rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kryptonian

Halo: Reach

Oh come on, don't neg me. Just please do yourself a favour, and play the game the way it's meant to be played - not on the pussy difficulty levels :)

• Upvote 4

Anyone else finding co-op campaign very stuttery and laggy ? Any word on a fix on the way ?

That always used to happen to me whenever I played co-op ODST and my housemate started torrenting stuff. Are you sure it's not a connection issue, due to torrents or NAT settings or something? Bungie's netcode tends to be pretty bulletproof, and I don't think anyone else in the thread has experienced similar problems.

Anyone else finding co-op campaign very stuttery and laggy ? Any word on a fix on the way ?

Yeah me. Twice I have hosted (on a 50meg line) and twice I have had some really bad stuttering areas. Meanwhile my mate who has been playing with me, said it was fine throughout.

It has probably dropped down to what has looked like single digit FPS at times. Very annoying when playing on legendary to say the least.

I find it funny that people who played on Normal feel qualified to make a solid judgement on the combat :facepalm: it's really not worth playing the game on anything lower than Heroic, but that's more a flaw of their difficult grading system than anything else. For any other game, Halo's Normal is the ridiculous easiest setting that is the one nobody older than five and with any dignity picks.

Anyone can play it on any difficulty they like and comment on the combat if they choose to. It's the Halo:Reach thread, open those without dignity and superior beings like your good self.

I haven't played it on anything yet (installing now) but if I end up playing it on normal, a copy of your list of what I'm not qualified to comment on would be helpful. Thanks. :)

• Upvote 2

Completed on Legendary tonight. I'm glad I done it this way on my first play through, it wasn't as hard as I feared and I enjoyed it all the way through. I can see that its going to be awsome fun on Legendary Co-op play :)

Oh I wish my net connection could handle Big Team games. 1 kill for a whole Invasion Slayer game. Couldn't play Halo3 Big Team games properly either. Ho hum.

Loving the single player though, just about to do the space combat bit.

the characters are shit though and i really agree that getting urged on all the time is very annoying. I felt i rushed through large sections (which i wont let happen on my next run through). And i definitely wanted to be by myself more

Yeah, I just played a section where someone was shouting at me over the comms to hurry up - when I was already moving at top speed towards the target in the vehicle the game had provided. Upthread, I noted that an ODST took the piss about me being slow when his whole squad rushed into another area while I was taking maybe ten seconds to replenish ammo - I had literally none left - what did he expect me to do? Get them all killed by taking on several waves of Elites with my fists? (Then again Mr. "Infinite Ammo" NPC probably doesn't understand this "reloading" lark).

That, and the pacy, urgent music in many sections is clearly designed to add drama - but like you, I'd rather move through at my own pace. It might be unrealistic for a super-soldier to be looking around at the scenery while his naval campadres are being shot out of the sky by the gun emplacement he's meant to be destroying, but it's my dollar, and I want to take my time without NPCs yelling at me.

It's a superb game, but, like Halo 2 and 3, there are bits where your allies yell at you to hurry up or do this or that - and that makes it less fun. I'm meant to be a powerful, competent hero in a relatively senior position, who's usually trusted to accomplish a mission under my own initiative. I don't need "reminders" to hurry up. Imagine Lord of the Rings if Elrond kept yelling at Gandalf, via some magical com-link, to hurry the hell up to Mordor. Or the Death Star trench run, with Kenobi not saying "chill out, focus, and use the Force, Luke", but shouting "Hurry up! Move your ass! The Death Star's going to kill everyonnnnneeee!!!!! You suck!!!!!!" I mean, Kenobi probably did get tea-bagged by Vader after being killed in that sabre duel, but even a Sith Lord would think twice before being as impolite as Halo's NPCs.*

*Admittedly, I haven't been Force Choked by Noble Actual for being too slow - yet - but then again, I don't remember Vader yelling at General Veers to "hurry it up! get your ass in gear" constantly over the comms during the attack on Hoth.

• Upvote 1

Havent been able to enjoy playing today as much as I'd liked due to this sodding cold I got and waking up with a headache that wouldnt sod off for like 2 hours :(

Did get that assasinate the Elite while falling achievement though after like 30 mins or so, which was nice, and just now got the complete all the daily challenges one too. Its wierd that the achievements are easier to get than previous Halo games though, at least thats what it seems like. Only the Legendary ones should give me any trouble I think.

I'm meant to be a powerful, competent hero in a relatively senior position, who's usually trusted to accomplish a mission under my own initiative.

You're not though, are you? You're part of a team of soldiers, and they're relying on you to do whatever it is you're doing. It is different to playing the MC and saving the galaxy all on your tod, but you can still piss about smelling flowers without too much penalty. At least, I do regularly.

