rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kryptonian

Halo: Reach

Finished it earlier on Normal.

Absolutely loved it. It (Normal) was a walk in the park, as expected, but I've already started my Heroic run through, so it's all good.

However, something I wish had happened:

You know at the end after the credits, when your only objective is 'Survive', I really had hoped that as you're fighting wave after wave of enemies, the proper glassing of Reach starts, and eventually, if you don't die at the hands of an Elite, you die in the glassing itself.

It really has turned around in the last few years. I haven't had a 360 for ages, and last time I played, Halo was the Biggest Game Ever online, the game that that saved the Xbox, and basically killed all the other games off whenever a new instalment came out. I'm actually quite surprised to hear that MW is so popular (I haven't played it, so I'm not saying it's no good, just that I'm surprised any game has overtaken Halo).

Like you said, you haven't had an xbox for years.

I expect I'll get slaughtered for this, but here goes...

Finished it today. I'll start with the good, I guess. First, I think it's easily the best looking Halo, and one of the best looking games of the generation. I had very few noticable bits of slowdown so I'm not sure what all the moaning is for, really. I always thought Halo looked a bit too cartoony but this looks lovely. The sound, also, is brilliant. As ever, there are endless soundbytes from the soldiers (although not the spartans as I'll come to) and the music is often great.

There were some excellent parts, particularly the defence sections where you're really thinking on your feet to keep things under control.

The elites were such a welcome return, and I saw flashes of brilliance from them, albeit rarely.

I'll get straight into the bad but be positive where I can - I did enjoy it a lot but I'm very disappointed. I've been waiting ages for this game so expectation was huge.

In no particular order:

Team-mates. Well, I say no particular order but by far the worst part of Reach are your stupid, stupid team-mates. Having invincible squad members in Halo is wrong, wrong, wrong. Halos 2 and 3 got away with it because he kept his stupid mouth shut, but in Reach they constantly, constantly talk. They often repeat themselves too, which is especially annoying because the regular soldiers do it so rarely! I really hate it when they urge you to push forward, too, especially when you're pinned down by a couple of elites and carefully planning your methods. "Let's go!" Shut UP. I'll play the game at my own pace like I always have you idiot. They just shouldn't be there. It's obvious they've been programmed to be spectacularly ineffective (and rightly so), but they're just... unconvincing and jarring. Sore thumb.

I just realised, I can't remember any of their names. Despite watching all the cutscenes. The story was dreadful in this game. If someone was paid to write it then they need to read a book. When

that woman died I actually laughed out loud. She was irritating me anyway with her terrible voice. I didn't laugh out loud when my soldiers died in previous Halos. I always felt a bit sad. Watching an annoying invincible woman die was a delight.

Too much outdoors fighting. Never thought I'd say this, but it was just too... epic. I longed for more tight indoor fights, as I always found these the most fun. Yeah, I wanted more corridors. Not enough oppurtunites to bounce grenades etc, for me. I never felt lonely in Reach and for me that was a big negative. I wanted to be stuck behind the lines, alone.

The elites. Hmm. I was really glad to have them back, but they didn't weigh in for me. I think only once in the whole game did an elite get chance to recharge his shield after I'd started on him. Admittedly I played on Heroic so it wasn't at its hardest, but I wanted to see them diving into cover when their shield went down and being a bit more defensive and awkward to fight. Alien pistol + human pistol or DMR made very short work of every one. Unlike the first Halo I never felt in any danger 1v1, the only exceptions being when the bad guy had a power weapon.

Some of the checkpoints seemed a little ill-judged. There was one particular one around 10 minutes long (an end of level gauntlet) which ended with a fuel rod elite. He'd be in a different place every time and he'd repeatedly one shot me from distance. Very, very cheap and playing the same 10 minutes over and over became extremely irritating.

The very same section had something I'd not seen in a Halo game before - soldiers standing up straight, staring at nothing, completely expresionless, not reacting at all to what is going on around them. I was having a battle with a ghost with him in right the middle and he didn't move an inch. Looked stupid.

Along with the elites seeming easier than Halo 1&2, the brutes seemed different to three, for the worse. In 3 they were essentially less agile elites without recharging armour. In this one they didn't seem to have the armour for the most part and went down easily with any weapon, no tactics needed. I can't put my finger on it exactly but I didn't like the change. (What I think changed: I think some brutes had no armour but a huge health bar, whereas some were the same as 3's. Happy to be corrected though, if I'm wrong.) The hunters on the other hand are a real pain to take out. Other people have said why; I didn't like their new form and it felt more luck-based.

I didn't like the novelty sections, purely because they weren't good enough and didn't match the quality of the bread and butter sections. I won't say any more on them.

Lastly the whole flow of the thing felt a lot, lot closer to ODST's individual missions than 1 & 3's adventures. Those two felt like real journeys to me, with continuity. Reach feels like a Best Of album. Most levels are superb, but they don't feel at all connected. You could be playing a different character for every one. I liked how the first and third games made me feel like I'd been on a long journey. Reach's levels feel like they've each been made by a different team.

