Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Nice to see the mainstream press being so scathing about it.

That tech section of the Metro is what Channel 4's old Gamecentral teletext pages evolved into, formally Digitiser on Channel 4.

So it is mainstream but the guys have been around for a while and know what they are talking about.

You've not read about Ubisoft's proprietary system for recognising 1:1 movement then? Kinect may not be able to do it as standard, but it can be done.

I am familiar with it.

The point is WiiFit did so well because of the balance board. Think of all the excellent balance games. Kinect can't do them. The Yoga exercises, alls it will be able to tell if you're in roughtly the right position. The Wii can tell you if you're balanced correctly and assumes you're in the correct position. I mean, why would you lie to it. If it tells you to stand in a pose , shows you the pose you're going to do the pose. People don't play WiiFit and go "Ha, I'm not going to do the pose properly because there's no camera"

As we''ve all said the on;y possible thing the Kinect is good for is Muscle March/Hole in the wall. A game where you have to adopt a pose. For everything else it is super-shit to the max. I reckon they'll shit-can before it comes out.

And it could never track individual fingers. Some guy said it was possible without ever demonstrating it.

Stop switching your arguments. Their system can perform in a way that standard Kinect tools can't. It recognises your exact position and puts it on screen, not (as you said) just tell your general pose and give you a pre-rendered 'reward' if you get it right. Which, for example, elevates it above the tech used in previous fitness games. Show me' an exercise in a gym, or fitness game, that uses just individual finger movements. But your earlier point re: fitness games is simply wrong, trust me.

I am familiar with it.

The point is WiiFit did so well because of the balance board. Think of all the excellent balance games. Kinect can't do them. The Yoga exercises, alls it will be able to tell if you're in roughtly the right position. The Wii can tell you if you're balanced correctly and assumes you're in the correct position. I mean, why would you lie to it. If it tells you to stand in a pose , shows you the pose you're going to do the pose. People don't play WiiFit and go "Ha, I'm not going to do the pose properly because there's no camera"

As we''ve all said the on;y possible thing the Kinect is good for is Muscle March/Hole in the wall. A game where you have to adopt a pose. For everything else it is super-shit to the max. I reckon they'll shit-can before it comes out.

Again, wrong. It can tell your pose, down to a skeletal level, in real time movements and display it.

Stop switching your arguments. Their system can perform in a way that standard Kinect tools can't. It recognises your exact position and puts it on screen, not (as you said) just tell your general pose and give you a pre-rendered 'reward' if you get it right. Which, for example, elevates it above the tech used in previous fitness games. Show me' an exercise in a gym, or fitness game, that uses just individual finger movements. But your earlier point re: fitness games is simply wrong, trust me.

Hi there.

Take the lunge for example. It's perfectly possible to do it completely wrong and yet have your body in the correct position. You need a trainer or a balance board to check where your weight is distributed. I can't make this any simpler for you. If you still don't understand then I suggest you buy a kinect, I reckon the games on it will be right at your level!

Kinect or any game for it won't be able to track individual fingers and the body. I bet my son's cock on it.

Exactly - now you're using examples better suited to that technology, rather than older/other games which was my main gripe with your points.

Just out of interest, on what basis do you think I'm arguing on? Reading Edge? PR releases? Because I'll be quoting a lot of the derisive comments in this thread when they're proved to be utterly wrong.

Exactly - now you're using examples better suited to that technology, rather than older/other games which was my main gripe with your points.

Just out of interest, on what basis do you think I'm arguing on? Reading Edge? PR releases? Because I'll be quoting a lot of the derisive comments in this thread when they're proved to be utterly wrong.

I think you've come to your opinion of Kinect being excellent at fitness games throught not really thinking very hard. Because if you don't think about it too deeply it does seem that Kinect would be good at fitness games. But then you do what I do, think a bit harder and you realize that kinect is actually very limited.

IIt's like when it was first announced everybody was "Oh Kinect will be great for throw the thing at the thing games" but then when you think about it it's not as there's no way of letting go of anything. That's why you have spastic games where you have to block things with your whole body. Even that doesn't work very well. The whole thing is an abortion.

It could do Muscle March though.

Hi there.

Take the lunge for example. It's perfectly possible to do it completely wrong and yet have your body in the correct position. You need a trainer or a balance board to check where your weight is distributed. I can't make this any simpler for you. If you still don't understand then I suggest you buy a kinect, I reckon the games on it will be right at your level!

