Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Ok so this is news to me and somewhat frustrating:

1. You 'have' to plug the Kinect into the back of your 360
  2. You have to unplug your WiFi adapter to do this and use an extender to plug it into one of the front ports on your 360
  3. You now only have 1 free USB port so no mates coming round with their profiles to play with you :(

Obviously this is only for the original 360 and not the new slime (still not like it is only 20 million units or whatever).

My question is WHY can you not use a usb passthrough/hub on the back slot of your 360? The Kinect USB cable could have had a passthrough port for the WiFi adapter and boom job done. It is going to look really FUGLY having a long cable from the back of your 360 to the front for the WiFi adapter.

Its been a while since i looked on the back of the older models and dont have one now just the new one but is there only one usb on the back?. Are you sure a hub wont work.

You've got to look at people's motivations for playing a game though and in the case of dancing games, accuracy isn't one of them because it doesn't detract from the experience.

Well there playing it for a reason or they might aswell just put mtv on and dance infront of that. Dance central learns you how to do the moves tracks you very well and scores you its light years ahead of just dance wiggle mote tracking.

You've got to look at people's motivations for playing a game though and in the case of dancing games, accuracy isn't one of them because it doesn't detract from the experience.

Not sure that's totally true, I'm sure avid DDR fans would be extremely frustrated by a pad misreading their footsteps, for example. But for the Just Dance market, absolutely.

DDR is a different beast altogether though, if you watch most casual players it just looks like glorified hopscotch most of the time.

I'm not saying they don't want any tracking of the movements either, just that the added accuracy in Dance Central is going to be of no added benefit for the majority of people who will be playing this game and as such it needs to differentiate itself in a different way which it doesn't seem to have done.

Well there playing it for a reason or they might aswell just put mtv on and dance infront of that. Dance central learns you how to do the moves tracks you very well and scores you its light years ahead of just dance wiggle mote tracking.

No flames man, but it's the second time you made this mistake and I can't help myself - it doesn't "learn" you, it "teaches" you.

;)

So you're saying you can't learn how to dance by following the avatar on JD, but you can learn how to dance by following an avatar on Dance Central?

By the way I learnt some killer dance moves by copying the characters in Jet Set Radio Future. It learn me good!

I have to say being a massive DDR fan at the time, but not really enjoying Just Dance personally I'm definitely looking forward to Dance Central and was the one reason I pre-ordered a Kinect (later cancelled because of the feedback in this thread).

How does the freestyle mode work? I'd always assumed it was like freestyle in Singstar that has no effect on the actual game.

Freestyle occurs midway through each track, it basically lets you pull off any moves you want, and your sillhouette is shown on screen with a background of colours, so basically you try and pull off any funny or stupid moves here, then straight after Kinect plays back some sped up actual video footage of you pulling said moves, making you look even more ridiculous! its a nice and very funny touch :)

Ok so this is news to me and somewhat frustrating:

1. You 'have' to plug the Kinect into the back of your 360
  2. You have to unplug your WiFi adapter to do this and use an extender to plug it into one of the front ports on your 360
  3. You now only have 1 free USB port so no mates coming round with their profiles to play with you :(

Obviously this is only for the original 360 and not the new slime (still not like it is only 20 million units or whatever).

My question is WHY can you not use a usb passthrough/hub on the back slot of your 360? The Kinect USB cable could have had a passthrough port for the WiFi adapter and boom job done. It is going to look really FUGLY having a long cable from the back of your 360 to the front for the WiFi adapter.

You have 2 memory card slots for other people's profile no?

You have 2 memory card slots for other people's profile no?

Yeah if people are using the old school memory cards and lets be honest how many of those were sold and how many people are instead using USB sticks now?

Yeah if people are using the old school memory cards and lets be honest how many of those were sold and how many people are instead using USB sticks now?

No one with a redesigned 360 as they removed the ports. I don't think they make the cards themselves any more, either.

Arguably I think with Dance Central they have the idea of implementation right - the score is rewarded and tracked a bit after the move is performed (so the game logic is working behind the actual audio and visual display) and there's no visual representation of you and your movements on screen.

No one else for launch seems to have really cottoned on to designing and implementing games that operate in a similar way to compensate for the lag.

