rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kryptonian

Halo: Reach

Clocked this last night on heroic. Absolutely loved it.

Holding the underground glacier level beneath sword base was amazing, running forward under fire to reactivate the turrets and all that. I will say though, I thought it was a bit of a shame there wasn't more to that location: I would've loved to have fought my way through that enormous Forerunner structure, I was thinking it was going to be some sort of tribute to AOTCR when the level opened. Shame.

The 'last stand' with Emil in the big gun was some awesome stuff, at one point I completely ran out of ammo and had to take down 5-6 brutes who were holding down the little rock formation to the right of the gun using a stray gravity hammer. Somehow I managed to stealth them and took down the lot without them even opening fire (much)! I saved the film, I'll try to make a clip later, but it was an amazing moment. The Lone Wolf epilogue after the credits was superb too, I was expecting a cutscene or something. Pleasantly surprised.

And so to matchmaking! Legendary too, in a little while.

• Upvote 2

Also, has anyone else had the bug where the Spartan you're meant to be doing the level with randomly stops following you to just stand in the same spot for the rest of the game?

Happened to me three times in my first plathrough, including the massive Brute fight on the landing pad right at the end. Not fun!

That bit at the end is deliberate - he clears off to fire the Mac cannon while you're fighting the ground troops.

I'm not finding Legendary too difficult at all. It's probably about the same as 3 and ODST - perhaps slightly tougher. Although some people have said it's the easiest one yet. I've not to had to do any bits 'cheaply' yet either (i.e by exploiting any AI quirks or simply running past stuff).

I've been ok so far apart from the bit with the 4 hunters - utterly ridiculous on legendary. I just ran past them, hit the switch and got out again

How would you guys like a Halo in a proper open world, say Fallout? With enemy bases/proper battle fronts/towns to explore? Think it would work?

Surprised no-one has moaned about the "RETURN TO THE BATTLEFIELD!" message that appears if you step out of line. It seems to come up pretty easily. For example if you dip a toe in the water on the last bit of "Exodus" it seems to appear. I also quite fancied a walk around outside of the

Covenant Corvette.

It looks as though I could walked all the way along it were it not for the timer.

Yeah, that was probably what I enjoyed most about Halo 2. You could literally get 'out' of most of the levels fairly easily, they didn't even bother putting invisible walls anywhere. For example the bit outside of the space station on the first level, due to low gravity it was especially easy to leap up to the top of the structures and walk a massive distance the length of the station, well outside of where you're supposed to go. Pointless, but fun to explore.

Also on the New Mombasa level there were numerous places where you could scale buildings then end up being able to get up on top of the buildings where you weren't supposed to, and you could see where the game world ended with just roads going into a void of nothingness (which you could fall off into) and buildings half rendered because you could now see them from angles you weren't supposed to, etc etc. I found it fascinating to get a behind the scenes look like that, with minimal effort, and it really made it clear just how unfinished and rushed the game was.

Going back to Reach, I managed to delete my progress on Legendary mode too (was up to the fifth mission :facepalm: ). I was looking at the challenges, and I saw i'd completed the weekly one, but had no idea what it was for. I didn't even know there were campaign ones so I pressed 'A' with it selected, I got a message about progress being lost but I didn't pay much attention because I thought they were all multiplayer achievements. It took me to a lobby for a specific campaign level, difficulty heroic, and now I don't get the option anywhere to 'resume campaign' <_<

I've been ok so far apart from the bit with the 4 hunters - utterly ridiculous on legendary. I just ran past them, hit the switch and got out again

That was possibly my favourite bit, the [mission 8 spoilers]

location of the futuristic nightclub was a brilliant surprise and excellently designed

, plus hunters are my 'favourite' enemy. Only heard after i'd done it on Heroic (a tough challenge) that you could just run in and out again, seems a shame, since it's such a great scene.

Given a choice I'd prefer to keep it all in this thread. It seems to work alright over at GAF. The Halo folder in Online always felt like something of a ghost town whenever I remembered to visit it. Sure, loads of folks are posting at the mo', but the game's only been out a week. I imagine it'll slow down in the coming in weeks or months once interest tails off. Also, having just the one thread would keep it visible, which may go some way to helping us maintain a community.

Just my two cents. Obviously I'm happy to go with the consensus. :)

With regards to playtesting your map: I'm around most evenings. Send me an invite and I'll cut across and join you.

Well my main reason for wanting it is down to Forge. I'm just worried that I'll spend all this time creating maps, as I'm sure others will, just for it to get buried in here.

It's pretty much happened already, with my posts from earlier!

I just thought it might be useful to have different threads for Forge/Customs, Campaign/Co-op, Firefight & Matchmaking.

That way all the chat in each thread will be obvious and you can go directly to where you want.

I know what you mean about it being like a ghost town in there at the moment, but I'm sure there was a steady stream of posts in there for at least the first year.

It was just a thought anyway, so I'll leave it up to the mods.

I did similar. I took one down then did the run. Sneaky!

On the whole MP thing - I'd say leave it all in here. Nobody pays attention the the online threads for certain games. I know that pretty much all of the rllmuk Modern Warfare 2 games I took part in came from the main MW2 thread in Discussion. And so far the same has happened with Reach.

