Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

I had a game ages ago on Halo 3, 2v2 slayer on Construct, where the opposing team got one point ahead, and then just disappeared. We spent a good few minutes looking for these jokers, at which point I had the brainwave of searching youtube for “construct halo hiding spots”. After a few seconds, I found a video showing a spot way below the level, on the lift-esque structure that supports the actual playing area.

Going back to the Xbox, I grabbed the sniper rifle, and through the scope, could make out two players cowering on a ledge way below. I carefully sniped one of them, respawning him in the play area, and left the other one on the ledge of shame – that way, for the rest of the game, it was two against one, so we had a massive advantage. If the other coward wanted to join in, he’d have to kill himself first, putting us even further ahead. Justice was served.

Classic Times. It was thoroughly unsporting of them, but good old-fashioned English Justice was served that day.

Good story K.

Am I the only person that hates DMRs? I hated them in the other games and I hate them in Reach. I can use them a bit but it really frustrates me that the majority of matchmaking games are all about proficiency with the DMR and a playstyle which suits them. I much prefer normal Slayer on the smaller maps where weapon choice means something and your movement and positioning within the level make much more of a difference. I also don't find it a very satisfying weapon except for when you get a headshot on an unshielded guy. Unfortunately I seem to be totally alone in this opinion because everyone votes for DMR slayer when it's available. It would be nice for there to be set of maps without the DMR/Needle Rifle.

^ i think they've reduced the dominance of the BR from the older games with the DMR, the bloom means it's not as acurate and it's supposed to be used differently - body shots to take out the shield, then wait for a more acurate headshot to finish (although i'm stuck in my ways and can't stop using it like a BR), the pistol is a good alternative at medium/short range. DMR is still my favorite though so maybe they haven't nerfed it enough! And I never really vote for DMR slayer...

I just started playing the single player mode of this last night, but already have a massive problem! I played for about two hours and when I turned it on again it wouldn't allow me to resume the campaign - just got an unable to load error. I then tried again and it didn't even recognise that there was save data and promoted me to start the campaign again!

Is this a known issue? Can I recover my save?

Just got an email from MS saying there's a demo up now - campaign, multiplayer and firefight as well as £10 off the full game. Sounds nice but poorly targeted marketing...

Edit - the tenner is off the games on demand version so is still loads <_<

Nice demo though!

Any one here play SWAT? It's only Krypt and I with a smattering of Gonk

I can't get enough of it (Fnar)

I loved SWAT, and I might make a return to Reach, although that would generally be considered a "bad thing" by anyone who has ever had me on their team.

Can someone explain what the Classic Slayer playlist is please? I got the impression it removes armour abilities but is restricted to forge only maps?

Just got an email from MS saying there's a demo up now - campaign, multiplayer and firefight as well as £10 off the full game. Sounds nice but poorly targeted marketing...

Edit - the tenner is off the games on demand version so is still loads <_<

Which is £39.99! :wacko:

Can someone explain what the Classic Slayer playlist is please? I got the impression it removes armour abilities but is restricted to forge only maps?

That's pretty much it. The maps are all Forge remakes from Halo CE and Halo 2. It's good fun, but I don't think the population's that great. The last time I checked there were only 100-odd people playing.

I've got a love/hate thing going on with the DMR. I'm generally okay at popping shields but my aim turns to crap when I'm trying to land a headshot. I know I'm supposed to pause and wait for the reticle bloom to reset, but it's easier said than done when my shield's down to nothing and I'm on my last sliver of health. My K to D ratio in Reach is alright but that's mostly due to me stealing Poop's kills getting the drop on my opponent; if we start shooting each other at the same time I usually come off worse. :(

Out of interest would you guys like to see armour abilities back in the next Halo game? Personally I wouldn't miss them, but the low population in the Team Classic playlist suggests I'm in the minority. I don't mind them in campaign or Firefight, but in competitive multiplayer they generally irritate me. The only ones I like are sprint and hologram; the others I wouldn't miss at all.

I hate armour locking fags and camo whores. Sprint is a must for the next game I think. If I'm using the DMR at distance I crouch spam the first three shots. In fact I used to pace all my shots but there's a lot to be said for acurate spamming. Most of the MLG guys spam like it's going out of fashion. The huge thing about the DMR is it's situation specific. With the BR it didn't matter if you were up close or far away. With the DMR spam when close, pace when far away. Medium distance spam the first two or three pace the last one or two. What I do lo e about spamming though is when it's the pistol and someone's running at you. You can spam it so quickly and drop their shields just in time to finish with the melee. So good

I just started playing the single player mode of this last night, but already have a massive problem! I played for about two hours and when I turned it on again it wouldn't allow me to resume the campaign - just got an unable to load error. I then tried again and it didn't even recognise that there was save data and promoted me to start the campaign again!

Is this a known issue? Can I recover my save?

Well, your stats from the other day are visible on Bungie.net. So you haven't lost your Credits/Commendations progress - the game should sync up with your online stats automatically. You can confirm this by pressing start at the title screen and checking that you've got a campaign kill count.

