Microsoft Kinect

Fuck rllmuk, you bunch of utterly miserable, nit picking, self entitled cunts. Apart from the ones that aren't but these days that's a god damn rarity. There has to be a forum out there for people that like games and are excited by the medium, because this place sure as shit isn't anymore.

:mellow:

Fuck rllmuk, you bunch of utterly miserable, nit picking, self entitled cunts. Apart from the ones that aren't but these days that's a god damn rarity. There has to be a forum out there for people that like games and are excited by the medium, because this place sure as shit isn't anymore.

I must be a rarity.... :hat: cos I'm not any of those other things... I think... :unsure:

As for Kinect, the only people I know with 360s apart from youse lots are a couple of guys at work and a guy I knows son. The young uns have no interest, according to matey, while the older guys are too busy playing CoD and New Vegas to care.

Personally, I've had my fill of motion games with the Wii so I'm not going to be picking up Move or Kinect anytime soon. But I like new tech and would genuinely be interested in trying it out, I'm not gonna spend £130 doing so though... Hey anybody else remember Blockbuster renting out PS1s? Maybe something like that'd work for Kinect... maybe.

:)

Did you think things would change? This place will always be the same.. Just remember the people that are being negative now will be the ones queuing up on release night to buy it. Trufax.

It's because we're mostly seasoned gamers who can see through these 'me too' shenanigans.

I'll happily buy a Kinect if the software comes through.

It's because we're mostly seasoned gamers who can see through these 'me too' shenanigans.

Micorsoft are trying to position the Kinect into the marketspace that they think the Wii 2/HD will aim for. That's why there is such a massive push. It's cheaper than taking on the Next Nintendo console head on.

It's not "me too" rather than "Me next". The tech has real world problems and needs time to find the right use for it's abilites. Unless they can get a decent install base then that won't happen.

I don't where the fuck all you people are living but I live in a shitty tiny flat and going by all the reports I will have plenty of room to play Kinect games. You must all be like my sister who has a bizarre need to fill every single room in her house with as much furniture as possible, usually right in the middle of room, so you have to run a slalom course whenever you want to walk anywhere.

Of course I probably can't have one for a different reason. I live in a shitty tiny flat on the first floor and the Polish fella downstairs would probably not appreciate a fat cunt like me jumping about like a twat all the time trying to run pretend hurdles.

Anyway Giant Bomb posted that when they get their pre-ordered units in today they will be running a marathon live stream so we'll all know what it's like in a few hours.

Most of us love games and are excited by the medium. Just look at the threads about the good stuff. Even half broken games like Fallout New Vegas and Formula 1 2010 get lots of love, not to mention the love oozing from the Vanquish thread.

Kinect seems to be a pile of utter wank though and deserves all the stick it gets.

I don't where the fuck all you people are living but I live in a shitty tiny flat and going by all the reports I will have plenty of room to play Kinect games. You must all be like my sister who has a bizarre need to fill every single room in her house with as much furniture as possible, usually right in the middle of room, so you have to run a slalom course whenever you want to walk anywhere.

Really?

apartment2.jpg

Apartment 2, Not Kinect compatible.

house.jpg

House, Not Kinect compatible.

P1130229.jpg

Apartment 1, yes! Kinect compatible.

Different houses have differnet layouts. Only my shitty apartment fits the Kinect specs and none of them have a slalom course to move about in. Most people don't live in an Ikea catalogue home.

Really?

apartment2.jpg

Apartment 2, Not Kinect compatible.

house.jpg

House, Not Kinect compatible.

Neither of those two are Move Compatible either (and I'd argue the same for Wii Motion Plus - sure, you can play Grand Slam Tennis or Wii Sports sitting down: but where's the fun in that?) - at least, not without angling your head somewhat ridiculously or missing the point entirely.

(You could maybe get away with it one player in the House for Sports Champions, but you'd get nowhere with two players).

Now, why is it that we only see the moaning about "space" requirements in this thread again?

There's moaning about space requirements all over the web this afternoon, it's not like rllmuk is on some exclusive jihad, pretty much every review site is making a point of mentioning it, which I don't recall happening with the Wii (it may have with Move I haven't really paid that much attention to that). Just had a quick look at the Kinect thread on SomethingAwful and three people in that thread alone, who went to the launch, have already had to return their's because it plain wouldn't work with the space they had.

