Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Every year the PS3 has loads of games coming out, they're often disappointments that don't justify the outrageous pre-release hype though.

Resistance 2 going to beat Gears... oh wait. Killzone 2 best FPS ever... oh wait. And so on.

I'm sure if you found the equivalent discussion from last year, or the year before, you'd laugh at most of the entries on those "Year of the PS3 because..." lists.

And then there was Demon's Souls.

I think Microsoft are cocky after the almight achievement of getting Xbox Live to work.

But the difference is that online functionality was something a vast swathe of Xbox users wanted and was not provided on any other console. The parasite suited the host.

With Natal, you've got a predominantly hardcore user base being sold a predominatly casual orientated add on, and the demand from any new adopters is being amply met by a cheaper, better known rival with better software.

If Natal was a stand alone new machine where 360 games were played in a way that Wii plays gamecube games, you might be able to attract a new market, but expecting the 360 market to embrace it is lunacy.

It's like having a hello kitty decal set for a bradley tank and its going to be a massive failure.

Every year the PS3 has loads of games coming out, they're often disappointments that don't justify the outrageous pre-release hype though.

Often Disappointments?

This gen SCE holds one of the highest meta critic averages of any publisher, and they cover an incredibly wide range of genres, from the traditional FPS's to the more experimental releases. Fair play if you've felt let down by them, or if you want to call the whole culture of reviewing/hype/metacritic into question, but by any fair measure, SCE have been a consistently solid publisher this gen.

Resistance 2 going to beat Gears... oh wait. Killzone 2 best FPS ever... oh wait. And so on.

Oh come on, you can hardly throw that mud exclusively at Sony. If you believe MS hype then the launch of NXE was apparently one of the most important moments of the internet! Generating hype is all part of the game and both companies do it. Sometimes they hit (Uncharted 2/Gears 2) and sometimes they miss (Resistance 2/Too Human) but it all adds to the spectacle.

I've no doubt MS will have a good showing at E3, they know who their bread and butter is and they'll make sure the core gamer is kept happy. Likewise Sony will have held a few surprises back to keep their E3 presser special... and afterwards we can all come together and laugh at Nintendo.*

*... until they unveil the new Zelda of course. ;)

And that quote was from the guy behind the 32X... they probably should listen to him, especially if it's going to cost around the same price as the 32X.

Personally, I think they should have waited for the release of the 360 2 (or whatever they're going to call it). I know MS are trying to squeeze as much as possible out of the current platform, but launching it with a new console would have at least given it a chance. We're now looking at an expensive add on to a console that's 5 years old, and nearing the end of it's natural life cycle. Hmmmm.... does that sound like the 32X at all?

Oh come on, you can hardly throw that mud exclusively at Sony. If you believe MS hype then the launch of NXE was apparently one of the most important moments of the internet!

Wasn't that the first time a console interface has been redesigned during it's life without any need for new hardware? I'd say that actually is a fairly significant event in console history.

Wasn't that the first time a console interface has ever been redesigned during it's life without any need for new hardware? I'd say that actually is a fairly significant event in console history.

Really? The whole of console history? Bigger than the video game crash of 1983? Bigger than the Wii? Bigger than the DS?

Wasn't that the first time a console interface has been redesigned during it's life without any need for new hardware? I'd say that actually is a fairly significant event in console history.

Significant for the few million gaming enthusiasts who own a 360, sure. But as Greenburg literally phrased it:

With that 14 million people [getting the update], it’s probably the biggest moment in the history of the Internet.

Source

Which is a bit :quote: dontchthink?

Anyway, I'm not even knocking it, I love the circus of watching corporations beat their chest and promise the Earth, it keeps everyone on top of their game. My only point was that it's something all of the major manufacturers do to varying degrees.

Often Disappointments?

This gen SCE holds one of the highest meta critic averages of any publisher, and they cover an incredibly wide range of genres, from the traditional FPS's to the more experimental releases. Fair play if you've felt let down by them, or if you want to call the whole culture of reviewing/hype/metacritic into question, but by any fair measure, SCE have been a consistently solid publisher this gen.

Solid yes, but considering the pre-release hype for almost every title has been "the best game evar!!!1!", then solid ranks as a dissapointment. Do you get how this works?

Oh come on, you can hardly throw that mud exclusively at Sony. If you believe MS hype then the launch of NXE was apparently one of the most important moments of the internet! Generating hype is all part of the game and both companies do it. Sometimes they hit (Uncharted 2/Gears 2) and sometimes they miss (Resistance 2/Too Human) but it all adds to the spectacle.

You're comparing company PR to fanboys on Internet forums there though. I don't think Sony ever claimed that Killzone 2 would be the best FPS ever, that was the community.

Anyway, I'm sure all will have solid E3 conferences, I was just trying to kill the annual "Microsoft is teh d00med, year of the PS3" meme before it got started again.

Do you get how this works?

Oh Jesus RJ, is there really any need for that sort of snideness? Sometimes I think you take this stuff waaaay to seriously.

Anyway, Uncharted 2 and Little Big Planet won how many awards? I undersold them when I described them as merely solid, they're one of the most consistently FUCKING AWESOME publishers out there, and the hype they give their games is perfectly in line with that of other publishers.

They're completely different, in that the peripherals are unique and made for those specific games. They even include them with the games themselves. I assume Microsoft want Natal to be adopted by as many titles as possible, and be the 'new hot thing' on the market; the next Wii remote, perhaps?

If Natal has some killer app software included with it, it might shift a bunch of units early on like the Motion Plus did, but I can't see developers supporting it in any meaningful way. Games will need to be compatible with the regular, default controller as well, so any Natal support will be half-arsed. And it's the old catch 22 situation: people won't buy it without decent software support, but there won't be decent software support unless a huge percentage of the userbase buy it.

Exactly, it all comes down to the software and how they implement the tech. Although I might seem negative in this thread I am actually pretty excited by the technology but from all the tech demos that MS have shown off so far it seems to me that MS are going down the wrong route and are just making a next gen eyetoy. And if this new price point that is rumoured is accurate then MS really dont have a clue. I honestly hope that MS have something in the works that will blow us all away, a killer app that uses natal/wave that gives us an experience that isnt possible on other consoles, but judging by what we have all been shown so far theres nothing that makes me want to rush to the shops and pre order the unit. E3 is going to be make or break I think with this.

That might have something to do with the fact that the interface in previous generation consoles didn't even need redesigning, you just put your game in the loading slot and got on with what consoles were always designed to do (something to do with playing these things called games I think it was), but as they become more PC-like, the interface actually needs updating because games aren't the sole or in the minds of some of the manufacturers, the primary purpose anymore.

It might have been if they hadn't taken an ugly dashboard which was a bit unwieldy and turned into into a complete headfucking mess. I can't remember where anything is on the NXE, which I assumed was because I don't have an xbox anymore. But everytime I see someone using their own xbox they spend a while trawling around the menus looking for something.

Odd that nobody has mentioned the giant rumour that the official name is 'wave' yet.

:)