As for the error loading your Campaign progress - looking at Bungie.net, you didn't complete ONI Sword Base. But assuming you ended your last session using Save & Quit rather than just turning the game off, the Resume option should work fine. If you got an error, it's either a problem with the disc, or your save's corrupted.

If you go into the Campaign menu and choose your level, do you still have the option to select ONI Sword Base - or do you only have the first levels (Noble Actual/Winter Contingency) available to you?

My friend just got an xbox after having a PS3 and was asking about doing some co-op gaming. We've both picked up Halo Reach, it's my first Halo game apart from an hour of the first. We plan on starting the campain mode tomorrow.

Well, your stats from the other day are visible on Bungie.net. So you haven't lost your Credits/Commendations progress - the game should sync up with your online stats automatically. You can confirm this by pressing start at the title screen and checking that you've got a campaign kill count.

As for the error loading your Campaign progress - looking at Bungie.net, you didn't complete ONI Sword Base. But assuming you ended your last session using Save & Quit rather than just turning the game off, the Resume option should work fine. If you got an error, it's either a problem with the disc, or your save's corrupted.

If you go into the Campaign menu and choose your level, do you still have the option to select ONI Sword Base - or do you only have the first levels (Noble Actual/Winter Contingency) available to you?

Thanks Nick, I suppose it's not a big deal to start again as I was only a little into it but I was just worried it would happen again!

The first time I tried to resume it gave me the option of selecting the level but now it only has start new campaign. The save game is not appearing on my HD either.

I'll just start again and cross my fingers! ;)

With regard to the abilities in general i find them annoying, except sprint and Holo. But to be honest I can live with them all except armour lock. At least the rest of them give you some way to kill the user. How irritating is it to see someone armour lock, come out of it, fuck a grenade at you and then armour lock again. In saying that though I'd prefer them all gone except sprint.

played last night for about 2 hours with the razer onza so i thought i'd give some impressions...

The first thing that struck me was how well it felt, i picked up the regular controller this morning and it felt fat and like a toy. It's really well designed particularly for the parts where your hands hold the controller, from the little finger to the middle.

The second thing that i really noticed was the face buttons. I'd read that they were sensitive but I really wasn't prepared for how delicate they were. Initially i thought they were flimsy but knew that this was just me adjusting and i have-ish..

Then i went straight for the adjustable sticks, the resistance really works. I've gone straight to a seven sensitivity and my aim is better, particularly with the sniper. I turned the tension on the right stick (aiming for me) to it's highest. I always over compensate when trying to adjust to hit a moving target and this really helped me not over shoot and stay steady. It's a bit like there are two circles within the thumbstick circumference now. The inner circle is still pretty loose and free but when you push the stick out towards the edge to feel the resistance and it really helps to steady me; i'm fairly rough with my movements...

The triggers are fine.

The biggest headache are the two new bumpers (you can map any other button to these). The problem is the proximity of them all. I have dainty little girl hands and i still found myself lobbing grenades when I was jumping (play bumper jumper). I'm sure though that this will just take a little while, at the moment though I have the two new bumpers mapped to what I used the old bumpers for just until I get used the positions back there.

Overall it's really growing on me; i was a little underwhelmed after being bitten by the hype monster. I got it really for the adjustable sticks and they haven't disappointed.

50 euro too, that's not too much more than a regular controller so it's kind of a no brainer...

I played Reach a fair bit but then most people I know got bored(as they always do *sigh*) and moved to other things, I still play now and then but can get frustrating on your own especially on SWAT. I'd like to get back onto Reach though, so if there are people who still play regularly and have room on their friends lists/in their parties feel free to Add me, Gamertag is the same as my forum name. Ta :)

I am playing in the late evenings/early mornings at the moment, gamertag is Jigsawn

I generally like to play Team/Squad Slayer, Invasion and Big Team Battle. Also I don't usually use a mic so I don't disturb my housemates, but rest assured I can hear you!

Thanks for the games last night guys. I need to get back into the swing of Halo, I was all over the place at times.

Does the MLG playlist remove armour abilities? On paper it sounds like a decent alternative to the regular slayer playlist, but I assume there's a catch.

Oh, and while I'm asking questions, is Halo 3 worth playing these days? I had assumed not (as no-one seems to talk about it) but from what I remember of it I preferred the maps which seemed better designed for 4v4 slayer, and there was far more visual variety due to the lack of forged stuff in matchmaking.

I've only ever played about two games of MLG and they were under duress, but if I remember correctly everyone starts with Sprint. Other AAs are dotted around the map but you have to fight for them. That's my understanding anyway. You may wish to treat this as a GONKFAX until someone more informed confirms or denies it.

I've sent FRs out to a few of you. If I've missed anyone feel free to send one my way. Playing with Todd and Joe Random is consistantly an exercise in head-banging frustration and something I'm eager to avoid!

Does the MLG playlist remove armour abilities? On paper it sounds like a decent alternative to the regular slayer playlist, but I assume there's a catch.

Yeah you have to play with MLG types who make the denizens of your average Halo, CoD or GoW playlist look like guests at the Ambassador's dinner party.