Engadget

As you'll be reminded at least once every game, Kinect recommends (and at times requires) that you be six to eight feet away from the sensor while in play, with no coffee table or ottoman in your way. This isn't exactly the easiest setup to obtain, especially in apartments and dormitories. We set up the Kinect in multiple locations, and none of them were quite right -- we moved couches, twisted the TV diagonally, even pushed back the sensor a few inches to maximize as much space as possible. Point is, the six feet isn't just a recommendation, it's pretty much a requirement.

Joystiq

Kinect game manuals suggest that you stand at least 7 feet away from the sensor, or 9 feet if you want a second player to join in. 7 feet for me is in the middle of my aforementioned behemoth of a coffee table. 9 feet is right in front of my couch. I live in a house and have what I'd consider to be a "spacious" living room. I moved the coffee table and all was good. But having to do that was not a tick in the plus column for Kinect.

Now, my story ended happily. I can move and jump around and the sensor doesn't gripe at all. My girlfriend can hop in and play without issue.

But that's not the case for my fellow Joystiq editor Justin McElroy, who has also been testing a retail Kinect unit pre-launch. Given his living room setup, he's barely in the "frame," and two-player is out of the question.

Kinect demands a lot of space.

I have to put this bluntly: If you don't have at least 8 feet of unobstructed space between where you plan to place the sensor and the limit of how far back you can stand, Kinect will just not work right. Placing it on top of your television will give you an extra foot or so, but still, those who live in apartments, plan to use Kinect in a bedroom, or otherwise have "unconventional" living room layouts are, for all intents and purposes, screwed.

Kotaku

Kinect needs a lot of room, more room than any video game control device before it. But where there's a will to move furniture or rotate TVs, there is a way. This is how we made room in two homes.

From Stephen Totilo, deputy editor, based in Brooklyn: Space is tight in my Brooklyn condo. The living room is long and narrow, with the TV and game consoles just far enough from my couch to allow me to play a game, seated, using a controller wired to a game console under my TV.

I was able to play some Kinect games, like the single-player in racing game Kinect Joy Ride or everything in the fun Kinectimals, standing in front of my couch. That set-up, which required no moving of furniture had me standing under seven feet from the Kinect. At this range, though, I was barely at an acceptable distance for Kinect Sports, which spat back a sort of shrugged-shoulders message saying I might enjoy the game more if I was further away. Sorry, Kinect Sports, not if I have to stand on my couch!

That range didn't leave me enough room to play two-person, same-room games on Kinect nor to try more heart-racing experiences like the workout game Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. For that, initially with reluctance, I had to swivel my TV and move my Kinect. I needed at least eight feet to be in Your Shape's sweet spot.

Why would he have to sit down? He could play any Wii game in that room standing up.

Not two player, and due to the height the TV is at, not without some discomfort (it's too low down for someone standing up).

Similarly playing the drums on Rock Band etc.

Neither of those two are Move Compatible either (and I'd argue the same for Wii Motion Plus - sure, you can play Grand Slam Tennis or Wii Sports sitting down: but where's the fun in that?) - at least, not without angling your head somewhat ridiculously or missing the point entirely.

(You could maybe get away with it one player in the House for Sports Champions, but you'd get nowhere with two players).

Now, why is it that we only see the moaning about "space" requirements in this thread again?

The Wii and Move are not the topic for this thread. I can play Wii fine anywhere, can't comment on Move as I don't have one.

The Wii and Move are not the topic for this thread. I can play Wii fine anywhere, can't comment on Move as I don't have one.

The Move only needs to fit your upper body in the camera frame, all those living rooms would work absolutely fine with it.

Not two player, and due to the height the TV is at, not without some discomfort (it's too low down for someone standing up).

Similarly playing the drums on Rock Band etc.

The TV in my bedroom is that low and I can play Wii games and Rock Band drums just fine. I can't say I've played any two player Wii games but there's no reason to believe they wouldn't work, there's enough room for more than one person to stand and swing their arms around.

The Move only needs to fit your upper body in the camera frame, all those living rooms would work absolutely fine with it.

I refer you to the Playstation Move thread, where we discuss the problems of playing Move with people of different ages.