This might read like I wanted to hate the game, but that's the opposite of the truth. I'll play it at least once more (and already have the urge to) but it's a huge disappointment to me for all the reasons above. I was all geared up to play my favourite game of all time, and it didn't happen.

All that said, I warmed to 3 immensely on subsequent playthroughs. For some reason I can't see it happening with Reach, but I hope it does. As things stand it's my third favourite Halo behind 1 & 3. For me that's still a great game, because I love those two games a huge amount and the other two are decent.

Have to agree with this. 1 and 3 ftw

Nice basics guide for the mechanics of the weapons in multiplayer (though some of it translates to Campaign too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6snjPT-9-8

Good find, anymore useful guides out there? I'm struggling with the MP, I'm pretty decent at the MW games, but this is just so manic compared. It feels like a crazy run around like a headless chicken shooter, rather than a tactical one. I feel like a complete noob at it and where on MW, I knew what I was doing wrong, I have no clue on this. Lots if cool different game types and a good change from MW. :)

I just finished it on Normal and... I dunno... I enjoyed it, which is the main thing I suppose but I felt really quite detached from what was going on for some reason, I think the team mates if anything, made me feel more out of the game, especially in the

Scorpion bit, two teammates just sat in or near the tank waiting for me (I somehow didn't see it initially) and I went on a run with a ghost, doing my thing and they just hung about by the tank, cos that's what I was meant to do.

I did enjoy bits of it and am going to start a heroic run through in a minute so it's obviously good enough for that but I just felt no care for what was going on, it also reminded me of Gears 2 too much for some reason, maybe it's those chaps with the spikers look a bit similar to the bad dudes from Gears and also the

mission to plant a bomb underground, not a huge similarity admittedly but it immediately reminded me

At times I also genuinely didn't even know what I was doing in mission, I'd watch all the cutscenes and stuff but had no real connection with what I was meant to do and what for. Having to run about a bit until a little marker thing appeared to tell me where to go, so I did. I'm ill at the moment and my head feels full of cotton wool so my mental capacities might be a bit low but I've never been generally confused as to what to do in say... (sorry) Half Life 2 and eps.

It's probably not really my game anymore, I thought that I'd rather be playing Mass Effect 2 at times, beign more involved instead of just shooting stuff and not really having any continuity, why on earth would I dump any ammo and secondary weapon upgrades every mission?

Odd. Definitely good fun but maybe I've just gone off 'pure' shooters or something.

I've spent countless hours playing multiplayer on Blood Gulch in Halo: CE. Loved that map back then! Is there a way I can play on Hemorrhage in Reach, or am I at the mercy of the Matchmaking system? I just want some CTF or Slayer on Hemorrhage.

They often repeat themselves too, which is especially annoying because the regular soldiers do it so rarely! I really hate it when they urge you to push forward, too, especially when you're pinned down by a couple of elites and carefully planning your methods. "Let's go!" Shut UP. I'll play the game at my own pace like I always have you idiot. They just shouldn't be there. It's obvious they've been programmed to be spectacularly ineffective (and rightly so), but they're just... unconvincing and jarring. Sore thumb.

I hear you. I had one of my team-mates (an ODST, I think) make a sarcastic remark because I spent a few seconds picking up ammo. They all raced ahead, and when I caught up (maybe 15 seconds later), he said "when it's convenient for you", or similar. I had no flippin' ammo, you idiot!

I've spent countless hours playing multiplayer on Blood Gulch in Halo: CE. Loved that map back then! Is there a way I can play on Hemorrhage in Reach, or am I at the mercy of the Matchmaking system? I just want some CTF or Slayer on Hemorrhage.

If you don't get the map you like, just quit out, as soon as the game starts.

;)

• Upvote 2

I've just watched the credits roll on Normal difficulty. The campaign went on for a bit longer than I expected it to, but that's far from a bad thing. Reach in general made some nice little changes, my favourites being mostly aesthetic; the guns sounded meatier, the environments were grounded in more muted colours, and it wasn't all bright green and purple around every corner. The combat was good fun and I liked the various armour abilities, but I was always a bit miffed when I had to let go of the jetpack. :( I thought the vehicle variety was nice, especially the areas where you could drive civilian transport like forklifts and trucks; it made a nice change from those crazy made-up runabouts. :D

I must confess that I was perhaps expecting too much change from a series that is more about tweaking an already brilliant combat experience to perfection, but even so there were still some great surprises and unique moments (I especially enjoyed the extended flying sections), and generally I was quite impressed with the game. Whilst I enjoy the Halo series a heck of a lot, I don't really think that they're as groundbreaking as some people believe - and Reach didn't change my opinion - they're just extremely polished and entertaining, and I'm really glad that I've played through the series and enjoyed what they've had to offer.

As far as it's place in the series goes...I really liked 1 and 3, found 2 fun but forgettable, liked the idea of ODST's non-linear hub (and I hope that they'll revisit something like that in a future project) but didn't experience many memorable moments in that game, and Reach...well, it's not better than 1 or 3 in terms of standout moments or the thrill of The New, but it's still leagues ahead of a lot of other shooters. Whilst it's a shame that this is Bungie's last entry in the series, I've been waiting for them to move on from Halo ever since I thought that Halo 3 would be the last one, so I can't wait to find out what they'll do next...