Kinect or any game for it won't be able to track individual fingers and the body. I bet my son's cock on it.

Right, so you need a trainer? Well then, you mo-cap a trainer doing the exercise and use the tech to compare the player's movement against it, in real time. If done in the right way, by a developer who knows the system very well indeed then you can't cheat the game, or get rewarded for doing the exercise incorrectly.

Right, so you need a trainer? Well then, you mo-cap a trainer doing the exercise and use the tech to compare the player's movement against it, in real time. If done in the right way, by a developer who knows the system very well indeed then you can't cheat the game, or get rewarded for doing the exercise incorrectly.

Are you mental. I said you either need a real trainer there with you to see you're using the correct muscles or failing that a balance board which will give you an indication by measuring force applied to the balance board. A camera seeing if you're making the right shape with your body is, what? What is that?

It'd be great in conjunction with a balance board but if you had to have one or the other the balance board is the thing that actually measures something. Perhaps you shoud go back to Mars!

I think you've come to your opinion of Kinect being excellent at fitness games throught not really thinking very hard. Because if you don't think about it too deeply it does seem that Kinect would be good at fitness games. But then you do what I do, think a bit harder and you realize that kinect is actually very limited.

Haha, oh dear. Added to the list of wrongness to be raised at a later date. You're the one making assumptions. If you think that I'm arguing based on what I think Kinect can do, you're incorrect.

Are you mental. I said you either need a real trainer there with you to see you're using the correct muscles or failing that a balance board which will give you an indication by measuring force applied to the balance board. A camera seeing if you're making the right shape with your body is, what? What is that?

It'd be great in conjunction with a balance board but if you had to have one or the other the balance board is the thing that actually measures something. Perhaps you shoud go back to Mars!

So you think a trainer's movement along with a system that knows how well you're doing what they tell you to (and showing you) wouldn't work? That tech recognising skeletal positioning, with the right physiological knowledge coded in can't tell what muscles are being activated? See you on Mars :D

So you think a trainer's movement along with a system that knows how well you're doing what they tell you to (and showing you) wouldn't work? That tech recognising skeletal positioning, with the right physiological knowledge coded in can't tell what muscles are being activated? See you on Mars :D

Are you flying to Mars in your kinect, can it do that as well?

I suggest you go and purchase a Wii, a balance board and a copy of WiiFit+. Use it for a while and make a note of all the things it can do which kinect can't. You'll end up with a very long list. And this is why Kinect doesn't shine as a fitness machine, because it's shit.

My favourite WiiFit plus game is the one with the chicken, can't do that with Kinect. Snowball fight, forget about it. I like the ge the ball through the course one. it can't do that. Kinect? K©an'tect more like.

Put in a few hours last week on Kinect, tried out kinectadventures, sports, joyride, sonic riders, your fitness and realmotion sports. Have to say I'm very impressed, the only small signs of lag I could see were in sonic riders and realmotion sports, though I was told these would be ironed out for release. The first party titles worked perfectly, it really is a clever piece of kit. Dance central and kinect sports stood out as the 2 best titles for me, purely down to how fun they are to play. Having only been intrigued on Kinect before, I'm now sold!

can it do situps when it can just see your knees? Now get

outta my face because I'm getting angry now.

You look silly now don't you? You had to switch your arguements there you trolling fool you.

I am familiar with it.

The balance board is just as limited as there is only one piece of software (two if you count wii fit plus). I mean, dance games are going to have no equal on Wii or the PS3's move without full body tracking. Besides Wii Fit what else can you use the board for? The facts are is that Kinetics can do thing things the balance board cannot and vice-versa.

Leave it, he's a berk. Trolling on the basis of no experience whatsoever of the expertise he's critiquing. I throw my hat into the ring (and I am cursing that NDA right now) by saying that, as far as fitness gaming goes, Kinect has it nailed, albeit not through a first party game. As I said, he switches his argument between full-body recognition and the tip of a finger being represented on screen depending on how the wind blows. Notice that I've not backed down when he's challenged Kinect in terms of being a credible fitness platform. Ramone, you are going to be pulled up as an utter tit, Ramowned, if you will. The response to this post is inevitable, but keep digging. See you at the end of the year, dude.

It probably is better for fitness games, but I doubt anyone is going to care in the same way that I don't think people are going to care about Dance Central tracking you better than Just Dance.

Thats all I'm saying. Whether anyone cares or not is another arguement which will be concluded by year end.

