend £110 straight away before realising 'actually, it's crap'.

I think some people have wrongly come in here, seen me talk about the price of Move and without thinking just scribbled their answer. My original response was in reply to this

and if we take into account

That a whole £20 difference can be considered to be "mad cheap" in comparison was the issue I had. No discussion of what has better games, the tech etc. Just that to come into the Kinect thread to spout bollocks is a bit much.

Beertiger do your homework. It's embarrassing reading your ill informed opinions and watching you desperately trying to backfill the hole you've just dug as everyone points out the errors in your argument.

The bottom line is this - the entry level price for Move for existing PS3 owners is realistically around the £40 to £50 mark at the moment (Less if you already own the camera). For Kinect it's £120 to £130.

Why do people keep comparing the price like this? The initial outlay for the Move (sans console) could be about £40 if you shop around. If it's not for you, or it doesn't change gaming like you thought it would, you've only really wasted £40. Only an uncertain idiot would spend £110 straight away before realising 'actually, it's crap'.

Well exactly. Kinnect is a bigger risk, yet the entry ticket costs three times more. No one will take the gamble unless there is a unique game to draw them in, and Microsoft have bolllock all.