rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kryptonian

Halo: Reach

We did it in Custom - play it how you want it. Was superb.

Overpowered vehicles have always been a part of it in some gametypes - no different to coag/gulch in the earlier games.

Only matchmaking I've tried on it was team snipers and that was great too.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the map, just the gametype we played.

Actually you can double the amount of fire power on the map because those vehicles spawn at both bases.

It's far too much and ruins it.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the map, just the gametype we played.

Actually you can double the amount of fire power on the map because those vehicles spawn at both bases.

It's far too much and ruins it.

It is. It's a shame because properly setup, and with the right player count and gametype it's a joy.

And multiplayer on this is broken like a motherfucker. Can't even get into a matchmaking game.

Had a ten minute wait for a playlist to download yesterday evening (release day) but other than that it's been great since Saturday.

I wish there was a way to tweak the volume in this game.

Playing with headphones, I find the sound effects (especially the guns and shield) are mixed too low compared to the music and the voices. In order for the guns to sound beefy I need to put the volume so loud that the voices really hurt, distorted chatter especially.

My only fault with the game - it's a shame, because the sound design is amazing.

....well, the Hunters are now infuriating bastards with there one one hit one kill forward momentum melee attack. I approach them ready to do the matador dance and the cunt simply twats me in the puss.

I haven't played the game but you get a +1 for this excellent imagery. :D

....well, the Hunters are now infuriating bastards with there one one hit one kill forward momentum melee attack. I approach them ready to do the matador dance and the cunt simply twats me in the puss.

Probably my least favourite variation of them :(

I think it's a nice touch. You go to do the normal matador dance and they outwit... But only until you up your footwork! I've been having a few 'advanced' matador lessons with a Hunter, it's brilliant once you get the hang of it.

:coffee:

There are skulls - but they're all unlocked at the start to turn on, you don't have to explore/find them

Ahh, that explains it. The sites I'd found had said there were no Skulls to discover but didn't go on to say they were just there to use. Some actually suggested the hidden datapads were possibly replacing them.

My first encounter with the hunter(s) was shameful. I ran in shooting and throwing grenades, desperately dodging his lunges and green shooty thing. Eventually I ran out of ammo and was left cowering in a corner, begging for my pathetic spartan life. Just as I'd accepted my fate, a standard marine, equipped with a rocket launcher I had given him earlier came running in, a few well placed rockets later and I was saved.

Generic marine #001, you are the true spartan :(

• Upvote 8

Personally I think the Hunters are brilliant in this, finally the challenge they need to be. Very tricky on Legendary or Heroic, especially when there are a couple of them or more. But once you get the hang of their pattern, they aren't too frustrating.

Just completed the third mission (night time one with Jun) on Legendary and fuck me. Absolutely brilliant, epic, and so rewarding. This game really comes alive on the higher difficulty settings.

Getting in close seems to be as good a technique as any against the harder enemies in Reach, as long as there's only a couple. I got pinned down by a plasma-launcher Elite (Heroic) right at the end and after several attempts at picking him off I just got stuck in and it was job done. A bit hairy, but so it should be.

Same here. After about 30 mins of picking at him....then fucking dying! I thought I'll bumrush the fucker and twatted him senseless with the final blow knocking him flying over the edge and into oblivion. I was BUZZING!

Silly friendly AI aside (sorry to mention it again but it is awful) It's a great campaign.

I think it's a nice touch. You go to do the normal matador dance and they outwit... But only until you up your footwork! I've been having a few 'advanced' matador lessons with a Hunter, it's brilliant once you get the hang of it.

:coffee:

I love the new Hunters. You have to time your dance with them or its all over. They were to easy in Halo CE they gave me a bit of trouble in ODST though.

Incredible bomb game earlier against a bunch of spawn campers who spend the entire game just bombarding the two entrances to our base on Hemmorage with artillery. In the last 30 seconds a couple of our team managed to break their blockade with a Mongoose and plant the bomb. Was pretty funny watching their collective "Oh shit!" moment and watching their various tanks, warthogs and ghosts turn around and head home as fast as they could travel to no avail.

Around 650,000 online last night, obviously an amazing figure for any other game, I seem to recall MW2 being close to 2 million online first night though. Wonder how true Microsoft's bullish prediction of this handily trampling Black Ops on 360 will hold.

I do miss the feeling of certainty that was present in Halo though. In that you could tell exactly when an Elite was going to fall, and it made you come up with combos and approaches you knew would work.

In Reach it's not so easy to tell, an Elite or Brute might take all sorts of damage before you drop them. It's reminiscent of Halo 2 - one of the 'improvements' made that didn't quite work out for me.

I was really hoping to see

Halo-style Sentinels. In that mad underground standoff with the forerunner thing behind you. Loved them in the first game but I suppose story-wise they were never going to be present here.

Incredible bomb game earlier against a bunch of spawn campers who spend the entire game just bombarding the two entrances to our base on Hemmorage with artillery. In the last 30 seconds a couple of our team managed to break their blockade with a Mongoose and plant the bomb. Was pretty funny watching their collective "Oh shit!" moment and watching their various tanks, warthogs and ghosts turn around and head home as fast as they could travel to no avail.