I'm meant to be a powerful, competent hero in a relatively senior position, who's usually trusted to accomplish a mission under my own initiative.

Except being part of a team etc etc etc etc.

It's a superb game

Right.

But...

and that makes it less fun.

Hmmmm.

That, and the pacy, urgent music in many sections is clearly designed to add drama

It's weird, because here you demonstrate that you understand why the above is going on but you still act baffled by it.

what did he expect me to do?

He didn't expect you to do anything as he doesn't have AI in regards to determining your behaviour and/or intention, as you might imagine.

• Upvote 1

It might be unrealistic for a super-soldier to be looking around at the scenery while his naval campadres are being shot out of the sky by the gun emplacement he's meant to be destroying

The thing is, when making complaints like this, some people don't seem to consider the competing factors and how every element of a game does not exist in a vacuum.

Stand around for ages and have the characters not react, make it so that you can stand there for hours whilst some frantic battle rages, and you would get people complaining about that too.

Again I think a dev will sit down and decide what's best for that situation. Clearly Bungie have decided on the balance of things that it fits with the drama to emphasise stuff like that.

• Upvote 2

Well that's a wrong decision. It didn't happen in previous Halos and they didn't suffer for it. It's incredible how short-sighted you are in this thread, Smitty. Utterly unable to see any flaws in your precious son.

• Upvote 5

Are you Halo Reach's mum or something, Smitty?

Timmo, you never have anything to say to me that isn't a fucking insult, an obvious bait, or a lazy generalization. Like with fucking Snowbind, I'd love to know what the fuck did to you to deserve this constant fucking nagging across threads.

Go and eat a bowl of shit, you tedious, tedious man. You really irritate me but you don't see me popping up here and there just to make another bullshit comment based on some fucking grudge I decided on a years ago. For fucks sake.

Well that's a wrong decision. It didn't happen in previous Halos and they didn't suffer for it. It's incredible how short-sighted you are in this thread, Smitty. Utterly unable to see any flaws in your precious son.

If only you weren't talking complete shit.

Precious son? Fuck off with your bullshit baiting nonsense.

• Upvote 6

Managed to complete my Heroic runthrough last night. Found the difficulty perfectly pitched for me, enjoyed the obvious nods to other Halo games and bought a few armour mods for my Spartan. 'Twas excellent being pitted against Elites again, watching them crumble under the butt of my rifle.

Looking forward to getting into Firefight tonight, or possibly a Legendary co-op .

Playing it yesterday, the invincible squadmates led to rather a cheap victory, whereby I managed to defeat the two hunters on the second level by letting them get distracted by repeatedly twatting my invincible teammate, then shotgunning them in the back. It felt kind of like I was cheating to be honest, and knackered the suspension of disbelief a little; Halo’s at its best when each skirmish tells a little story, with all kinds of ebbs and flows and narrow escapes from certain death. This particular story ended with “and then my magic immortal squadmate stood in the way of the hot plasma death and giant metal worm-fists, and I killed the hunters while they were distracted”, which is a rubbish and boring story.

A skull to remove teammates (leaving just marines) would be pretty good.

• Upvote 3

Get bent Timmo. Idiot.

It's not about suggesting the game is perfect at all, it's more about trying to look beyond the surface of things to why certain design decisions are made. It's like people bitching about no strafing in RE4.

Just as an example, I was sometimes irritated by the amount of team mate chatter ''i'm reloading'' ''i'm under fire'' etc. I wish they had dialled it down so they could only something like that every couple of minutes or something. It seemed constant at points where they were getting fucked over. That is irritating and seems completely unnecessary, as in it doesn't really add anything to the experience.

Sorry, I mean, HALO REACH IS PERFECT.

Go and bait elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

The legendary difficulty level would make the game unfairly hard without the team mates, which is a negative thing I think - the game is geared for team combat.

I hid behind a rock for a bit while on the phone on the first level (legendary) and my team mate cleaned up most of the covenant - because he can't die. Bit disappointing.

I understand the group thing but would much prefer it if the game was set up for solo combat. People missing the Chief's aloneness is totally understandable.

Indestructible friends cheapen the experience a bit for sure.

Playing it yesterday, the invincible squadmates led to rather a cheap victory, whereby I managed to defeat the two hunters on the second level by letting them get distracted by repeatedly twatting my invincible teammate, then shotgunning them in the back. It felt kind of like I was cheating to be honest, and knackered the suspension of disbelief a little; Halo’s at its best when each skirmish tells a little story, with all kinds of ebbs and flows and narrow escapes from certain death. This particular story ended with “and then my magic immortal squadmate stood in the way of the hot plasma death and giant metal worm-fists, and I killed the hunters while they were distracted”, which is a rubbish and boring story.

