rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kryptonian

Halo: Reach

First paragraph: Isn't it ironic that people have been crying out for more expansive, epic scale battles since the first game. Reach delivers and then you moan that there are too many of them.

Okay, but it doesn't change the fact I thought there were too many. Plus I wasn't one of those people. So I fail to see your point.

Third paragraph: The game chages thing up, the AI moving about, and you don't like it because it presents a challenge. Use your guile. It's not cheap. At all.

Again, not what I'm saying. Nothing like what I'm saying. My point was that there shouldn't have been a power weapon insta-death (in a corridor!) at the end of the longest section in the game. It's never happened in previous Halos. Why should I play the same ten minutes over and over, never dying, to face one guy at the end who can kill me in one shot and appears in different positions every time? Give me a checkpoint. It's like not having a checkpoint before a boss. Like everyone else I love that it plays differently every time I replay a section.

Again, not what I'm saying. Nothing like what I'm saying. My point was that there shouldn't have been a power weapon insta-death (in a corridor!) at the end of the longest section in the game. It's never happened in previous Halos. Like everyone else I love that it plays differently every time I replay a section.

I will agree with you on some of the checkpointing, but this is an issue to a more or lesser degree across all games.

I also think there's a reason for it. Ish. But still, rubbish.

Finished on normal last night and I thought it was excellent all the way though, looking forward to starting fresh on heroic this evening.

I'm not super skilled at Halo so I still found a few parts challenging on normal, mainly when confronted with multiple Elites or the

Brutes on the final level

, a bad checkpoint on the latter didnt help me though.

Also played a few multiplayer matches, our 12 player mongoose checkpoint race was ridiculous and descended into a big hijacking mess within a few minutes.

I don't really get the complaints either. I found that there's almost as much opportunity to look around and take in the details and atmosphere as in the first game. Yes, there's many occasions where someone tells you to move on (and for good reasons), but Cortana did the same thing in Combat Evolved. It never bothered me. This is in no way comparable to something like Modern Warfare where you have to move on to stop the endless spawning and in the end I felt I'd seen half of the game.

• Upvote 1

Second paragraph: The elites have been easy to take out with the plasma pistol/pistol-battle rifle combo since Halo:CE. It's their weak spot. Why would Reach be any different?

The Elites are far easier to take out than in the original though, so I agree with Timmo on this.

As much of a welcome return as they are, they're just too weak. You don't even need to use the plasma/human combo on them any more, even on Legendary, and I find that quite disappointing. They go down easy enough with liberal DMR or Needle Rifle shots to the head, and they just don't get into cover as much as the original, which makes things far too easy.

I really don't know why they still can't see what makes them so good to fight in CE. They still haven't managed to replicate it after all this time. These Elites just seem to hang around in packs, running backwards and forwards with no apparent awareness they're getting pummelled by my DMR.

As much as I'm loving the game, there are still a lot of flaws that haven't been addressed, which makes me a bit sad, especially with it being Bungie's swan song.

I don't want to say too much until I've done another couple of Legendary runs through, but at the moment I don't think it's fit to lick CE's boots.

Again, not what I'm saying. Nothing like what I'm saying. My point was that there shouldn't have been a power weapon insta-death (in a corridor!) at the end of the longest section in the game. It's never happened in previous Halos. Why should I play the same ten minutes over and over, never dying, to face one guy at the end who can kill me in one shot and appears in different positions every time? Give me a checkpoint. It's like not having a checkpoint before a boss. Like everyone else I love that it plays differently every time I replay a section.

It's happened in all Halos. There's a rocket launcher flood in a narrow corridor near the end of Halo. There's also the sword wielding invisible bastards when you first board the Truth and Reconciliation as well. And then there's the amount of shit at the end of The Final Run when you have to go steal a banshee. There's fuel rod grunts in Halo 3 at the end of the bridge near the end of the Covenant level, along with Brute chiefs with Hammers. Every Halo game has a sticking moment in it (Halo 2 had too many to mention). I fail to see what you've outlined above as any different. The lack of a checkpoint? If it's during a battle, Halo games rarely give a checkpoint during a full on encounter.

• Upvote 4

Okay, but it doesn't change the fact I thought there were too many. Plus I wasn't one of those people. So I fail to see your point.

You can't please all the people all of the time.

It's happened in all Halos. There's a rocket launcher flood in a narrow corridor near the end of Halo. There's also the sword wielding invisible bastards when you first board the Truth and Reconciliation as well. And then there's the amount of shit at the end of The Final Run when you have to go steal a banshee. There's fuel rod grunts in Halo 3 at the end of the bridge near the end of the Covenant level, along with Brute chiefs with Hammers. Every Halo game has a sticking moment in it (Halo 2 had too many to mention). I fail to see what you've outlined above as any different. The lack of a checkpoint? If it's during a battle, Halo games rarely give a checkpoint during a full on encounter.