Around 650,000 online last night, obviously an amazing figure for any other game, I seem to recall MW2 being close to 2 million online first night though. Wonder how true Microsoft's bullish prediction of this handily trampling Black Ops on 360 will hold.

I don't think it will hold. The thing is with Halo multiplayer is that everyone goes on it at first, due to the hype a little bit, but after a few months (maybe even less) i'd estimate the population halves at least, as people get bored, other releases come out, or they become disillusioned with the mechanics. I don't think it helps that it's a very competitive and hard to master game either, a lot of people with less experience get scared off. Compare to something like COD which seems more casual where you can just drop in, drop out, and there's always a wealthy selection of poor players or people not really giving a shit/paying attention, so it's never too frustrating. I suppose it's more of a 'generic' shooter in one sense too (in that it's based on real world technology/guns, etc) so it probably has a wider appeal.

By Christmas time I don't think Reach/Halo 3 will be able to hold a candle to Black Ops and the Modern Warfare games (which I presume a lot of people still play regularly). If we're just straight up comparing Reach with Black Ops it could be a different story I suppose, since a fair few people might be wary of a non-MW COD game developed by a different company.

• Upvote 2

up to chapter 8 now and firmly in the 'this is epic' camp. already looking forward to my second playthrough

• Upvote 1

You know what really bothers me about the Halo universe? The distorted radio chatter. You'd think that in about 500 years the technology would have advanced enough to be able to communicate in crystal clarity.

• Upvote 2

Same here, at the exact same spot, with and without sprint - and the fall would have definitely killed me because I also missed plenty of times.

Just went back on xbox, did it on third attempt. Thought it would never pop. The animation was the knife one btw.

You know what really bothers me about the Halo universe? The distorted radio chatter. You'd think that in about 500 years the technology would have advanced enough to be able to communicate in crystal clarity.

Everyone uses Xbox Live headsets in the future, clearly.

That's interesting, thanks. (+1)

Is it right to conclude from watching that, that when taking down someone's shields, headshots mean nothing, with any gun? It's only once they're down that headshots count?

Another question, how does that work with the Shotgun, is the maximum range for a 1 hit kill the same if you aim at either the body or head? (I notice in the video he's aiming at the neck sort of).

Is it right to conclude from watching that, that when taking down someone's shields, headshots mean nothing, with any gun? It's only once they're down that headshots count?

Another question, how does that work with the Shotgun, is the maximum range for a 1 hit kill the same if you aim at either the body or head? (I notice in the video he's aiming at the neck sort of).

Shields go down faster if theyre shot in the head I find, and of course you can just shoot once more once they are down to instakill them.

For the Shotgun body shots work best I think due to the spread of the shot, you want it all to hit them.

• Upvote 1

This. The audio quality is so poor I can't understand what Kat and Forge are saying half the time, although the dodgy accents dont help.

Apart from that, its a fantastic SP game. 9/10 which is what I'd give all the other Halo games (except CE which I would give 10)

• Upvote 1

First part: yes, the shield will deplete the same whether you hit them in the feet, bollocks, chest, head. This goes for absolutely all weapons, though you can ignore the sniper rifle and shotgun cos they're different.

Second part: not quite. Once the shields are down, that's when the target is vulnerable to head-shots. But it's only the DMR, Needle Rifle and Magnum (and sniper, obv.) that will insta-kill to the head. The assault rifle, plasma repeater, needler, focus rifle, brute spiker, shotgun etc. etc. all do the same damage to an unshielded enemy no matter where you aim.

The shotgun has spread, so you basically just want to get as much of it on target as possible. As long as you've got most of it in the reticule and you're within a reasonable range, you should get the kill.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it will hold. The thing is with Halo multiplayer is that everyone goes on it at first, due to the hype a little bit, but after a few months (maybe even less) i'd estimate the population halves at least, as people get bored, other releases come out, or they become disillusioned with the mechanics. I don't think it helps that it's a very competitive and hard to master game either, a lot of people with less experience get scared off. Compare to something like COD which seems more casual where you can just drop in, drop out, and there's always a wealthy selection of poor players or people not really giving a shit/paying attention, so it's never too frustrating. I suppose it's more of a 'generic' shooter in one sense too (in that it's based on real world technology/guns, etc) so it probably has a wider appeal.

By Christmas time I don't think Reach/Halo 3 will be able to hold a candle to Black Ops and the Modern Warfare games (which I presume a lot of people still play regularly). If we're just straight up comparing Reach with Black Ops it could be a different story I suppose, since a fair few people might be wary of a non-MW COD game developed by a different company.

It really has turned around in the last few years. I haven't had a 360 for ages, and last time I played, Halo was the Biggest Game Ever online, the game that that saved the Xbox, and basically killed all the other games off whenever a new instalment came out. I'm actually quite surprised to hear that MW is so popular (I haven't played it, so I'm not saying it's no good, just that I'm surprised any game has overtaken Halo).

The humans of 500 years hence can do clear radio chatter if they want, but they found it more user-friendly to deliberately overlay that effect, as it lets you know when it's someone on the radio or someone nearby talking to you. Either that, or everyone chooses that effect on their voice (they have a selection of voice filters, a bit like on the original Live, but that's the only one that's popular).