rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kryptonian

Halo: Reach

I'm just wary as 2 and 3 were revealed with "in-engine" trailers, and in both cases the actual games looked noticeably worse. It's not that I'm cynical about Bungie's abilities, per se, I just want to see something representative of what I'll actually get on my screen.

To clarify I'm just interested in seeing what their new tech is like and if there are shifts in the core gameplay, so if what they show is totally non interactive I won't really be much the wiser for having seen it. I'm not going to cancel my hypothetical pre-order, though.

I'm not disagreeing (I just can't remember) - which Halo 2 & 3 trailers were revealed as in-engine but the games looked worse? I can remember the Halo 3 one in the desert and I thought the game wasn't much different, it may have used a rejigged part of scene that later on in the finished game?

Was the Halo 2 one the clip with the Master Chief walking through a ship or something and bump mapping was turned up to 11?

I'm not disagreeing (I just can't remember) - which Halo 2 & 3 trailers were revealed as in-engine but the games looked worse? I can remember the Halo 3 one in the desert and I thought the game wasn't much different, it may have used a rejigged part of scene that later on in the finished game?

I'm referring to the

. I'm afraid this video isn't the best quality so it's not amazing for making comparisons, but you can see
. There's certainly more parity between them than the Halo 2 reveal and its counterpart in the actual game, but it misses out on the sheen of its predecessor and is really jaggy when viewed in the flesh. Not the end of the world, of course, but it's always disappointing for a game to look worse when it actually comes out; it tends to work the other way around.

The first screenshots were also a lot like this. Still looks fantastic, doesn't it? Unfortunately it's a higher resolution than the game runs in and features a load of anti-aliasing, of which the game has none whatsoever. Kind of makes you wish there was a PC version.

So what do we actually know about this, then, other than it being a new Halo title, with regards to the multiplayer? Have they announced any features, such as Chrome Hounds-esque persistence between matches, or COD-esque character levelling?

So what do we actually know about this, then, other than it being a new Halo title, with regards to the multiplayer? Have they announced any features, such as Chrome Hounds-esque persistence between matches, or COD-esque character levelling?

We know nothing what so ever really bah a load of speculation and supposed leaked shots.

I think the full trailer is going to be the best thing we can get.

define: bomb

Do badly.

Bungie created a monster, and they don't know how to put it to sleep.

Halo was so amazing because of the focus, Halo 2 less so. Halo 3 was the equivalent of the Iraq invasion, for some reason.

Halo was so amazing because of the focus, Halo 2 less so. Halo 3 was the equivalent of the Iraq invasion, for some reason.

Halo 3 was a vast improvement over 2 in single player and multiplayer so what are you going on about?

Halo 3 was a vast improvement over 2 in single player and multiplayer so what are you going on about?

What are you going on about? Halo 3 sp over Halo 2 sp? Apart from the war beetle bit, it wasn't a great fps.

What are you going on about? Halo 3 sp over Halo 2 sp? Apart from the war beetle bit, it wasn't a great fps.

Much better story and level design. It wasn't a poor cut n paste job from the first game.

An obvious troll bait.

Not at all. I think you'll find you're in a tiny minority if you reckon that Halo 2's campaign is better than Halo 3's.

And Snowman's right - your original argument about the multiplayer is just... it's just... well, words fail me. I've got no idea how screwy your neurons would have to get, to not realise that Halo 3 has remained one of the most popular games on Live since its release. So to say that including multi in Reach would make the game bomb is plain weird.

This is all irrelevant to the point you were originally trying to make though. You said that Reach would bomb if it focuses on multiplayer. The considerable popularity of the multiplayer in Halo 2 and 3 might indicate otherwise.

So yeah, no gameplay in the trailer, but a couple of interesting things to note. First off, and despite being a cut-scene of sorts, it looks like it's running in-engine. I have absolutely no way of substantiating that claim, but if Bungie wanted to push the boat out CG-wise, they've done way better in the past. Anyway, the point is it looks signifcantly better than either Halo 3 or ODST.

Also - and it should go without saying really, given the setting - Elites are back. It's up on Bungie's site for download in 360 and 720p.

There it is, the dreaded term! "In-engine".

Cynicism aside it didn't really reveal much. Presumably you play as Six who'll be as mute as the Rookie, you'll play through the game with your squad, and... that's about it.