rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kryptonian

Halo: Reach

I just thought "Oh cool it's Ivory Tower, heh."

I wish I hadn't played that map in multiplayer before the mission, then my reaction would probably have been the same :facepalm:

They have aged quite well, not surprising considering the original Xbox is more powerful than the Wii, and we're still playing on that.

Anyway, so after stupidly deciding I'm so fucking hard I'll start the game on Legendary I've decided the elites are way too overpowered on this level. The first couple of levels are brilliant fun (the old plasma pistol trick working wonders) but right now on the sniper mission with elites seemingly taking three shots to take down minimum, and how are you ever going to get that in without them sneeking off to recharge? It feels like unless I'm camoflaging my way about to surprise the enemy with a sticky grenade or two (amazing feeling) there's basically nothing I can do about elites. It's as if they realised throwing in invincible squad mates breaks the game, so to balance that they decided to break elites as well by ridiculously overpowering their shiled. To illustrate I'm writing this post with my character crouched down below the water's surface waiting for my team mate to clear up the drop ships around the militia base. Back down to heroic after this methinks.

I think on legendary on Halo 1 they were just about "smart" enough with the tools they had to be perfectly balanced at the time (they're a bit easy now for us halo vets though). Thing is on Reach they're now a bit more sly and evasive (I had this one moment on the second level where an elite would approach me differently everytime I died on the same checkpoint, if I was fighting a grunt one way, he would sneak up behind, if i ran to where he would come from, he'd use the other door and still try and flank me- if i used armour lock, the fucker would wait JUST as my lock was about to end and sticky me :lol:).

Also some of the covenant weapons are now fucking deadly, elites hooked up with fuel rods, the other thing that shoots large blue explosive things, dual weilding plasma rifles and swords seeing as they're quicker and a bit harder to take down- they can seriously present a challenge. And a sticky doesn't lead to an instant kill on them either! A sticky should kill ANYTHING on foot that isn't a hunter if you land it right. So yeah there is no doubt they're a fair bit tougher than CE elites.

There are ways around them though. The DMR has been my best friend against them on legendary so far, even when I don't have a plasma pistol handy to soften them up. For some reason at the right distance where you have a clear shot but not engaging them directly, you can lock them in with headshots, they tend to move around less if you spam their heads with bullets and then the shield pops and they're easy to finish off.

• Upvote 1

Regarding sticky kills:

Too fucking right. Also being able to take two hit's from a Brute Hammer, takes the utter piss.

Weird as they are easily the busiest and most 'cluttered' levels in the entire series in my opinion.

In a good way.

In 2 and 3, there was lots of crap strewn around that I was always getting stuck on, either when back-pedalling or strafing. This isn't happening in Reach, for some reason, even though there's a lot of stuff in each level. Also, it's a lot easier to see what's going on - I found the clutter in 3 made for unclear visuals (i.e. it often wasn't clear what was going on) when I played it again recently.

I wish I hadn't played that map in multiplayer before the mission, then my reaction would probably have been the same :facepalm:

Ha, to be fair they have made it look gorgeous now so I didn't mind seeing it used- it's a lovely space visually so was happy to see it in both regards.

Ha, to be fair they have made it look gorgeous now so I didn't mind seeing it used- it's a lovely space visually so was happy to see it in both regards.

It is pretty cool, was always one of my favourite Halo 2 maps too. Just a shame nobody ever picks it on matchmaking.

I think on legendary on Halo 1 they were just about "smart" enough with the tools they had to be perfectly balanced. Thing is on Reach they're now a bit more sly and evasive (I had this one moment on the second level where an elite would approach me differently everytime I died on the same checkpoint, if I was fighting a grunt one way, he would sneak up behind, if i ran to where he would come from, he'd use the other door and still try and flank me- if i used armour lock, the fucker would wait JUST as my lock was about to end and sticky me :lol:).

Also some of the covenant weapons are now fucking deadly, elites hooked up with fuel rods, the other thing that shoots large blue explosive things, dual weilding plasma rifles and swords seeing as they're quicker and a bit harder to take down- they can seriously present a challenge. And a sticky doesn't lead to an instant kill on them either! A sticky should kill ANYTHING on foot that isn't a hunter if you land it right. So yeah there is no doubt they're a fair bit tougher than CE elites.

There are ways around them though. The DMR has been my best friend against them on legendary so far, even when I don't have a plasma pistol handy to soften them up. For some reason at the right distance where you have a clear shot but not engaging them directly, you can lock them in with headshots, they tend to move around less if you spam their heads with bullets and then the shield pops and they're easy to finish off.

