Crackdown 2 - July 9th 2010

I really, really like this game. I think Crackdown 1 was stronger though in terms of structure and the way that the order you took bosses out affected resistance at other bases. Crackdown 2 still takes the enormous gateaux when it comes to fucking shit up though, so hats off to that.

Agree i hope the third game brings that element back and expands on it a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Been really getting into this recently, awesome fun and this is from someone who couldnt get into Crackdown 1. I hope Ruffian manage to do a number 3 and hopefully with a longer development schedule. I really dont understand why people were so negative with the game. One thing though, those renegade orbs are a fucking nightmare to catch, especially the last few :angry:

Can anyone from Ruffian please explain how the Windows Phone 7 stuff integrates? I've played some deluge but even though I had played Project Sunburst, I didn't unlock the choppers. Nor did my friend who hasn't played Sunburst but received the message saying that playing with me would give him a treat.

Finally got them when there were two Sunburst players in the lobby. So how do we unlock the other stuff? Do we need 4 Sunburst players in the lobby, or just get to a higher level in Sunburst?

There's very little information about any of this stuff out there so some explanation would be great.

Also Deluge is AMAZING. I was not a fan of the game when it came out but everything that's been added post release has unleashed the potential hidden within. Good job guys.

Without a shadow of a doubt, my disappointment of the year. I loved the original so much but this sequel just seemed to suck all of the fun out of the experience. This was due, in my view, to the appalling inclusion of the freaks...

SAD/10

:(

What don't you like about the freaks? They're pretty fun to mow down if you've got the right tools. Getting two squad choppers flying low along the streets unleashing hell is brilliant fun. Likewise when we found out you could squeeze a chopper in to the old expo centre through one of the broken windows. It was a massacre. A brilliant, smile inducing massacre.

Everything about the first game was better and (most importantly) more fun. In the end I got tired of the freaks very quickly who were less fun to fight than the human enemies from the first game, and the ruined city was less fun to explore than the one in Crackdown 1 - partly because it was the same one all over again, partly because all the debris just got in the way and it looked far less appealing visually. Some of the new orbs were a bit annoying, and the new pick-ups that weren't orbs were straight out of the rare school of let's go go go collect gameplay. All in all it felt like a fan-made mod more than anything else, and not because it re-used so many assets, but because it badly misjudged what made the first game fun in the first place and what people liked so much about it that its still remembered as a classic. Crackdown 2 is not a bad game, it's just massively disappointing when compared to the brilliant first game. And because I still love the first game so much, Crackdown 2 is my biggest disappointment of the year - hopefully the third game will go back to what made the first game so much fun and forget the freaks were ever introduced.

Is everyone viewing the original game through some amazing nostalgia glasses when it comes to the freaks? You all remember they were in the first one and much more annoying right? The super strong midget one could catch you in a ground juggle loop that meant you were dead with nothing you could do about it unless your partner intervened.

It must be the rose tinted glasses then if you can't remember them at all. They're pretty bloody prominent in the Shai-Gen area, I think it's after you take out the doctor as they all escape from their cells and over run the city.

In fact if I remember right they escape during the attack on his stronghold. Which is great because it's an interior environment where those super strong midgets can easily sneak up on you and get a cheap kill. There's no freak type in the second that can do the same.

Which is nice.

There's an awful hotel area in Mario Sunshine? Was it one of those god awful void levels?

Anyway, it was just a comment about the complaints that Crackdown 2 introduced freaks when they were in fact all over one district of the original. I agree with everyone that Crackdown is the better game but I'm not sure why. I've got a horrible feeling that it might just be because it was first.

• 3 years later...

I was offered the chance to play a very early alpha last year but I didn't have the time to donate. The core is the multiplayer battles as far as I'm aware. I'm sure one of them will be along at some point to explain better

• 2 years later...

Yes, the rocket thrusters really make the game.  It's not as good as the first, certainly, but it let you play four-player online, and gave you a radar ping to find stuff making it possible to complete the collection tasks.  The freaks are a bit of a rubbish enemy but the cell are great, and listening to the audio logs to hear the back story was well worth it.

There's a difference between being not as good as the first game, and being shit.  It's not the latter by any stretch.