Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Had Kinect for 2 days now, and it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

The speech capabilities are excellent; went from the Kinect Hub straight into Last.FM and whenever I wanted it to go to another song, it worked everytime. Perfect for someone like me who lazes in front of the laptop with the controller at the other end of the room. And I have a Glasweigan accent, and it understood me.

Yeah, the initial games' longevity comes into question, but there is no doubt that the games are fun. The 'raft' minigame is very responsive to moving left and right, and although there is a little lag (not as much as you'd imagine) when you jump, it doesn't detract from the gameplay.

If you've got kids, they'll go ape-shit for it. Causal players will too.

And Dance Central is quite awesome with genuinely funny freestyle moments.

A surprising thumbs up.

Had Kinect for 2 days now, and it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

The speech capabilities are excellent; went from the Kinect Hub straight into Last.FM and whenever I wanted it to go to another song, it worked everytime. Perfect for someone like me who lazes in front of the laptop with the controller at the other end of the room. And I have a Glasweigan accent, and it understood me.

Yeah, the initial games' longevity comes into question, but there is no doubt that the games are fun. The 'raft' minigame is very responsive to moving left and right, and although there is a little lag (not as much as you'd imagine) when you jump, it doesn't detract from the gameplay.

A surprising thumbs up.

Thanks for that :)

A surprising thumbs up.

schater.gif

Another thumbs up here, now I have one in my home any worries of space have gone as it works fine in my modest living room. The setup is dead easy and even quite fun. Kinect adventures is a good laugh although a little limited in longevity I suspect. Luckily the included demos of dance central, joyride and fitness will keep you going, but I'd definately reccomend the purchase of another game to go with it.

Yeah, the set-up was painless. Speaking of pain, do make sure you have a fair bit of space; when throwing the discus in Kinect Sports, my first swing took the candle right off the top of one of my speakers, and my second attempt (now deciding to arc upwards for a better distance) resulted in following through the throw with my hand smashing into the ceiling light-shade.

Sigh.

I think that Microsoft should have tried to partner with developers to create 'blessed' 2nd party versions of titles in the popular genres (e.g. Fitness, Dance).

Done correctly, it could have massively helped with their marketing and been mutually beneficial.

Friend of mine played the bowling thing in Sports and he said that there didn't seem to be any way of curling the ball by twisting your hand (as you would in real life). Bit daft really...

Still intrigued though, I need to have a go myself.

You could when I played it, but because it can't read wrist movements you had to do an exaggerated arm movement in the direction you wanted to spin.

Friend of mine played the bowling thing in Sports and he said that there didn't seem to be any way of curling the ball by twisting your hand (as you would in real life). Bit daft really...

Still intrigued though, I need to have a go myself.

You have to follow through with your arm to ad spin according to gaf.

Well fair enough I suppose but doesn't things like that just make it clearly worse than Wii / Move bowling as you actually do something far more similar to the real life action of bowling?

Again it is probably going to take some time for some cleverer uses of the technology to surface but the no controller thing sort of falls down a bit if these things aren't more like the real game it's trying to be. Then again, I suppose if it's fun...

Is this thread on the turn? Next week will be very interesting indeed. I'm personally not getting one just yet (thinking about whether I can switch my Games Room around to give me the space or not), but am interested in what you guys will make of it.

Yep as Simms has said even GAF which for months has shit upon Kinect has turned all positive since the release date with glowing recommendations. I'll expect the same for here as people begin, as some have already to get them setup indoors.

I'll pick this up when it's 50 quid with a game bundled...

Good luck waiting. :hat:

I have to say that the Your Shape UI stuff is pretty mind-boggling - seems to be the only Kinect title to really do inventive things with the Kinect hardware.

Yeah, that GiantBomb video has half tempted me. Another step forward to living in the future!

Watching Giant Bomb's Vinnie try and play Dance Central is pretty hilarious :D

Gerstmann is always surprisingly energetic too. And Babs thingy from comicvine looks about a tenth the size of those lovable fatties at giantbomb.

A few people on here have said your shape looks good, but so far they've been trying to select a hard drive for about five minutes.