Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Oh dear :(

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Please tell me that the sequel to Rez I've been waiting for the last 9 years doesn't end up in a laggy, broken mess. Please please please :(

My word. Even my faith that they wouldn't release such a disheartening product has now been shaken. Right from the beginning I've not been "sold" on the idea, despite some of the more impressive tech demos, but I tend to take solace in that Microsoft are a big company, and consequently they're unlikely to release something genuinely poor.

The lag on that is positively gigantic. It simply does not appear to work properly. It might just be a video, as opposed to me having the real thing in front of me, but with MS marketing this thing, if these videos aren't for us to look at and try to judge how well it works, well... Then what else are they for?

I never judge anything completely gaming-wise before I try it in person, and that's a rule I'm going to stick to even on this. What I will say though is Kinect would have to absolutely blow me away in person to overcome the skepticism videos like that one seem to engender.

Direct your hate to the ether, cochise.

I'll shill for Draco as long as pad support is included in the deal ala Eden. Besides, I'm curious to see how it's implemented with Kinect.

Dont think there will be pad support, they have said that its being built from the ground up for Kinect and using its features to offer a better connection to the dragon, or so they say. Hope they do add pad support but its unlikely at the moment judging from their comments.

You know how Japanese developers tend to get near to completion on a game only for the director to come in at the last minute and make them start from scratch using what they learnt from the first one. And how Western developers to not do this and think its mad.

Well I wonder if the behaviour works at a hardware level as well. Because so far we've had rushed to market xbox with a useless hard-drive and a pad that needed re-working after 6 months, we've had the 360 rushed to market with a fail rate that would have sunk most companies, and now a laggy kinect with no real purpose and a non-impulse price tag. Microsoft really are lucky that developers know their way around PCs because you can imagine they'd be pretty fucked without the amazing third party support. The people making the decisions on the hardware and when to bring it to market are just fucking terrible.

You've got to wonder why they're letting people test it if that's the result.

Well they have to let people test it and play with it if they're actually going to release it soon, even if they themselves realise the tech doesn't quite work as intended due to the lag. At Gamescom Kinect had a massive presence, and it made a terrible impression on me and my friends because of the lag, the inaccuracy and the tendency to spaz out. But they have to promote it and simply hope for the best.

Well they have to let people test it and play with it if they're actually going to release it soon, even if they themselves realise the tech doesn't quite work as intended due to the lag. At Gamescom Kinect had a massive presence, and it made a terrible impression on me and my friends because of the lag, the inaccuracy and the tendency to spaz out. But they have to promote it and simply hope for the best.

Yeah sure, but if the game's absolutely borked then they'd surely put a bit more work in or something.

I wonder if these games were all designed for the more capable version of Kinect that they apparently stripped down. If they'd started developing for one thing and then told to adapt it for something else later it would perhaps make sense.

They must all know that what they're putting out there doesn't work and there's got to be a reason that it's got this far along.

I wonder if these games were all designed for the more capable version of Kinect that they apparently stripped down. If they'd started developing for one thing and then told to adapt it for something else later it would perhaps make sense.

The issue is that the hardware was never designed for these games, or in fact any games, in the first place. It was blatantly developed to a set of specifications and then given to the developers to get cracking on.