My memory isn't fit to touch yours! If anything, the game had been spunking checkpoints at me almost too much up until that point. I totally understand it was an end of level gauntlet designed to be done in one go.

Finished it on normal last night. Despite all the "Lol, noob setting, you aren't playing the real game" comments I enjoyed playing through on this difficulty. There was still a couple of sticking points, not helped by me battling through the tank level without the tank as I never noticed it.

Excellent game. The best looking Halo game for me, actually it's probably been my favourite Halo game.

• Upvote 2

Man, this is starting to take a serious dip in quality towards the end

city levels - some really duff NPC AI - just strolling past brutes and grunts and sometimes just standing in a group waiting for me to activate them. Visuals have strangely dipped in quality all of a sudden, too.

Just want it to end now - shame that.

Except being part of a team etc etc etc etc.

It's weird, because here you demonstrate that you understand why the above is going on but you still act baffled by it.

Not baffled... just saying what I don't like. If you don't mind people yelling at you for acting in a reasonable way (picking up ammo, or moving at full speed towards the mission target), then that's fine. As noted above in what I hoped was a light-hearted way, all the "move your ass" chat may be "realistic", but this isn't a military simulator, and I find it annoying. Just my personal opinion.

As to the "team" thing. It's not my team-mates yelling at me - it's the commander, over the comms, or Marines/ODSTs I encounter. In Halo the Marines were in awe of you; in Halo 2, Sgt Johnson yelled orders at you; and in Reach, low-ranking troopers make sarcastic comments when you pick up ammo. It's a bit of a come-down.

There was still a couple of sticking points, not helped by me battling through the tank level without the tank as I never noticed it.

Easily done, but :lol:

I was kind of thinking "Hmm, that Hunter bit was tricky but this is some difficulty spike. 3 ghosts, 2 of those mini-wraiths, turrets and loads of gits with fuel rod guns?"

I still manned up and did it (after nearly crying at the 20th retry).

• Upvote 1

Well that's a wrong decision. It didn't happen in previous Halos and they didn't suffer for it. It's incredible how short-sighted you are in this thread, Smitty. Utterly unable to see any flaws in your precious son.

To be pedantic, it did happen in Halo 2 (Cortana yelling at you to hurry up and get in that teleporter thing towards the end of thr game), and Johnson yelling at you to hurry up and kill the end-game boss, and I'm pretty sure it happened in Halo 3. It was annoying then, but it's much more frequent in Reach, though.

I don't mind the odd bit of time pressure (the end run on the first game, for example), but I don't like AIs telling me to hurry up when my style is to methodically pick the enemies off slowly.

In Mass Effect 2, your squad can get knocked 'unconscious' until you either use health to revive them or you wait until you've cleared that particular bit of combat. Then they get up all fine. It's not perfect but at least they don't survive a direct hit from several heavy weapons like in this.

In Halo 3, the Arbiter (and maybe other plot-critical NPCs) could fall unconscious if they were taken down, and they got up again after a time (or maybe when the area was clear; I'm not sure). This wasn't entirely believable, but it was a better solution, I think.

That said, I don't personally mind Reach's team dynamic.

I was kind of thinking "Hmm, that Hunter bit was tricky but this is some difficulty spike. 3 ghosts, 2 of those mini-wraiths, turrets and loads of gits with fuel rod guns?"

I still manned up and did it (after nearly crying at the 20th retry).

I haven't got the game but this made me laugh. Well done for making it through. I reckon Big Gus has just laid a fat challenge down on all you guys who think you're so awesome at Halo games. Do a 'Big Gus' and do this level without using a tank, on Legendary.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with playing on normal. There's certainly some enjoyment to be had, and it suits those who prefer to spray and pray and run into groups meleeing everything to death etc. You just can't make criticisms on the combat from playing on Easy or Normal, as they're in a completely different league, requiring different mechanics of play and different approaches, to Heroic and Legendary, the way the game should be played. It's a shame their difficulty grading system is so weird, i'm quite sure if they got rid of the current Easy mode (which is a joke, it may aswell be called God Mode) and called them Easy, Normal (Heroic), and Hard (Legendary) then nobody would ever play 'Easy' and all would be right in the world.

• Upvote 1

Another squad mate complaint here, the fact that they're invincible isn't too irritating, it's the AI itself dictating how I approach situations. Near the end we entered this big room full of elites and grunts, and whilst stating "Let's be stealthy" or something like that he runs out and starts attempting to shotgun elites from 20 metres away. Some of the best bits in Halo 1 (imo) were those rooms where you could sneak around hitting grunts in the back of the head, and getting cheeky kills on the Elites, that just doesn't exist here and it's a shame.