Well...saved me the bother of cancelling it I suppose

Dear XXXX

We are emailing you about your recent order for the Xbox Kinect Sensor (PZ557).

Our website experienced some technical issues. As a result' date=' this item was incorrectly priced at £99.00. The correct price for this item is £129.00.

As a result of this error, we have cancelled your order for the item in accordance with clause 3.2 of our website terms and conditions.

If you would like to reorder the product at the correct price, £129.00, please go online at www.very.co.uk or call us on 0844 822 2321, quoting catalogue number PZ557.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment this error may have caused you[/quote']

GAME are really pushing this hard and its getting annoying now, every time I go into a store I get harassed by several of their employees asking me if Ive heard of Kinect or if I have pre-ordered yet as thats the best way to get hold of one.

Anyway seems they are changing their tactics a bit now. Went in yesterday and bought Fallout 3 (someone had priced the GotY edition as the same price as the standard one :eyebrows: ). I was asked if I wanted to pre order New Vegas, I said no not until I finish this one. Then was asked if I had pre ordered Call of Duty, again said no and told him I had no interest in CoD and I had Reach. He moves on to Kinect, asked if I had seen it and I said yes and told him that it looks rubbish. Apparently all the GAME staff just happened to have had a big meeting the night before with them being able to play with the final version of Kinect. He told me he wasnt impressed when he first saw it either but after playing it he was amazed it work, said it was "nothing like the PS2 eyetoy" and that it "actually worked" and the controls were amazing. I told him about all of the videos I have seen on the net with huge amounts of lag and people I know who played on Kinect at the recent games expo in london who also said about the lag. His reply was simply "well there was no lag when we played on it last night". At this point his workmate came on by with a huge fake smile on his face and asked if we were talking about Kinect, then said it was awesome and that he was definitely getting one. The guy serving me asked if I was interested in pre ordering and I just laughed and told him no way am I interested in it at £129 :lol: The guy had nothing else to say, looked pissed off gave me my game and receipt and just turned and started talking to his workmate without even a thank you <_<

Game are getting way too pushy with this, it almost seems like desperation. Everyone coming into the store they are trying to get to pre order this thing. It will be interesting to see how well their tactics worked when this is released. Im expecting it to do quite well at the beginning simply because of the money MS are throwing at the marketing for it, but long term Im expecting it to be a huge flop.

I think Kinect could become a surprise success.

They need to market Dance Central heavily at 9-14 year old girls, and bundle the 360, Kinect and Dance Central together as a single package. Dance Central is pretty much the only game that works with the Kinect tech, but to me it looks like the perfect killer app, one that could sell a lot of systems to an audience that wouldn't otherwise buy a 360. The only problem is that the total £250 cost is a bit high for a target market that mostly won't own a 360 already.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me too much if it became a surprise Christmas best-seller. If not now and Dance Central, I can see a similar game based on the exact same technology becoming a blockbuster hit in the future. It's facing a bit of an uphill struggle thanks to pricing and Xbox's branding; if it was the exact same tech for the same price of the Wii, I'd regard it as a foregone conclusion that Dance Central would sell zillions of copies.

The PlayStation got a new lease of life in the UK at the tail end of its existence with the DDR craze, but the price was way lower than what it would cost to buy a complete KinectBox. If Dance Central is that compelling a piece of software, maybe price isn't going to be a problem in shifting units.

I still think that it will do surprisingly well, it will no doubt be a hell of a flop to everyone on here and I've got no intention of buying it but I do think that it will do well with the casuals or random people out there. On paper it's still quite impressive with the whole 'it's like Minority Report ZOMG!!1one!' side of things (even if practically it's a bit awkward to use).

I'm not putting the left bollock on it but I have a feeling it will outsell Move this Xmas.

Even though that might just be because MS throw more money at the marketing than Sony do....

Serious question. I don't know anything about Just Dance 2 and wondered how it could be better than Dance Central if it only tracks the arm movements

I haven't played either but I have played Just Dance 1 and didn't really like it. On the other hand I'm really looking forward to Dance Central. However I'm not prepared to call someone who has played both and prefers Just Dance 2 an anti-Xbox fanboy because Just Dance 2 might be more enjoyable for that person. They are different games after all not solely defined by their input methods.