Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Using the balance board/wii fit is frustrating in so many ways, like having to step off/on the board on certain screens so it can calibrate, or putting the remote down out of the way so you can begin exercises before it asks you to 'Press A to start' (I always fall for this one). Can't wait to try Kinect, if they can get rid of all that hassle and let you just enjoy doing some exercise or whatever that'd probably be enough to win me over. It can do more than track "very basic human shape", how much more is kind of hard to tell right now.

I assume you've played a fitness game on Kinect? If not, do you have links to really unfavourable impressions?

If not again, then just where are you getting your absolute certainty that 'it's going to be shit and I'd rather be sick on my floor and lick it up than play that' from? Videos have hardly shown anything yet, and those that do show stuff are just the launch games, we can hardly expect the potential of the new hardware to be explored fully from the beginning.

They should have called it the Microsoft Potential as since it's unveiling that's been the thing anybody is interested in.

Nobody can think of an actual use for it but by god it's got potential!

Yeah, it's a bit like children in a playground fighting whether piss tastes better than shit.

in England we played conkers.

No, the kinect software is guessing what you're doing as all it has to go on is your body position whereas the wii KNOWS what you're doing because it has four sensors measuring actual force applied.

From what I've seen and heard of this dance central thingumy it's 1:1 mapping - there's no way to "cheat" it - it knows exactly what you're doing.

so what makes kinect better? If they're both guessing. Please give an example.

I never said it was better, I was simply correcting your faulty logic.

However, since you asked, I imagine it would be better for high-activity fitness, something where the movement of your whole body is required, or, as seen in Dance Central, tracking dance moves. Subtlety is something it doesn't do so well.

I never said it was better, I was simply correcting your faulty logic.

However, since you asked, I imagine it would be better for high-activity fitness, something where the movement of your whole body is required, or, as seen in Dance Central, tracking dance moves. Subtlty is something it doesn't do so well.

oh right then we agree. Yeah it's better for dancing games. I was sort of thinking of wiifit type exercises as they're the ones women want to do.

Subtle ones. Like yoga . Where it's all about balance.

Have to agree with Ramone that for fitness titles the Wii is much better at doing it. For me the most important thing is getting feedback about your progress and checking and keeping track of your weight (which is the whole point of these types of software). Yes you could just use some bathroom scales and a pen & paper but this was one of the big things about Wii fit, it is dead simple to use and it automatically gives you feedback of your progress with charts, advice and allowing you to set and adjust goals. THIS is what WiiFit is about, not the yoga or the mini games. Kinect cannot do this, plain and simple so for this type of game Kinect will just be a fancy exorcise video without means of giving you any real feedback about your weight which is kind of the point.

no, the balance board is an input, a very sensitive and accurate input. The input for kinect is a camera which can detect a very basic human shape.

I run further than you. I am aware you don't need any equipment, it also costs no money. I would not pay £200 so somebody could watch me run and give me feedback. Do you see?? Kinect is not so different from a fitness video.

Wrong. A fitness video will not provide feedback on progress

Have to agree with Ramone that for fitness titles the Wii is much better at doing it. For me the most important thing is getting feedback about your progress and checking and keeping track of your weight (which is the whole point of these types of software). Yes you could just use some bathroom scales and a pen & paper but this was one of the big things about Wii fit, it is dead simple to use and it automatically gives you feedback of your progress with charts, advice and allowing you to set and adjust goals. THIS is what WiiFit is about, not the yoga or the mini games. Kinect cannot do this, plain and simple so for this type of game Kinect will just be a fancy exorcise video without means of giving you any real feedback about your weight which is kind of the point.

Not everybody exercises with the intention of losing weight so when you say fitness its not just about losing weight. I sure Kinect will have a way of tracking progress whether it be the improvment of form/technique or the increase in the number of reps you do as your cardio level improves.

I'd say 99% of people who exercise in front of the tv do so to lose weight. And kinect, which can just about track a basic skeleton in the right conditions will spot improvements to your form!! Apart from that I agree with everything you say.

Where did you pluck 99% from and my point still stands. Not everyone uses exercise to lose weight. I know initial reports/videos suggest that its tracking is laggy or shit but I'm giving it the benfit of the doubt until a few poeple off here have the finished hardware and sofware in their homes.

I watched a Kinect setup video on the marketplace the other day and it gave me 'little' confidence that it setup wizard it takes you through to optimise its performance may do some way to improve its tracking. Also Sega Kid's positive experience helped.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tteamhD3VmU&feature=player_embedded

People with small spaces and those that are messy are going to be fucked though

So I've paid hardly any attention to the Kinect but how does this differ in concept to Sony's Eyetoy?

It uses two cameras, one of which is infra-red (I think). This allows it to, in theory, use stereoscopy to work out the distance of objects from the camera. The original plan was through doing this, it would be able to recognise your skeleton and you could control games without using a pad or physical object. In essence, you're right - it's like the Eyetoy, though it was supposed to be a lot more advanced.

I still haven't used one and am reserving judgement; though I must say I'm not optimistic.

I've just cancelled my pre-order. The space requirements coupled with all the other uncertainties about responsiveness, lag etc don't make me feel comfortable about paying the launch price. I'm still keen to see how it works when it's in the hands of enough people, and maybe I'll give it a try once I know what it can and can't do, but it just feels like an expensive risk at present. A bit of a shame really, because I liked the lineup of announced Kinect games more than the equivalent lists for the competition...for now it'll have to wait. :(

Well I finally saw them in operation at the Eurogamer Expo yesterday (and the PS Move also).

It pretty much confirmed my negative expectations of the thing. Clearly laggy a lot of the time, simplistic games of the type that have been seen to death on the Wii or the EyeToy already, and the overall experience looked as bland as a Ron Howard movie. You'll buy it, play it all of once for a couple of hours and then hock it on eBay.

Move was much the same.

Waggle is so totally over.