Microsoft Kinect

Asura

The thing is, when I started this thread after seeing it at E3 last year, I was genuinely interested in the whole Natal idea. I mean, given, I had no idea what sorts of games we'd see for it, but similarly, it seemed an interest piece of technology.

In under 2 weeks though, it will have been an entire year since that reveal at E3 2009 - and we haven't seen anything that couldn't have been done with the PS2 EyeToy. Technologically, yes, we all know why it's much better than that - but that means nothing in the long term; it's the games that will decide this.

This E3 2010 reveal of theirs is going to have to be absolutely incredible if it's going to get people on board with Natal.

Don't worry, I'm collecting all these quotes as they are going to be gold after June 13th. That's the day that everyone will suddenly understand that this is the future. After June 13th you'll look at your controllers and feel pity for them. In a year, you'll be binning them.

Hey Face, I've got a friend to introduce you to. This is palm, and I think you guys are gonna go great together.

The thing is, when I started this thread after seeing it at E3 last year, I was genuinely interested in the whole Natal idea. I mean, given, I had no idea what sorts of games we'd see for it, but similarly, it seemed an interest piece of technology.

I thought this at the time. It seems like they've got no idea what sorts of games we'll see for it either.

Can't wait for the hugely extravagant Cirque du Soleil extravagaza then wheeling out Natal and cutting to people balancing virtual plates on their heads and popping virtual balloons with their fingers and proclaiming it as the future.

Technologically, yes, we all know why it's much better than that

I don't even know that and I'm getting too old to care. All I know is that it makes you look like a twat. At least when you're holding a wiimote you seem to have a purpose in life.

I finally went to see Avatar 3D at the cinema last night. (Late to the party I know).

If MS can get this right I think the mix of 3D and Full Body Motion GamingTM could be fucking incredible in a few years time.

I finally went to see Avatar 3D at the cinema last night. (Late to the party I know).

If MS can get this right I think the mix of 3D and Full Body Motion GamingTM could be fucking incredible in a few years time.

Only problem is, MS are bringing the Full Body Motion Gaming, and Sony are bringing the 3D.

Only problem is, MS are bringing the Full Body Motion Gaming, and Sony are bringing the 3D.

Sony are obviously pushing 3D, as they want to sell their lovely new 3D capable tellies. But the technology itself isn't limited to the PS3, but it is absolutely dependent on what sort of TV you're using (i.e. if it supports 3D or not).

I love it how the mainstream isn't even onto HD broadcasting, and yet the TV manufacturers want us to get rid of our LCDs/Plasmas and buy new ones. That's one of the reasons why I can see 3D not really hitting the big time for another 5-6 years, when people may be replacing their current TV models. By that time you would expect the next generation consoles to be released, when it may be more standardised. At the moment, 3D television is a gimmick.

Natal will launch in the US this October with a price tag of $149.

That’s according to a trusted source, who told us that the motion sensing camera will also be bundled with the Xbox 360 Arcade console for $299.

We were informed that prices outside of the US would be determined based on a number of factors, including exchange rates. Based on current rates, the standalone unit would retail for £103 / €121, and the console and Natal bundle for £207 / €243.

The figure for the standalone unit is significantly higher than a previous sub-£50 estimate, but less than pricing recently suggested by European retailers. It’s also more expensive than Sony’s Natal rival Move, which will be available later this year with a game for less than $100.

Our source said that the device has been pencilled in for an October 26 worldwide launch, although we were advised that the date could yet shift by a few weeks either way.

We were also told Microsoft’s camera definitely won’t be called Natal and that its proper title will be revealed at E3 next month. It will also be heavily targeted at causal players and families.

“Microsoft expects to sell millions and millions of Natal units in its first year on the market so you can expect the software launch line-up to target non-traditional gamers,” our source said. “A major marketing campaign will also play a key role in attracting and educating the expanded audience about Xbox 360’s controller-free revolution.”

When contacted about this report, Microsoft told us that it "does not comment on rumour or speculation”.

Crazy theory here, but I think MS are using expensive, add-on Natal as a loss-making marketing push for their next Xbox which will have it as standard. Build a bit of word-of-mouth and development support now, announce new Xbox next year for Christmas 2011 release with it built in once developmental costs drop, if people take to it.

Wii was known by the code name of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006 then released November 19, 2006

But they called it the 'Wii' and the whole world LOL'd and made 'piss' jokes and the whole world remembered it for that. If they'd called it 'Super Dolphin' it wouldn't have had anywhere near that much free coverage.

I can't see MS renaming Natal to something that will have anywhere near that kind of impact.

I bet it'll be shit.

The MicroSoft Shiiiiiiiiit with Clay Davis advertising would conquer all.

EDIT: I think shynra was agreeing with you Sigourney!

I'm not hoping this means they are completely abandoning core games, because it definitely sounds that way now. It seems the 90's generation will be cut off from gaming if this continues at this pace.

£103 that's not too bad.

But i expect MS will have the games and the amaze to back this up at E3.

Since when did anything come out in the UK at the exact dollar-for-pound price as the US? I reckon it'll be a good £129, unless MS go crazy.

I'm not hoping this means they are completely abandoning core games, because it definitely sounds that way now. It seems the 90's generation will be cut off from gaming if this continues at this pace.

Why does it sound this way? The 360 is a hardcore gamer console and those people aren't suddenly going to switch over to family orientated mini-games. Besides, at that price it will die on its arse.

The technology is really cool, but no one will be interested until it's standard. At the moment it's just another HD-DVD add on.

Why does it sound this way? The 360 is a hardcore gamer console and those people aren't suddenly going to switch over to family orientated mini-games. Besides, at that price it will die on its arse.

The technology is really cool, but no one will be interested until it's standard. At the moment it's just another HD-DVD add on.

It sounds that way because the 360 pipeline has been steadily running dry. I think we're left to Fable 4 and Gears of War 3... If that's combined with a heavy assault of casual games, we might have another Nintendo E3 '08 conference on our hands.

The fact that they allegedly cancelled the entire Halo MMO because it was not casual enough is also worrying. It's not like they suddenly turned a leaf either. Ever since Sony's PS2 titles were already attracting the casual audiences with Singstar and Buzz, Microsoft has been trying to catch up. When Nintendo added the Wii to the mix, they were basically the only non-casual gaming machine on the block, despite hating that title and trying its best to cast it off with Lips, Scene It? and others.

What I'm getting at is that Microsoft may be overly focused on attracting the casuals to the extent that they might forget their 'core core' audience. The fact that Gears of War 3 was revealed beforehand might point towards the fact that they are going to have a very casual E3 this year. But if they actually do pull a Nintendo conference it might create quite some fallout. Unless Natal manages to impress core gamers as well, but so far causal and core have not mixed gently.