I'm too early into the game to say for sure but I think their reactions are a lot faster... or maybe it's simply their movement speed when leeping out the way, but specifically with the sniper rifle I definitley never had trouble taking down elites like this before. Even with an AI squad mate helping me out. I mean when you simply sneek up on one with a couple of sniper shots only to see them dart out the way before you have the chance to finish them off, it's not better AI that's saving their skin.

You're definitley right, though, in other parts of the game the AI especially in regards to flanking has been greatly improved. Whereas in previous games it felt like you could much more take it for granted the elites would always stay in roughly the same area, so if you wanted to you could just back off from the action a bit for a breather, or easily flank them yourself if an area was open. This time you can't take anything for granted, and it definitley adds to the tension in a really good way.

The DMR's been my best friend all game so far. I'll have to see if I possess the skills necessary to repeat your headshots trick with it, ta.

Yeah the teammates are a significant downer in this, you're constantly being nagged or having your progress compromised by them. There's none of those lovely feelings of isolation where you're wandering round exploring like in CE, because there's always someone urging you to press on with the mission or fucking up your cover for you.

Kat really got on my nerves in the first couple of levels (all I've done so far), i don't like that person. There seems to be loads to explore and I'm assuming there are easter eggs to find but you keep getting hounded to move on. I really hope i get a few levels on my own

I've a few other minor niggles like the dense friendly a.i. and the laser like assault the covenant can impose on you, even when you barely pop your head out after a lengthy flank behind cover and they're under fire from your team mates.

over all though I'm liking it, if a little underwhelmed. early days though.

Played a good bit of MP but think I'll pound out the SP before getting stuck into it again. very good it is, though. (the banshee is a beast)

I may have just recommended a film in my file share to all 80-odd people on my friends list. At least, that's what the text suggested, seems a bit intrusive if it automatically pesters everyone you know. So if you were one of them, just ignore. I was only doing the achievement.

Anyway! Completed it now, solo on Heroic. Very good game. Gonna play it again on Legendary before properly judging it though, because as fun as the encounters were, they were a tad too easy for the most part.

Haven't even touched the rest though, I'm gonna be caning this pretty hard for the foreseeable future.

New engine my cock.

Pretty much what I've been wondering - what the fuck is going on with that framerate?!

I'm not bitching because it's not 60FPS!!!111, but I need something relatively stable for an FPS, as soon as a battle kicks off it's just all over the shop.

Oh well.

Oh, and it's totally not in HD. You can tell instantly by the slightly muddied text, and the fact it looks like a slightly dolled-up Halo 3. New engine my cock.

What's the deal with all the retarded versions of Halo 2 and 3 maps, too? They look like AIDS, and the respawn points are hilarious.

Meh wins the thread! 1+'s for him all round :)

Am I honestly missing something in regards to the retreads of old maps? Do they suddenly develop their missing pieces with more players present?

I may have just recommended a film in my file share to all 80-odd people on my friends list. At least, that's what the text suggested, seems a bit intrusive if it automatically pesters everyone you know. So if you were one of them, just ignore. I was only doing the achievement.

Anyway! Completed it now, solo on Heroic. Very good game. Gonna play it again on Legendary before properly judging it though, because as fun as the encounters were, they were a tad too easy for the most part.

Haven't even touched the rest though, I'm gonna be caning this pretty hard for the foreseeable future.

Agree with everything here. Having just started again on Legendary and done one level it seems about right, it was the kind of difficulty I was hoping for on Heroic, ie not ridiculous and frustrating, but a very good challenge. You really have to make good use out of the available resources, and not do anything stupid if you're up against a few elites, which is how it should be. On the first mission I found myself kind of 'checkpoint trapped', near the end when you have to clear the landing zone for the hornet and there's a little gully with loads of elites and grunts pouring out of a dropship, I got given a checkpoint with nothing but the assault rifle with very little ammo, and the plasma shock absorber, or whatever it's called. It was pretty much impossible to take anything down with those two weapons, not with the remaining ammo I had. Was scratching my head for a few restarts, then figured out, I could use the truck parked outside the guy's little house at the back and use it to run over the elites :) This kind of thing is the best part of Halo for me, thinking outside of the box how to tackle a tricky situation. Reach seems to positively encourage it to, what with all the multiple routes and branching high/low platforms etc.

Also I tried to recommend a file (mainly for the achievement) and like you said, it seems now all you can do is recommend it to your entire friends list :facepalm:

I don't think it's intrusive or any kind of message, I think it just appears in the theatre when you click into 'recommended'.

Speaking of the theatre, good that you can rewind campaign vids now by pressing left on the d-pad!

What pieces are missing?

