Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Do you think ms think of it as a novel extra? Come on. Who the fuck is going to buy a 360 to play burnout without a controller?

The people stupid enough to buy it for that don't have an income.

That's sort of my point, I don't think people will.

It will either be called the 360+ or something lame, or they'll try and re-market it as a new thing that's a big voice and motion activated media hub where you can play games without your hands!!11!! I reckon though, it will still be a similar cost to a 'normal' 360 (or they will remove them from shelves completely) or otherwise, if you have one anyway, it will come bundled with wall-breaky-tard game and probably some other party games, like Nintendo did with Motion+.

It will be more equivalent to the Motion+ than the Balance board, in regards to price and 'involvement' methinks. Some games specifically for it, other games will be able to use it - but maybe more so than the balance board in regards to face tracking and voice activation of shit.

Well, that seems like the sensible idea IMHO anyway.

That's sort of my point, I don't think people will.

It will either be called the 360+ or something lame, or they'll try and re-market it as a new thing that's a big voice and motion activated media hub where you can play games without your hands!!11!! I reckon though, it will still be a similar cost to a 'normal' 360 (or they will remove them from shelves completely) or otherwise, if you have one anyway, it will come bundled with wall-breaky-tard game and probably some other party games, like Nintendo did with Motion+.

It will be more equivalent to the Motion+ than the Balance board, in regards to price and 'involvement' methinks. Some games specifically for it, other games will be able to use it - but maybe more so than the balance board in regards to face tracking and voice activation of shit.

Well, that seems like the sensible idea IMHO anyway.

Yeah, but nah, that's not it.

They wanna sell 100million of these wretcherd consoles. This isn't an add on, this is it. The 360 is getting repositioned as a super casual console, more casual than the Wii.

Don't think the 360 is as it is because MS love hardcore gaming, the 360 is so hardcore because MS mistakenly thought the hardcorer the better selling - not just their mistake, we all thought it, even Sony. If MS had known it was a waggle machine that gave big sales they would'vebeen waggling like absolute mah-fuckers from the get go.

Yeah, the 360 sells a lot of software but as I said, MS aren't in this to make money on software, they were in it to get under your telly.

Because it's so sad leaving Ramone out on his own like this.

You guys are always asking "Why waggle my Wii when pressing a button will do?"

Well, it's because for some, pretending to swing a sword is fun.

It's a shame that it turns out it isn't.

They wanna sell 100million of these wretcherd consoles. This isn't an add on, this is it. The 360 is getting repositioned as a super casual console, more casual than the Wii.

Don't think the 360 is as it is because MS love hardcore gaming, the 360 is so hardcore because MS mistakenly thought the hardcorer the better selling - not just their mistake, we all thought it, even Sony. If MS had known it was a waggle machine that gave big sales they would'vebeen waggling like absolute mah-fuckers from the get go.

Yeah, the 360 sells a lot of software but as I said, MS aren't in this to make money on software, they were in it to get under your telly.

Well yeah, I'm not deluded enough to think MS are lovely people with the concerns of gamers like us at their heart (much as I never really thought Nintendo are either) but we aren't on gamefaqs so I don't expect any of us really do (when we're all being serious... or semi serious at least anyway). So although I do agree with you to an extent, I think that the super waggle machine will be if anything, the next version.

I said it before and I wasn't agreed with but I think for the moment at least, Natal will be used to introduce the public to camera and voice control and as a vague foothold against the family friendly waggling behemoth that is the Wii.

I just can't imagine that Natal's introduction will be like GC -> Wii. I can't see the majority of the big EA games playable with pure limb waving and although we haven't really got info on any more 'hardcore' games for next year, there are other franchises that at the moment could utilise camera and voice stuff in addition to an existing controller rather than replacing it entirely. Which was also what the Dev that mentioned the grenade throwing said, which again, was just an example, iirc, albeit a pretty shit one).

OK, so we might be looking at the end of gaming as we know it (which I also don't really believe either) but there's still a while left and arguably enough time for things to come around in regards to the pure waggle party side of it becoming more involved and 'better' in regards to actual 'gaming' that we know and love.

Personally, I can't be annoyed about the stuff that they are working on cos it's all small steps towards a motherfuckin' holodeck.

Shane Kim

Project Natal has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo. It has everything to do with breaking down barriers and getting to the mass market, where controllers are barriers and they’re intimidating. It’s awkward for some people to learn to use a controller. This is really about unleashing a new category of controller-free gaming and entertainment.

Good find on the quote.

Yeah alright, I might sound a bit like the "20xx is THE year of the PS3" brigade or something but I do think that the first xbox did work quite well in hindsight in regards to the brand; the 360 has certainly given the PS3 a bit of a run for it's money considering there was a lot of 'MS can only maek teh office programs and Windoze' initially. Even though they did it in a very cack handed Team America type way.

Either way, it's certainly interesting times, just makes me really quite intrigued what we'll get next; the 3D TV 2160hp beasts or just same graphics, more waggle.

