Microsoft Kinect

Asura

So Kinect can't 'do' Wii Fit because it uses totally different technology? No shit! What a ludicrous argument.

listen you're making me very angry by coming across as willfully dense. This isn't a threat but I've been using wiifit+ since launch.

Wiifit and kinect are different. That's not the argument. The fight began when some muppet stated that kinect would bs better, not different but better. Now listen to me. I think without the balance board ( you people do know that balance boards exist outside of wiifit, right?) Kinect is missing a whole load. It may be able to do something but to suggest it's better for fitness games than wiifit is like sugggest it's better to shit out of your cock.

Also who the fuck is going to buy it? What will happen is that a bunch of 360 owning pusbags will buy it for their other quarters at Christmas and be all "now we can both play on the 360"

mars you better watch how you talk to me.

You look silly now don't you? You had to switch your arguements there you trolling fool you.

The balance board is just as limited as there is only one piece of software (two if you count wii fit plus). I mean, dance games are going to have no equal on Wii or the PS3's move without full body tracking. Besides Wii Fit what else can you use the board for? The facts are is that Kinetics can do thing things the balance board cannot and vice-versa.

There's loads (a couple) of shit games on the wii.........

that use the balance board.

Shit Monkey Ball

Shit Shaun Gingerbread Snowboarding

and some other shit.

I can't work out why ramone is having such a go at kinect because it doesn't have the balance board. I have wii fit plus at home and yes, for that game, the balance board is brilliant. Mind you I haven't used wii fit plus since last March, neither has my wife (who's game it technically is), neither have my two daughters nor any of the household pets. It is however a good game and come this Christmas we'll probably all have another few sessions of play on it.

Equally I can't work out any reason to want kinect. I don't have a 360 mind but even if I did I wouldn't buy kinect largely because I only have a token interest in sports, party and wallying about games and that token interest is completely satisfied by my wii. Thats what I still struggle to understand - I still expect kinect to be a massive emperors new clothes exercise and at some point the potential market will drum up the courage to say that microsoft are wandering about with their bollocks hanging out

I can't work out why ramone is having such a go at kinect because it doesn't have the balance board. I have wii fit plus at home and yes, for that game, the balance board is brilliant. Mind you I haven't used wii fit plus since last March, neither has my wife (who's game it technically is), neither have my two daughters nor any of the household pets. It is however a good game and come this Christmas we'll probably all have another few sessions of play on it.

Equally I can't work out any reason to want kinect. I don't have a 360 mind but even if I did I wouldn't buy kinect largely because I only have a token interest in sports, party and wallying about games and that token interest is completely satisfied by my wii. Thats what I still struggle to understand - I still expect kinect to be a massive emperors new clothes exercise and at some point the potential market will drum up the courage to say that microsoft are wandering about with their bollocks hanging out

I am not having a go at kinect. It's not kinect's fault that it's rubbish. I am having a go at the people declaring it the best thing ever for fitness games. Because under optimal conditions it can just about track your skeleton. By skeleton I mean your limbs. The massive bones. Of course it can't track your skeleton.

footle, did you choose that name because you have a foot fir a brain?

Get on you boots bathroom scales and see if it can tell Iif you're on your heels or toes. you might have to stand on your head for that.

Did you choose ram-on because you ramble on talking drivel?

Here's some reading on the concept of balance boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_board

A balance board wasn't invented because Kinect didn't exist. Do you understand? A balance board is a geniune peice of atheltic equipment. You see with WiiFit you can actually do balancing exercises. With Kinect you can, what? Do you guys understand yet? A balance board is a genuine fitness tool and WiiFit uses it. Kinect uses the floor. Do you see why one is better? You could do everything you can do on KinectFit without a Kinect. Do you see? "Stand like this"

You can't do most of WiiFit without a balance board. This is why WiiFit is a better fitness product.

A balance board is a genuine fitness tool and WiiFit uses it. Kinect uses the floor.

No, Kinect uses the camera.

You could do everything you can do on KinectFit without a Kinect. Do you see? "Stand like this"

Except you wouldn't get the feedback from the game telling you how well you're doing it.

You can't do most of WiiFit without a balance board.

Nope, same argument applies. You could do everything you can do on WiiFit without the WiiFit board, but, again, you wouldn't get any feedback from the game.

Nothing to do with kinect but I have to dispute ramone saying that the balance board in wii fit plus is a "genuine piece of athletic equipment". I guess that means that all the fatties, grannies, kids and beer gutted 24/7 gamers using it must be athletes then?

I do a lot of 'real' running and I mean a lot - 35 to 50 miles a week all in the hills - and I somehow manage to do that without any "athletic equipment"... apart from my legs that is. Like others have said the balance board gives you feedback but its not actually doing anything to make you more or less athletic. Similarly kinect tracking body movement will give you feedback. Its a mute argument - they both give you feedback.

A balance board wasn't invented because Kinect didn't exist.

What has this drivel got to do with anything?

The wii-fit balance board is four pressure sensors of the type you find in bathroom scales. Any interesting use of the board relies on the software that interprets the data from those sensors.

Crucially, the implementation of the balance board has nothing what-so-ever to do with the wiki-page you linked to, since a stationary board does *not* force your muscles to react dynamically.

Similarly, any interesting use of Kinect relies on the hardware and the software that interprets what the hardware is doing.

You can't do most of WiiFit without a balance board. This is why WiiFit is a better fitness product.

A doesn't imply B. Didn't they teach elementary logic and argument construction when you were at school?

You have to either stand on a piece of plastic or just stand.

This is why people believe it's "better", and raging at them because that's their opinion is idiotic.

Nothing to do with kinect but I have to dispute ramone saying that the balance board in wii fit plus is a "genuine piece of athletic equipment". I guess that means that all the fatties, grannies, kids and beer gutted 24/7 gamers using it must be athletes then?

I do a lot of 'real' running and I mean a lot - 35 to 50 miles a week all in the hills - and I somehow manage to do that without any "athletic equipment"... apart from my legs that is. Like others have said the balance board gives you feedback but its not actually doing anything to make you more or less athletic. Similarly kinect tracking body movement will give you feedback. Its a mute argument - they both give you feedback.

no, the balance board is an input, a very sensitive and accurate input. The input for kinect is a camera which can detect a very basic human shape.

I run further than you. I am aware you don't need any equipment, it also costs no money. I would not pay £200 so somebody could watch me run and give me feedback. Do you see?? Kinect is not so different from a fitness video.

What has this drivel got to do with anything?

The wii-fit balance board is four pressure sensors of the type you find in bathroom scales. Any interesting use of the board relies on the software that interprets the data from those sensors.

Crucially, the implementation of the balance board has nothing what-so-ever to do with the wiki-page you linked to, since a stationary board does *not* force your muscles to react dynamically.

Similarly, any interesting use of Kinect relies on the hardware and the software that interprets what the hardware is doing.

No, the kinect software is guessing what you're doing as all it has to go on is your body position whereas the wii KNOWS what you're doing because it has four sensors measuring actual force applied.