In Mass Effect 2, your squad can get knocked 'unconscious' until you either use health to revive them or you wait until you've cleared that particular bit of combat. Then they get up all fine. It's not perfect but at least they don't survive a direct hit from several heavy weapons like in this.

Even in co-op on old halos, one of you can die until the area is cleared. Why not just make these AI teammates get knocked down and then when you've cleared the area, you just have to go help them up and carry on.

In Mass Effect 2, your squad can get knocked 'unconscious' until you either use health to revive them or you wait until you've cleared that particular bit of combat. Then they get up all fine. It's not perfect but at least they don't survive a direct hit from several heavy weapons like in this.

Even in co-op on old halos, one of you can die until the area is cleared. Why not just make these AI teammates get knocked down and then when you've cleared the area, you just have to go help them up and carry on.

It was also the same in both Gears games, and seems such an obvious choice. The only reason I can see for such a silly decision is that someone got a little excited about giving them the armour lock ability.

The legendary difficulty level would make the game unfairly hard without the team mates, which is a negative thing I think - the game is geared for team combat.

Well, yeah, but the whole purpose of the skulls is to make the game harder (for the most part).

It was also the same in both Gears games

I recall much whining from a crowd composed of that sort about having to do that.

Too much outdoors fighting. Never thought I'd say this, but it was just too... epic. I longed for more tight indoor fights, as I always found these the most fun. Yeah, I wanted more corridors. Not enough oppurtunites to bounce grenades etc, for me. I never felt lonely in Reach and for me that was a big negative. I wanted to be stuck behind the lines, alone.

The elites. Hmm. I was really glad to have them back, but they didn't weigh in for me. I think only once in the whole game did an elite get chance to recharge his shield after I'd started on him. Admittedly I played on Heroic so it wasn't at its hardest, but I wanted to see them diving into cover when their shield went down and being a bit more defensive and awkward to fight. Alien pistol + human pistol or DMR made very short work of every one. Unlike the first Halo I never felt in any danger 1v1, the only exceptions being when the bad guy had a power weapon.

Some of the checkpoints seemed a little ill-judged. There was one particular one around 10 minutes long (an end of level gauntlet) which ended with a fuel rod elite. He'd be in a different place every time and he'd repeatedly one shot me from distance. Very, very cheap and playing the same 10 minutes over and over became extremely irritating.

Along with the elites seeming easier than Halo 1&2, the brutes seemed different to three, for the worse. In 3 they were essentially less agile elites without recharging armour. In this one they didn't seem to have the armour for the most part and went down easily with any weapon, no tactics needed. I can't put my finger on it exactly but I didn't like the change. (What I think changed: I think some brutes had no armour but a huge health bar, whereas some were the same as 3's. Happy to be corrected though, if I'm wrong.) The hunters on the other hand are a real pain to take out. Other people have said why; I didn't like their new form and it felt more luck-based.

First paragraph: Isn't it ironic that people have been crying out for more expansive, epic scale battles since the first game. Reach delivers and then you moan that there are too many of them.

Second paragraph: The elites have been easy to take out with the plasma pistol/pistol-battle rifle combo since Halo:CE. It's their weak spot. Why would Reach be any different?

Third paragraph: The game chages thing up, the AI moving about, and you don't like it because it presents a challenge. Use your guile. It's not cheap. At all.

Fourth paragraph: Reach is set before the elite/brute schism that happens in Halo 2, therefore they won't have the armour and stuff that they were sporting in Halo 3. They're more like the brutes in Halo 2 - shaggy, gorilla types. As for the Hunters: you're not as powerful as the Master Chief, therefore, these guys will be bigger and harder and scarier. They work well.

• Upvote 1

Started another Legendary fun run last night as a Lady Spartan.

She has a nice butt and I like the way she sounds like Cortana.

It was also the same in both Gears games, and seems such an obvious choice.

Indeed. It also gives you an incentive to try and keep your teammates active, support them as you can clear enemies more effectively. This is especially true in ME2 where you pick your teammates based on their powers which would complement your abilities to the mission. Keeping them alive during combat can be essential.

This is just not a dynamic squad shooter, they're just slightly annoying set dressing.

Started another Legendary fun run last night as a Lady Spartan.

She has a nice butt and I like the way she sounds like Cortana.

I'm totally female. I think the model is slicker, the blokes are a bit chunky. I'm still a bit shocked when she speaks though.