The difference between the Wii and the 360 is that you can pretty much count on the fingers of one finger the number of amazing games that come out on the Wii that aren't by Nintendo. So if Nintendo say 'this is a novelty machine', then as we've seen, you're stuck with it.

Alternatively, Microsoft can attempt to 're-position' the 360 as much as they like by only ever making Natal games from now on if that's what they chose to do, and you'd still be able to spend the rest of your life playing incredible games from third parties catering to people who don't give a hoot for whatever Natal will offer.

It's just more versatile, I suppose.

More vitriolic opinions aside, I think my biggest concern about natal is that it's been nearly a year since the last e3, when it was unveiled, and we've yet to see anything we didn't see in and around that e3 show. I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's difficult when all we've seen is a single crude xbox live arcade title of questionable quality, and that painting sim that hasn't been seen outside of ms's carefully orchestrated keynote last may. I don't count milo as the legitimacy of that demo was highly suspect.

And people said the original Xbox was MS's attempt to get a brand out there, ignoring the fact that sony didn't do a half hearted console first. Or Nintendo with the Wii, it was just all BAM! There's the Wii!

Actually I think history records it as something like...

Nintendo with the wii

They produced the gamecube a half hearted undersupported underselling load of nonsense....

They strapped motion sensing casual bollocks to it and BAM! There's the wii

They strapped motion sensing casual bollocks to it and BAM! There's the wii

Which is to miss the poitn so bad with how Nintendo approached the Wii, and the ground up design to appeal to the casual market, entirely

A GC with a motion attachment wouldnt have sold. the Wii did. I can't see Natal selling for the same reason.

The fact that RARE are working on PD for Natal makes this a day one purchase for me, which is unusual as I don't like gimmicky things!

And where did you read that, some Rare fansite? I heard for a fact Rare have been working on Killer Instinct 3 for bloody ages too, they keep leaving clues about its existence whenever they get a chance -_-

Whatever Rare releases for Natal, it ain't going to be Perfect Dark, they shitcanned both PD2 and Kameo 2, despite proclaiming that both PDZ and Kameo had performed more than well commercially.

Which is to miss the poitn so bad with how Nintendo approached the Wii, and the ground up design to appeal to the casual market, entirely

A GC with a motion attachment wouldnt have sold. the Wii did. I can't see Natal selling for the same reason.

My trollish response may have beena sarcastic response to another troll...

but by all means take it at face value if you want :facepalm:

oh and to be clear you are saying that if microsoft waited til end of gen then took teh 360 put it in a smaller case added natal to it as a design choice from the ground up and then sold it as a completely new "next gen" console then that would be jus tlike the wii and therefore "better"?

for the record I think Natal is a terrible idea as an add on and as a redesigned "next gen" console...

My trollish response may have beena sarcastic response to another troll...

but by all means take it at face value if you want :)

oh and to be clear you are saying that if microsoft waited til end of gen then took teh 360 put it in a smaller case added natal to it as a design choice from the ground up and then sold it as a completely new "next gen" console then that would be jus tlike the wii and therefore "better"?

No, it would still be shit of course. Natal is a massive shit and nothing is going to change that, but clearly MS want to appeal to the nonnerd and the 'better' way to do this is with a complete relaunch and rebranding as Nintendo did with the Wii. Come on Clipper, this isn't a complex theory.

No, it would still be shit of course. Natal is a massive shit and nothing is going to change that, but clearly MS want to appeal to the nonnerd and the 'better' way to do this is with a complete relaunch and rebranding as Nintendo did with the Wii. Come on Clipper, this isn't a complex theory.

I know its not complex I was simply responding to your BAM! theres the Wii comment as it was more than a little disingenuous given the history of the gamecube :quote:

And I agree that Natal sounds shit.. but then I am not keen on the "casual" games for ALL.. I enjoy them and play them of course but I am not quite as evangelical as some.. and I believe that there is a market for different consoles for different markets and demographics so why rush to make them all try to chase the same audience...

My hope is that Natal is like eyetoy and is a little curio...

cos lets face it NOONE apart from Nintendo has found a decent use for motion control... to chase that market is a folly which will lead to bad sales.. go talk to the third party publishers on the wii :)

The fact that RARE are working on PD for Natal makes this a day one purchase for me, which is unusual as I don't like gimmicky things!

No they aren't. they've explicitly stated that their Natal games are going to be new IP developed from the ground up for the system. There's not going to be a PD game for Natal, and it would be a fetid bag of shite if they did make one.

I know its not complex I was simply responding to your BAM! theres the Wii comment as it was more than a little disingenuous given the history of the gamecube :quote:

And I agree that Natal sounds shit.. but then I am not keen on the "casual" games for ALL.. I enjoy them and play them of course but I am not quite as evangelical as some.. and I believe that there is a market for different consoles for different markets and demographics so why rush to make them all try to chase the same audience...

My hope is that Natal is like eyetoy and is a little curio...

cos lets face it NOONE apart from Nintendo has found a decent use for motion control... to chase that market is a folly which will lead to bad sales.. go talk to the third party publishers on the wii :)

Silent Hill on the Wii says 'Hi'