It seems the banshee isn't there anymore on that... map with great sniping points - and didn't the middle rotate?

Presumably they took the banshee out because it was always a fucking stupid addition to that map and ridiculously unbalanced, and the middle not moving, probably something to do with the fact it's a forged map? I never bothered with forge but presumably you can't add moving/dynamic parts to maps like that.

The lack of banshee might just be the playlist settings, although I'm pretty sure they removed it from the original Halo 2 map not long after launch.

The middle doesn't rotate because it's been remade in forge and you can't do that sort of thing forge mode. Not that it matters.

Wait - so are all the MP levels made in forge, or are there... pretty ones, too? :(

The lack of banshee might just be the playlist settings, although I'm pretty sure they removed it from the original Halo 2 map not long after launch.

The middle doesn't rotate because it's been remade in forge and you can't do that sort of thing forge mode. Not that it matters.

Naah - the Banshee was in there for ages. It was pretty funny when you were playing a horrible team and got to just mow them down.

I was curious, so I just watched it. What the hell? :lol:

Asylum, Pinnacle, The Cage, Paradiso and Haemorrage are forge maps. I don't really care what they look like as long as they play well, which they all seem to. Asylum (Sanctuary from Halo 2) and The Cage are especially good.

I was curious, so I just watched it. What the hell? :lol:

They were lined up so perfectly I just couldn't resist, and then they made a funny noise when they died. So I decided to try out the new Theatre options. (Incidentally, if you kill the other two as well, Jun snipes you in the face, which amused me.)

I'll tell you what just occurred to me, I can't think of any other game with such longevity. I'm sat here thinking what to play tomorrow. Genuinely can't work out whether I'd most like to play MP, Firefight, or another run through on Campaign.

Oh and I just remembered, but on my first run through (ie. the whole of today) I wasn't able to do a single assassination move. Tried it loads of times on loads of different types of enemies and it just wouldn't work. So once I'd done the campaign, I loaded up another level and did one first go. Weird.

They were lined up so perfectly I just couldn't resist, and then they made a funny noise when they died. So I decided to try out the new Theatre options. (Incidentally, if you kill the other two as well, Jun snipes you in the face, which amused me.)

I'll tell you what just occurred to me, I can't think of any other game with such longevity. I'm sat here thinking what to play tomorrow. Genuinely can't work out whether I'd most like to play MP, Firefight, or another run through on Campaign.

Oh and I just remembered, but on my first run through (ie. the whole of today) I wasn't able to do a single assassination move. Tried it loads of times on loads of different types of enemies and it just wouldn't work. So once I'd done the campaign, I loaded up another level and did one first go. Weird.

I managed a few on Elites as they're often distracted with trying to kill your other squad members. Got a couple on Jackals at some points. Tried on a few occasions to do it to a Grunt but never managed it, but supposedly it's possible...

I managed a few on Elites as they're often distracted with trying to kill your other squad members. Got a couple on Jackals at some points. Tried on a few occasions to do it to a Grunt but never managed it, but supposedly it's possible...

It's not that I couldn't get into the right position, it's that the game wouldn't let me do it. A bug. And I dunno if it's related, but I haven't unlocked the achievement for assassinating someone, assuming that it can be obtained in campaign, that is.

I agree with Meh about the engine. I don't know how anyone couldn't. It's not particularly bad or anything, but clearly not much of a step up from 3 graphically, and unfortunatly quite a big step step down for the frame rate.

So later on the same mission another example of how unbalanced elites are on legendary... the fact that in a fairly wide open area it gives you at one point a covenant drop of plasma rifles with which to take down a troop of elites with accompanying grunts and jackals in toe plus sentry guns, and just how utterly useless they prove for this particular scenario. There's simply no way of getting close enough to anything for them to be effective without getting absolutely torn apart. They may work on Heroic and lower, but so far the whole mission has played as if the fact that some people might fancy having a go at it on Legendary simply didn't occur to them at all. Seriously, did the designers chiefly responsible for Halo's balance simply leave after CE? Because every game since then has played to varying degrees like Bungie don't in fact understand what made that game's campaign such a masterpiece.

• Upvote 1

Sith and I got standby-ed on our 1st game of double team. Reminded me of Halo 2 :lol:

I was about to melee some guy in the back and when it came back he then killed Sith because he'd moved, then I killed him. I found it rather amusing than annoying, seems daft to cheat then die anyways.

Anyone had any trouble getting the "If they came to hear me beg" achievement to unlock? I've done it three or four times now but no Gs.

Which ones that? Kill the fleeing Elite? Worked fine for me. I did do it on heroic though, and easy doesnt give any achievements.