Otherwise, it's a fabulous game.

• Upvote 4

well the multiplayer of this seems excellent so far. MUCH better than the beta. Colour me excited.

Shame about the limited amount of maps though

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with playing on normal. There's certainly some enjoyment to be had, and it suits those who prefer to spray and pray and run into groups meleeing everything to death etc. You just can't make criticisms on the combat from playing on Easy or Normal, as they're in a completely different league, requiring different mechanics of play and different approaches, to Heroic and Legendary, the way the game should be played. It's a shame their difficulty grading system is so weird, i'm quite sure if they got rid of the current Easy mode (which is a joke, it may aswell be called God Mode) and called them Easy, Normal (Heroic), and Hard (Legendary) then nobody would ever play 'Easy' and all would be right in the world.

This is from the mindset that everyone has this ability to play games to a certain standard. A good friend of mine would struggle on normal, not because he likes to just spray the assault rifle and run into groups and melee, but because he doesnt have the reflexes and dexterity to play these high tempo games.

The lower difficulty settings are there to cater for people who love the Halo experience, but can't play it to as high a standard. It doesnt mean he enjoys it any less.

• Upvote 2

Sorry lilman, the only way to enjoy Halo is to play it legendary in you cosplay Spartan armour with a controller modded into the shape of an assault rifle. Anything less you may get "some enjoyment" but you won't get the TRUE halo experience!

• Upvote 3

So from this thread, we can conclude:

• The graphics are amazing
  • The graphics are an embarrassment for a current game
  • The soundtrack is great
  • The soundtrack is the weakest of the Halo games
  • The storyline is very good; even moving at times
  • The storyline is rubbish, and the "moving" bits are unintentionally funny
  • The "hurry upping" team-mates are not a problem
  • The "hurry-upping" team-mates are a constant irritant
  • The guns feel meaty again
  • The guns feel puny
  • The Campaign is too short
  • The Campaign drags towards the end
  • The "novelty" sections are great
  • The "novelty" sections are weak.

Any more?

• Upvote 8

So from this thread, we can conclude:

• The graphics are amazing
  • The graphics are shit
  • The soundtrack is great
  • The soundtrack is the weakest of the Halo games
  • The storyline is very good; even moving at times
  • The storyline is rubbish, and the "moving" bits are unintentionally funny
  • The "hurry upping" team-mates are not a problem
  • The "hurry-upping" team-mates are a constant irritant
  • The guns feel meaty again
  • The guns feel puny
  • The Campaign is too short
  • The Campaign drags on too long
  • The "novelty" sections are great
  • The "novelty" sections are weak.
    Any more?

Lol, good summary.

Same old story really.

Playing it yesterday, the invincible squadmates led to rather a cheap victory, whereby I managed to defeat the two hunters on the second level by letting them get distracted by repeatedly twatting my invincible teammate, then shotgunning them in the back. It felt kind of like I was cheating to be honest, and knackered the suspension of disbelief a little; Halo’s at its best when each skirmish tells a little story, with all kinds of ebbs and flows and narrow escapes from certain death. This particular story ended with “and then my magic immortal squadmate stood in the way of the hot plasma death and giant metal worm-fists, and I killed the hunters while they were distracted”, which is a rubbish and boring story.

A skull to remove teammates (leaving just marines) would be pretty good.

Yeah, I did that bit last night in exactly the same way, it did feel cheap. Although how tough the buggers were I was glad of it!

I found an annoying bug this morning. I created a very crap map in Forge yesterday, and saved it as "shite map". This morning, I wanted to open it up and make it into "less shite map". However, I can't even load it - I get a message about "user content" being restricted. Funnily enough, I can create a new map, but can't load the one I created. I don't have any family settings on in my dash, so I suspect this is because I don't have a Gold membership any more. A bit rubbish, really. I could have made the masterpiece of the century, and I'm locked out of it.

It's weird. When I play the game in single player- I almost block the fact that the teammates exist. I still fight as if I was playing any other halo and for the most part- it is me mopping up about 95% of the enemies. Sure they can be a distraction sometimes, but the latter half of CE had the enemies plenty distracted with 3 way battles and the enviroments are significantly different from CE so it allows you AND the enemies to approach from many more angles- while it isn't ideal- I prefer to be a lone soldier as well and CE is still DA BEST, it wasn't a huge hinderance.

The combat itself was still incredlble and it was still me that was kicking ass- maybe because I was always moving, always shooting, only stopping to quickly recharge my shield before getting back in the fight. It sounds like if you hang back for a while and let the team mates blast on they may do that, but I was simply always moving, to the extent sometimes I'd shoot the other nobles by accident because I forgot they were in the middle of the fight.