• Upvote 1

Mission 7 down - and I think it's actually the best so far. You feel much more involved in an ongoing conflict - there's a sense of foreboding/doom that wasn't present so far, but it's still not amazing (I actually think Halo2 did a Covenant attack better and more atmospherically!)

I really agree with the journey vs episodes posts above.

The lack of AI companions really made a difference - battles could take place at my own speed, and with my own tactics. I also ended up caring about my marines more - since they actually mattered more this time.

I felt really quite detached from what was going on for some reason

I'm getting that too, and it's similar to how I felt during Gears 2. It's like the game is blundering along of its own accord, and you're just on the periphery of the action and story, looking in from the outside. Any tactical depth or planning is ruined because the game kind of plays itself. In CE you could stealth entire levels if you chose to, but that kind of freeform approach to the levels just doesn't apply in Reach. I felt more liberated and immersed in something like Sniper Elite.

Anyone who thinks this Reach close to the original probably didn't spend enough time with CE. Reach, sadly, isn't even close to being a worthy comparison.

Decent game, but not a great Halo game as far as the solo campaign goes.

• Upvote 5

I find it ridiculous that it takes so many shots really.

You do realise it's a game about spacemen?

OK, so had a few hours with this now. So yeah, its Halo alright, am liking it much more than I did ODST. But you know what? I reaaaaally miss the Chief. I just felt far more of an emotional connection with the storyline. Yeah its guff, of course it is, but I loved it. Halo 3 remains one of my favourite games of this gen, for all its faults, and I think thats mainly down to the connection I felt with the story, and with Master Chief. Also, Halo and Halo 3, (I didn't really care for Halo 2 as much) and a real sense of opera, and event which ODST and to a lesser extent Reach seems to be lacking. But hey, am only a few hours into it so will see how it goes.

Ok I give up, how the fuck do you kill hunters?

Haven't ragequit in ages (probably since ODST/Halo 3) but these guys fuck me off. Having to replay the same chunk of campaign again and again, whittling down the predictable onslaught of dropships "Oh look another dropship" before dying on the last enemy and having to repeat the whole sorry process all over again.

Halo, I want to love you, why won't you let me love you, you fuck!

I don't think this game is good for me.

I'm getting that too, and it's similar to how I felt during Gears 2. It's like the game is blundering along of its own accord, and you're just on the periphery of the action and story, looking in from the outside. Any tactical depth or planning is ruined because the game kind of plays itself. In CE you could stealth entire levels if you chose to, but that kind of freeform approach to the levels just doesn't apply in Reach. I felt more liberated and immersed in something like Sniper Elite.

Anyone who thinks this Reach close to the original probably didn't spend enough time with CE. Reach, sadly, isn't even close to being a worthy comparison.

Decent game, but not a great Halo game as far as the solo campaign goes.

That's the word I was looking for: 'detached'. Playing yesterday, it was like I wasn't really involved in it all - despite the fact Elites were blasting off my face and it was all quite hilarious in co-op. I just didn't feel much in the way of enjoying the actual combat.

I think I enjoyed ODST more. :hmm:

Is there a Sony LAW against not using the headset in single player? I'd prefer the voice chat to come over that, if I have a headset plugged in, rather than garbled over the TV all the time.

Is there a Sony LAW against not using the headset in single player? I'd prefer the voice chat to come over that, if I have a headset plugged in, rather than garbled over the TV all the time.

Huh?

Just set your preferences to voice through headset.

I haven't had much time on this yet - I've managed an hour or two on single player (playing on normal - or whatever the default difficulty is) - but it seems pretty good. Better than Halo 3 anyway

Hmmm.... I haven't finished the game yet (I think I'm about 80% done), but I don't get all the "uninvolving story" type comments here. For me, parts of it have been a little bit moving, which is more than I can say for most games, and it's been very involving throughout.

I'm not a fan of the Halo "story" normally: while the original game had a solid, if simple narrative, I thought the Halo 2 and 3 storytelling was terrible - fairly basic stuff that they somehow managed to make very hard to follow (especially in Halo 2).

Bungie really seem to have upped their game for Reach. It's not Great Literature, but so far it's good enough.

just finished it myself and I really loved it. (on heroic)

the characters are shit though and i really agree that getting urged on all the time is very annoying. I felt i rushed through large sections (which i wont let happen on my next run through). And i definitely wanted to be by myself more

i can easily put up with the above though when all of the rest was just so enjoyable

Ok I give up, how the fuck do you kill hunters?

Haven't ragequit in ages (probably since ODST/Halo 3) but these guys fuck me off. Having to replay the same chunk of campaign again and again, whittling down the predictable onslaught of dropships "Oh look another dropship" before dying on the last enemy and having to repeat the whole sorry process all over again.

Halo, I want to love you, why won't you let me love you, you fuck!

I don't think this game is good for me.

Grenades or, get in close, wait for them to charge, get behind them and shoot them in the back, 2 point blank shotgun blasts do it. Or any heavy weapons you have. Also possibly sniper rifle.