Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

Been playing a lot of this in multiplayer recently but have been struggling with the DMR a lot. I am ok when scoped in but as soon as I start getting hit, you can't scope any more and I always lose medium/long range battles when the other person has a DMR, I just can't seem to hit their head when strafing around with no scope. Any tips anyone?

If you get hit out of scope you have to still play as if you're in scope. I say this because I do it all the time. The trick is once you've been hit out of scope, stay calm and don't move the reticule, you'll still be in position aimed on the target and then I focus on getting any shots on the body, it's surprising how easy it is to still hit someone when you're out of scope crossmap long distance, there's huge compensation for it. Look at the body to see if shots are registering and use the left thumbstick to strafe left and right timing your shots rather than using the right thumbstick to aim as this is harder plus if you use the left you're more than likely at the right level/position.

Or if all that all goes tits up. Do this instead...

Congrats! I just got my first Buck Wild!!

Frigging sweet! Not got one of those yet I don't think. Grats man!

If you get hit out of scope you have to still play as if you're in scope. I say this because I do it all the time. The trick is once you've been hit out of scope, stay calm and don't move the reticule, you'll still be in position aimed on the target and then I focus on getting any shots on the body, it's surprising how easy it is to still hit someone when you're out of scope crossmap long distance, there's huge compensation for it. Look at the body to see if shots are registering and use the left thumbstick to strafe left and right timing your shots rather than using the right thumbstick to aim as this is harder plus if you use the left you're more than likely at the right level/position.

Thanks for the advice, I always aim with the right stick in those situations, so I can stop doing that, and I'll stop trying to go for headshots when non-scoped at range.

As an aside, I really like that Abridged map, where there's a Falcon at each base and the big grey area in the middle. Territories and CTF are particularly fun on it. There's always great fights in vehicles and whizzing around gunning from the Falcon is really fun on this map.

The Package was excellent on LASO. Once we took to the the Scorpion tank (and the embarassment of riches that lay ahead - we captured multiple Revanants along the way) it was pretty easy going. Hell, it didn't get really difficult until we had to defend Dr Halsey's lab, and even then I'm sure we could've done it better a second time round (we'd run out of weapons by the very end).

Much easier than the last LASO on Alexandria, which we didn't complete. A dozen or so Elites is bad enough, but when they don't stay still long enough to soak up any damage because they're jetpacking...forget about it.

I hope they repeat the LASO challenges, though. I've missed a couple along the way and I really wanna do them all.

Is it possible to download the “official” map variants without actually playing the map through matchmaking? I’d like to have a look at the new maps on a playlist, without actually having to hang around until they randomly turn up.

The search function on the file sharing thing is fucking rubbish.

been playing this more and more again. BTB is much imporoved as Lucky Gonk said and even though I still think armour lock was a mistake it's still the most enjoyable FPS around.

by the way for those that forgot about them the Razer Onza is on sale. mine is somewere in the UK but soon to be in my sweaty oirish hands!!

by the way for those that forgot about them the Razer Onza is on sale. mine is somewere in the UK but soon to be in my sweaty oirish hands!!

Link please!

My 1st Buck Wild!

Awesome work there dude! Your killing spree kill was my fave when you dropped down from landing 3 health pack to level 2 and then BOOM!

It looks as if we'll be getting some kind of Halo related announcement at E3:

201846-IMAG0016-620x.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/personalized-ms-press-badge-hints-at-e3-halo-reveal-201846.phtml

Most interesting, however, is the inclusion of multiple stickers that reference Microsoft's blockbuster Halo franchise. While nothing has been announced at this time, it's been rumored the publisher may be ready to reveal its next big title in the Halo universe. We've been hearing everything from an HD remake of 2001's Halo: Combat Evolved, to a game that fully utilizes Microsoft's hands-free Kinect.

As long as it's the former and not the latter I'm sure everyone will be happy.

Pretty sure that it's Combat Evolved with a mandatory Kinect control scheme. They've slowed the action down a little just so you can really get your groove on in some choreographed dance sections.

That's your dream come true, I know.

Wahwah, don't poke the bear. :P

Given how hard MS are pushing Kinect I imagine there'll be some kind of jazz hand functionality built in. It seems like a case of square pegs and round holes to me, but my experience with Kinect is limited and I do lack imagination. So long as it's optional it doesn't bother me.

I'm coming around to the idea that the Halo CE remake won't have a multiplayer element. One of the posters over at GAF made the point that 343 won't want to split the community that's currently playing Reach. He also hypothesised that Reach's DLC will be bundled in with the Halo CE remake in the same way that Halo 3's DLC was bundled in with ODST. I've no idea if he's on the money but I can see the logic in what he's saying.

Late last evening we were getting huge slot credit payouts after only a small number of games. It carried on for about 3 hours, did any of you guys get it? I was on Squad Slayer and then switched to Big Team Battle after a disconnection. In one game I got over 8000 credits! I know there are jackpots but I've never had one before, and didn't think they'd be over a number of games. Anyway, finally could afford the death hearts thing, so now when I die at least there's something cool to look at :)

I've noticed that quitters thankfully seem to be much less frequent these days. I think the jackpot thing may have worked. I don't see it too often now and usually it's just one or two guys when it does happen. However there do seem to be a lot of dropouts during the match loading which sucks.

It looks as if we'll be getting some kind of Halo related announcement at E3:

201846-IMAG0016-620x.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/personalized-ms-press-badge-hints-at-e3-halo-reveal-201846.phtml

That's Destructoid for you in a nutshell - a press pass with stickers on it = new Halo game!

Utter nonsense. There may be a new Halo game at E3 but there's nothing that indicates that from the pass. By their logic, Portal 3 is going to be shown too.

Sorry, I hate Destructoid.

Hating Destructoid is fine and in isolation I wouldn't consider it news-worthy, but rumours of a Halo CE remake have been knocking around for a while now. I'll be very surprised if there isn't some kind of Halo related announcement at E3. I've no idea whether it's a remake specifically or a teaser for Halo 4, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume that we'll hear something. :)

Hating Destructoid is fine and in isolation I wouldn't consider it news-worthy, but rumours of a Halo CE remake have been knocking around for a while now. I'll be very surprised if there isn't some kind of Halo related announcement at E3. I've no idea whether it's a remake specifically or a teaser for Halo 4, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume that we'll hear something. :)

Indeed - I'm totally on board and expect something Halo at E3 - but they fished out the evidence from a sticker, and you believed it ;)

That would be a fair comment if I'd taken it in isolation, but like I said these rumours have been floating around for a good while now. 343 themselves have previously teased the possiblity of a Halo CE remake. Also, it's reasonably safe to assume we'll hear some announcements relating to Gears 3. Arkham City et al, so why not Halo? I think there's a certain method to my madness. :)

The hologram's one of the few AA's I like but the game feels so slow with anything other than sprint enabled. I'm pretty sure the base player movement speed in Reach is slower than in previous Halo games. I remember Bungie saying during Reach's development that they were looking to differentiate Spartans and Elites and give them unique attributes, but I think the Spartans suffered a bit as a consequence. I enjoy Elite slayer on the occasions I get to play it, possibly because their movement speed and jump height is more in keeping with what I'd expect from a Halo game.