Brink

marlonharewood

Nice one. I'll be online in a mo to get the code and, finally, be able to get confirmation that I am the number one player in the whole wide world (i.e. out of twenty-five of us)

Actually the community is at 61 years of playtime, and the game hasn't been out for a month yet. Thats not bad methinks. People who love it really love it.

Ive done 25 hours of playtime so far.

So, for anyone still lurking and hoping things have improved (i.e me) has the patch improved the game enough to warrant buying it yet?

Yes. There are still laggy games, but definitely to the extent there were before. Also If you get into a laggy game 8/10 times if you wait a few seconds it will smooth out.

I am enjoying this game a lot. But I do find it difficult to choose a weapon, I usually play medium body type as Medic or Engineer, any good weapon suggestions? I just tried the shotgun and it seemed a little underpowered, do you need to be really close for it to have effect?

Also anyone playing on steam add me: james_ape

Been playinga round with a few different weapons, I am still struggling. Even when I get the jump on someone it seems that I can empty a magazine into them without them dying and then have them turn around and kill me really quickly.

From Brink's website:

By the Power of Netvars – Brink Gets Balance Tweaks

In addition to our on-going game updates for Brink, we’ve also been working on a bundle of balance tweaks based on the feedback we’ve had now that the game is out in the wild.

These tweaks are coming to all three versions of Brink and are being rolled out via our netvars. If netvars sound entirely foreign for you, they’re part of a system we developed for Brink to allow us to tweak various aspects of the game without requiring you to download a full game update.

Let’s have a look at what we’ve got in store, shall we?

Objectives

Hackboxes are getting a significant tweak across the board to help out attacking teams. We have drastically increased the time it takes Engineers to “de-hack”, making it easier for the attackers to actually get the hack done.

In addition to the Hackbox change, we’ve got several other objective tweaks coming, as well. For starters, we’re doubling the XP received for completing Primary Objectives in the game, so if you tackle one of them, your reward will be much greater from now on.

In addition, we’ve made the following map-specific adjustments:

Aquarium: Elevator generator construction time decreased

Container City: Robot health increased

Reactor: Terminal hack time slightly increased to balance new hacking mechanic

Resort: Gate hack time slightly increased to balance new hacking mechanic

Security Tower: Passcode return time increased

Security Tower: Passcode transmit time decreased

Abilities

Somewhat unsurprisingly, we’ve also been unable to keep our hands off Brink’s player abilities. There’s a single tweak coming your way here, with the Medic’s Adrenaline ability now having a shorter duration, which’ll make timing the ability right even more important.

When Will I Get These?

These changes are already live in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Brink. If you’re on the PC, you’ll be getting the entire batch of balance changes alongside the next game update.

I started off playing a medium body type but I decided to give light a go and never went back. The added mobility really really makes up for your lower health. I suppose it all depends on your play style and which weapons you use though.

It's great for smg's and pistols.

I started off using the kross but changed to the carb-9, it has more kick but the extra power makes up for it.

The ritchie/ceaser is the best pistol I reckon. With the red dot sight you can pretty much use it as a sniper rifle from a distance and with the "fire when downed" perk, with the high fire rate you can take out at least the guy who killed you and often a few more before you get healed or respawn.

The fire when downed perk is brilliant, always surprises me how many people will just leave you there to wipe out half their team until your ammo runs out :D

With the smg, you can pretty much shoot from the hip and strafe about most of the time. Just looking down the sights for that little extra accuracy when coming round corners and shooting things from a distance.

I find the adjusted iron sights the best for the smgs but the red dot works well on the pistols.

Will be interested in hearing what weapons other people use as I haven't really done too much experimenting.