No, I'd say the balance aspect is far more important. Otherwise it's DO THIS POSE. Why would you need a videogame machine for that? You could use a book.

If all you needed to do yoga was a pair of electronic weighing scales, then all you'd need to buy was a pair of electronic weighing scales and a mat.

Since you're under the impression that Nintendo's measurements in weight distribution are sufficient* to check something that's effectively all about position, we should probably just leave you to your delusion.

* Not to take anything away from Nintendo - games are about Smoke and Mirrors, and people seem to think the Balance board with "all the excellent balance games (don't jump!)" is doing a hell of a lot more than it is.

If all you needed to do yoga was a pair of electronic weighing scales, then all you'd need to buy was a pair of electronic weighing scales and a mat.

Since you're under the impression that Nintendo's measurements in weight distribution are sufficient* to check something that's effectively all about position, we should probably just leave you to your delusion.

* Not to take anything away from Nintendo - games are about Smoke and Mirrors, and people seem to think the Balance board with "all the excellent balance games (don't jump!)" is doing a hell of a lot more than it is.

yeah the balance board is just a set of weighing scales.

You plank.

The balance board is just as limited as there is only one piece of software (two if you count wii fit plus). I mean, dance games are going to have no equal on Wii or the PS3's move without full body tracking. Besides Wii Fit what else can you use the board for? The facts are is that Kinetics can do thing things the balance board cannot and vice-versa.

and who said anything different?

Leave it, he's a berk. Trolling on the basis of no experience whatsoever of the expertise he's critiquing. I throw my hat into the ring (and I am cursing that NDA right now) by saying that, as far as fitness gaming goes, Kinect has it nailed, albeit not through a first party game. As I said, he switches his argument between full-body recognition and the tip of a finger being represented on screen depending on how the wind blows. Notice that I've not backed down when he's challenged Kinect in terms of being a credible fitness platform. Ramone, you are going to be pulled up as an utter tit, Ramowned, if you will. The response to this post is inevitable, but keep digging. See you at the end of the year, dude.

kinect can't track fingers.

Kinect can't weigh you.

Kinect can't do all the fun balance games fundamental to the wiifit experience.

Kinect can see if you're standing sort of right. But get a mirror and a picture of the pose instead, much cheaper.

I'm going to meet you in person at the end of the year and then we'll see.

I didn't realize there were so

many fitness professionals in this thread.

Put in a few hours last week on Kinect, tried out kinectadventures, sports, joyride, sonic riders, your fitness and realmotion sports. Have to say I'm very impressed, the only small signs of lag I could see were in sonic riders and realmotion sports, though I was told these would be ironed out for release. The first party titles worked perfectly, it really is a clever piece of kit. Dance central and kinect sports stood out as the 2 best titles for me, purely down to how fun they are to play. Having only been intrigued on Kinect before, I'm now sold!

Keep quiet you, no positive remarks about Kinect in here please ;)

Seriously though, I am starting to get a bit more interested in this, especially after the things shown at TGS. But that price point and those blatant rip offs of the Wii commercials are really putting me off, plus every time that Kudo opens his mouth it puts me off even more. Im going to wait and see how this will do, I really like the look of Rare's Wii Sports and Dance Central out of the launch games plus being able to do video chat with MSN users is also a big plus but Im going to wait for that price to go down as MS have already pretty much said that its high only for the early adopters who will pay it.

Yeah, Kinect is just a depth camera - but hey, you're obviously a professional troller.

you must be a professional idiot. Kinect is a thing that, under optimal conditions, can track a basic human skeleton. Sometimes. With a bit of lag.

You said the balance board was just a set of digital weighing scales.

Hey, anybody else notice something about the people hyped for kinect? That's right, they seem to have just returned from a fishing trip with jack nicholson. Hey, you'll love kinect, I am personally hoping they release the game "try and hail the spazzy bus" I hear kinect can track tongues so I'll get big points licking the windows.

kinect can't track fingers.

Kinect can't weigh you.

Kinect can't do all the fun balance games fundamental to the wiifit experience.

Kinect can see if you're standing sort of right. But get a mirror and a picture of the pose instead, much cheaper.

So Kinect can't 'do' Wii Fit because it uses totally different technology? No shit! What a ludicrous argument.

I'm going to meet you in person at the end of the year and then we'll see.

I didn't realize there were so

many fitness professionals in this thread.

Turns out that there are a few!