Microsoft Kinect

Asura

• 2 weeks later...
Microsoft’s Natal is still a good seven or eight months away from launch, but a research director for the platform holder has already confirmed that work has begun on the successor to the technology.

“When we invent something first like Natal, while we have a researcher working with the product group for the first version we already have a researcher thinking about the second version down the road,” Microsoft's Research Asia department director Hsiao-Wuen Hon told The Sydney Morning Herald, as spotted by Spong.

“We certainly hope we will continue to be holding that technology.”

Hon also added that Microsoft should have ideally been a leader – and not a follower – in the motion control sector, stating: “Looking back I can say we probably should have done more in the consumer space.”

Hon also added that Microsoft should have ideally been a leader – and not a follower – in the motion control sector, stating: “Looking back I can say we probably should have done more in the consumer space.”

"We should've been the ones to invent that really popular thing that made shit loads of easy money. I think not inventing the really popular thing that would make shit loads of easy money was where we went wrong. Looking back I think we would've done things differently and invented the really popular thing that would make shit loads of easy money."

Updates from Tech Flash.

To be precise, you'll want to clear an area extending at least 4 meters (a little more than 13 feet) away from the television. That's the back edge of the space to be taken into account by the Natal sensors. In terms of width and height, the field of vision naturally expands as it moves from the Natal device to that back edge, ending up a little more than 4 meters wide and 2.7 meters high (about 8 feet, 10 inches).
Natal, announced last year at the E3 video-game convention, is due out by the holidays. It's Microsoft's effort to bring its own "natural user interface" to the Xbox 360. It differs from Nintendo's Wii and Sony's upcoming Motion Controller, in that the camera system senses movement without requiring the gamer to hold a controller. (However, one of the details that emerged from the session is that controllers and accessories can be used in conjunction with moving around to add even more elements of control to games.)
The session included lots of technical details on the Natal device, including its three sensors for measuring the depth of the room, capturing the gamer's movement and ensuring adequate light. The machine-learning system can also tell where parts of your body should be even if they aren't visible to the camera, such as an arm tucked behind your back. (Technical phrase: "Extremity occlusion resilient.")

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/03/n...ject_natal.html

;)

Not only that, but it would only read 1 metre (or so) in height... which makes it quite a small window. And are you going to have to recalibrate if you are standing or sitting down, as that height won't take both. Which makes me think that the 4 metres is a minimum- as the original quote said.

"To be precise, you'll want to clear an area extending at least 4 meters (a little more than 13 feet) away from the television. "

If its field of view is 4m wide at 4m away, then correspondingly if you can only get 2m away you'll have to do your playing in a 2m-wide space. That's going to make multiplayer kind of intimate.

Probably why Eyetoy was always single player.

Not only that, but it would only read 1 metre (or so) in height... which makes it quite a small window.

Not necessarily - it'll depend at what height you mount the camera, for the vertical field of view. I doubt many people will have the camera mounted sitting on the floor.

Not only that, but it would only read 1 metre (or so) in height... which makes it quite a small window. And are you going to have to recalibrate if you are standing or sitting down, as that height won't take both. Which makes me think that the 4 metres is a minimum- as the original quote said.

"To be precise, you'll want to clear an area extending at least 4 meters (a little more than 13 feet) away from the television. "

I too lack common sense.

The 4 meter thing is bollocks. No one is going to design a game that requires you to stand that far back. They'll not want you running laps around the room either. The only 1 meter in height sounds like shit too. They've got it so it can track your whole body. We've seen people playing the thing half that distance away tracking the whole body.

That article sounds like a lot of speculative shite. I'd be surprised if they've actually played on one.

EDIT: the article didnt mention anything about 1 meter height. My bad. Who said that? You're wrong.

From the moment it was announced, I figured that I wouldn't be able to play anything on Natal if I wanted to. I could do a bit of rearranging (or buy a new house) but I'm not going to. And Microsoft can forget about wasting money on releasing it in Japan...

It's saying that that's as far as Natal can scan, not how much open space you'll need. You can stand a maximum 12 feet away, you won't be running back and forth 4 meters.

:(

This place sometimes.

Some people just don't read stuff, so they?

This place sometimes.

and? Was it :( or :( or :(

It was okay. Bit too wii like in it's style but it seemed very accurate and quite nice in the hand.

Played a table tennis effort and one where you had to blow birds into baskets which seemed to work well with the camera. That one was a bit like eye toy though. Obviously these are early devs but the ammount of speed an spin you could get on the table tennis was impressive. Hard to say if it felt any better to control than wii+. I did think it felt nicer to hold though. Lighter and more tactile. As ever the proof will be in the games.