I did a little experimentation with bullet spread while the rest of the team were tormenting the Security on Container City by (almost spawn camping). Standing at a command post I selected each weapon and fired at a wall in long bursts of fire. Ended up settling for the Euston AR as my primary weapon for a good balance of damage vs accuracy and have stuck with it for 90% of the games I've had. Reading the Brink forum though, there is a lot of favoritism towards either the Kross vs Carb. For my Secondary weapon I stuck religiously with my Sea Eagle pistol. It's very hard hitting and also becomes effectively a sniper rifle when you put an Acog scope on it. Then I tried out a Balpdaun SMG and I was hooked. A very accurate gun even with long bursts of fire. It's a great back-up gun to my AR and I even find myself using as a primary weapon of choice. As for scopes, I've tried them all out and apart from the sniper rifle I just stick to using the iron sights for the SMG and the red dot scope for the AR.

Oh and I LOVE the Downed Fire perk. I have successfully defended objectives just lying there on the ground and the enormous feeling of satisfaction when you kill your 'killer' who comes trotting up to stomp on you is worth the points spent on it :D

I am enjoying this game a lot. But I do find it difficult to choose a weapon, I usually play medium body type as Medic or Engineer, any good weapon suggestions? I just tried the shotgun and it seemed a little underpowered, do you need to be really close for it to have effect?

Yes, the shotgun is only really effective up close and I'm pleased about it (I hated those fast running shotgunners in MW2). Playing as a Heavy allows you to use a VERY powerful shotgun but I prefer playing as a Medium.

Been playinga round with a few different weapons, I am still struggling. Even when I get the jump on someone it seems that I can empty a magazine into them without them dying and then have them turn around and kill me really quickly.

Have you at least 2-star'red each of the 'tutorials'? Doing this will unlock all the attachments for the guns, some of which are essential for accuracy and damage improvement. The only other thing I can suggest is ensure that you're doing quick short controlled bursts of fire rather than holding the trigger in (VERY tempting to do when panicking). It really does make a difference. Oh and try to aim for the head for quicker kills.

I had two starred all but the "be more objective" one which i just cleared. That mission was impossible with my level 16 character (my team AI were terrible) so i made a new one character and cleared it easily)

I just played for a couple of hours, but i am still struggling. I seem to be getting killed by Carbs a lot in 1 on 1 fights, even when I have the jump (at least I think they are Carbs, it'd be great if it showed more than just a tiny icon, and perhaps showed what attachments/buffs your killer had). I'm playing on Japanese servers where everyone seems to have good connections. Maybe I am just crap at it but it's ruining my enjoyment of the game now. I think i'll take a break from it and see how it feels after a week or so.

are you playing on 360. I wouldn't mind having a session over the weekend to get you into the feel of things. Let's us know I'm sure we could have some fun matches. Did you follow karzees tips? I pretty much use the same equipment as him and I don't have those problems with people killing me faster even when I shoot first as much anymore. Also its about teamwork ifyou find that that's happening to you to much pick a buddy and til wig that person. Together you can take down lone wolf's

Cool news for Brink.

Top 10 best-selling games (US) for May 2011:

L.A. Noire (360, PS3)

Brink (360, PS3, PC)

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)

Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC)

Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360)

Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC)

Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3)

NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC)

Just Dance 2 (Wii)

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)

The marketing, at least in New York, was super aggressive. I'm not surprised. Well here's hope to a bigger better sequel.

are you playing on 360. I wouldn't mind having a session over the weekend to get you into the feel of things. Let's us know I'm sure we could have some fun matches. Did you follow karzees tips? I pretty much use the same equipment as him and I don't have those problems with people killing me faster even when I shoot first as much anymore. Also its about teamwork ifyou find that that's happening to you to much pick a buddy and til wig that person. Together you can take down lone wolf's

I am playing the PC version. It's not as if I don't like the game, I have put 25 hours into it already. I do find the shooting a little unsatisfying, which is unfortunate, but I really enjoy the team based gameplay, especially with the sense of progression throughout the level like in Bad Company 2's Rush or Killzone 3's Operations mode. Actually Operations is probably the closest example to this I can think of, but that has a much bigger emphasis on the combat. I know a lot of reviewers compared it with TF2 but that's a game I could never get into.