I'm considering buying this, even though I've got no time to play it at all and I swore I'd never play another online game after MW2 became an obsession.

It just sounds so sweet though!

Sniped someone through a 3 inch gap earlier. They weren't expecting that.

I love playing Sniper for a minute, and then switching to Shotgun and ripping the whole enemy team apart from up close when they think you're gonna keep your distance :wub:

DMR - M392

Kills: 273 | Deaths: 159

Shotgun - M45 TS

Kills: 120 | Deaths: 37

Sniper Rifle - SRS99

Kills: 92 | Deaths: 80

How would you guys like a Halo in a proper open world, say Fallout? With enemy bases/proper battle fronts/towns to explore? Think it would work?

Of course it would. I've been thinking the same thing since Halo 3.

It would be amazing.

Be great if this is what 343 do with it. Imagine a world you can 'live' in, with combat like Halo's.

Hard to imagine how they'd implement levelling up and stuff, although I suppose it doesn't neccessarily have to go that way.

But yeah, would be sweet.

It's called ODST.

Nah it's not though, ODST was pretty poor. It's even clearer now. It's like that son you don't love as much as the others.

Getting on now. I've got an hour or so to get the daily challenges. If anyone fancies some Matchmaking, get me on Live.

Has anyone had a go at forging their own map yet?

I've been trying to set up flag and capture points for about an hour now, but I must be missing something within the properties of the flag stands and capture points :/

I was trying to set some checkpoints for a race map... no idea what to do with that.

Hmmm.

ODST is allowed out on once a year, on his birthday. He is not allowed to speak. 2 gets a week of freedom for having Elites, but is heavily beaten before being returned to his cage.

Has anyone had a go at forging their own map yet?

I've been trying to set up flag and capture points for about an hour now, but I must be missing something within the properties of the flag stands and capture points :/

Yeah, I don't quite get how to set up objective games, was trying to customise a jetpack Griffball thing, but I couldn't set the goal points right. However I made a fun Slayer map earlier, it's on my fileshare.

This game is beginning to mess with my head a bit. The panoramas, the background details, the fly-by sequences, the scale of what you're actually LOOKING AT is immense. Puts Gears 2 and MW2 to shame.

But the actual gameplay and the areas you fight and travel through still seem tiny compared to the first Halo. I can't figure out whether it's all in my head or not and the emptier environments in Halo:CE seemed much bigger than they really were. Also, there's a lot of go to a door - cutscene - come out of the door stuff going on which I don't think is helping.

There's nothing like Two Betrayals in Reach, hi-jacking the Banshee and flying to the top of that huge structure, Hunters miles below still firing up at you. That first light bridge on the second level of CE, or the final approach to the control room up the huge ziggurat thing (or capturing the banshee before the lift and swooping down and realising it's all one huge gameplay area, not portalled or broken up...). :(

Couldn't agree more. Halo felt far more epic, especially when the technology it ran on is considered. I'd completely forgotten the Banshee action on Two Betrayals.

I think a run through all the games in chronological order is called for.

I'm still waiting to be approved on rllmuk reach 2, but I'm looking to play some legendary co-op tonight or tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Well, I've been building and testing a Forge map all day, with the help of gamepaused and my brother and I think it's shaping up quite nicely.

A proper asymmetric slayer map, in the Guardian vein, although a bit bigger.

I just need to get weapon placements and spawns sorted and to add a bit of polish and then it'll be ready to roll.

I'd ideally like to get 2 teams of 4 on there to properly try it out tomorrow, so does anyone fancy it?

I'll be about on Friday and Saturday nights if you need anyone else :)

Thought you must be busy spending all that time in there!

Has anyone ever had their other Spartan die before? I'm playing Tip of the Spear on Legendary, right at the beginning when you've got Kat riding shotgun and the marine on the missile launcher on the back of your Warthog. They both got taken out by a nearby explosion which I just barely survived, or rather the marine did; Kat's dead body is nowhere to be seen. She's simply disapperared. I've since managed to take out the first gun turret without them (yes I am amazing) and she said whatever she says after the bombing run begins, but I still can't find her. There better be an achievement in this for me.

Edit: trying to avoid the two ghosts immediatly after (with no one to man the missiles the launcher) I run the warthog over the cliff and on to a little nook beneath, about half way up from the water, with no hope of getting back up and the game instantly checkpoints :facepalm: Nice view of the battle on the other side of the lake, though...

Got myself a Live acciount for this and RSG, so feel free tio add mygamertag so i can join in some rllmuk action please: MattLeSolid

Sniped someone through a 3 inch gap earlier. They weren't expecting that.

I love playing Sniper for a minute, and then switching to Shotgun and ripping the whole enemy team apart from up close when they think you're gonna keep your distance :wub:

DMR - M392

Kills: 273 | Deaths: 159

Shotgun - M45 TS

Kills: 120 | Deaths: 37

Sniper Rifle - SRS99

Kills: 92 | Deaths: 80

Fancy writing a bit if a mini guide? I'm useless at MP, though I was getting better yesterday, starting getting more kills than deaths. Then came up against a clan and got battered :-(

It seems Like complete chaos online, I'm killing someone then instantly getting killed myself. Feels like MW2 FFA on Rust most of the time!