I have gone back to it already, it didn't bother me so much this time - except for perhaps the mounted machine gun, the spread is ridiculous to the point where it doesn't even feel like you are firing the thing and it's a roll of the dice as to whether you'll actually hit something.

I am playing the PC version. It's not as if I don't like the game, I have put 25 hours into it already. I do find the shooting a little unsatisfying, which is unfortunate, but I really enjoy the team based gameplay, especially with the sense of progression throughout the level like in Bad Company 2's Rush or Killzone 3's Operations mode. Actually Operations is probably the closest example to this I can think of, but that has a much bigger emphasis on the combat. I know a lot of reviewers compared it with TF2 but that's a game I could never get into.

I have gone back to it already, it didn't bother me so much this time - except for perhaps the mounted machine gun, the spread is ridiculous to the point where it doesn't even feel like you are firing the thing and it's a roll of the dice as to whether you'll actually hit something.

From the 6 hours or so I've spent in it, pumping the trigger rather than holding it down will down an enemy so much faster. If you're panicking and holding the trigger down, you just miss - even if the crosshairs on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Eurogamer:

The free Brink downloadable content Agents of Change will launch in early July, Bethesda has announced.

It had been due out this month.

Agents of Change, which includes two new environments, five new player abilities, two new outfits and two new weapon attachments, will be free for two weeks on the PlayStation Network, Steam and Xbox Live. It is currently in submission at Microsoft and Sony.

Also in the works is a "major" title update, set to bring online optimization, AI enhancements and weapon balance tweaks based on player feedback.

This will launch for PS3 and Xbox 360 alongside Agents of Change. A separate, incremental update is now available on PC.

This is around £24 in Gamestation and in HMV IIRC - I saw it the other day and may be picking it up soon.

Thats new, too not used - as in HMV that would cost you a quid more :rolleyes:

Edit: Its £17.86 at Shopto, apparently ;)

What kind of state is the game in now on the 360? I got it at launch, rinsed it for achievements and got rid of it because online was buggy as hell. Have they sorted most of the issues yet because it could be a fantastic game if they have.

Better but still not quite there. I've kept mine because it's such a great game when it does work but I'll be very interested to see what the update does to "bring online optimization". I'll let people know once it's available and I've tested it out.

They forgot this

We’re back with new details on Brink DLC and the upcoming title updates for the game.

The game’s first DLC, Agents of Change, will be FREE for two weeks on Xbox LIVE, PSN, and Steam! The content is currently in submission at Microsoft and Sony, and we expect it to release in early July. As previously mentioned, the DLC features two all-new environments, five new player abilities, two new outfits, and two new weapon attachments. You can find more details in our previous post, and be sure to check out the screenshots above.

In tandem with the DLC, the teams at Splash Damage and Bethesda have been hard at work on the next major title update for Brink. The update is highlighted by online optimizations, AI enhancements, and weapon balance tweaks based on player feedback. A separate, incremental update is now available on PC, while players of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version of Brink can expect the full title update alongside the release of Agents of Change.

On behalf of everyone at Bethesda and Splash Damage, I want to thank all of you for your continued support of Brink. We’ll be sharing more information as soon as possible.

I'm trying to play this now and every time I play (mostly on Container City level) the game will crash every time, citing a FATAL ERROR: AllocRenderModel called from a different thread for 'particles/env/kickup_mud'

Anyone encountered this error and know how to fix it? Googling turns up nothing.

Finally got this from Lovefilm a few days ago and have to say I'm really enjoying it. I've played through a few challenges, free play and campaign and haven't had any laggy games as yet. I do enjoy the objective based gameplay much more than everyman for himself. Probably played about 3-4 hours so far :D

Is anyone still playing this on 360? Have they fixed the lag and other problems yet? I'm tempted to pick it up now it's cheap, but I won't bother unless they've sorted out the problems.

I bought it the other week and still play it fairly regulary.

I don't know how bad it was before but apart from a slight bit of lag at the start of 1 or 2 matches it seems fine!