Brink

marlonharewood

This is really growing on me. I got into a quality game that was pretty much lag free with literally no bots. The teamwork my team displayed was rather epic. Very enjoyable.

To be fair I've had one severely laggy game and one where the sound was fucked. Beyond that it's been pretty smooth. I struggled with the controls but turning the horizontal and vertical settings down sorted that.

is that why you never accepted the invite i sent? :eyebrows:

I struggled to find a non laggy game but was happy to play co-op with fatboys crew. It was a lot of fun, proper teamwork!

Haha, I was still creating my character when you sent me an invite!

Wooo, I've unlocked turrets. I'll barely get to play Brink the rest of the weekend but I'll definitely give turrets a go ASAP.

As soon as I popped the disc in on pc it patched, all of the horror stories where nowhere to be found, lag free, no glitches or stuttering.

The core game of this is solid and fun, it doesn't have that instant cod factor, so newcomers to this genre would be freaked out if they just jumped in, but it does feel very rewarding when this clicks and you play by the rules and understand the mechanic. The presentation really teaches you and I can totally see what they are doing with sp and mp making it one. Going through the challenges in sp is superb and completely prepares you when you take on a human team, this can also be done with friends or online too.

I Have only played 3 maps so far and I guess like the club before it, its all about learning them off by heart, understanding choke points and having a full team of classes. The Parkour element is there but not as big or as extreme as it originally made out, but you do find yourself sliding and vaulting instinctively after a while. Still havent unlocked any scopes or attachments and I hardly use iron sights as you are moving that much.

In 2011 we have been stung badly by shoddy unfinished games with couldnt care less support, and at the back of my mind I wasnt prepared to bankroll another. But I am really glad I did, and any company that responds instantaneously to problems and bugs and supports their fanbase deserves a chance.

I mean its 6 am and I am playing it, I can't vouch for the console versions but I agree with mr woo its been picked on, problem is cod in all its guises does everything so well and people either wont give this a chance or or would sooner spend there cash and precious gaming time on what they know rather than learn a whole new mechanic and you can't argue with that.

post-3501-080865700 1305357033_thumb.jpg

if you like the repetition of games like counter strike with specific objectives over and over this is for you. Holding down choke points with the constant of attack or defend is the core.

I havent had any lag, or disconnects on the pc version and if the console versions are doing this its totally and utterly valid to have a right old grumble and to wait until its stable before you buy, that is if you want to give it a chance.

But I believe if people had actually read the manual, watched the tutorials rather than jumping straight in this wouldnt have received alot of the criticisms. The real flashy Parkour stuff we have all seen only becomes available when you reach a specific level and unlock the light class,offering double wall jumps and the ability to reach much higher and unreachable objects. Clearly alot of people reviewers included have stuck this on and already rejected it straight away based on the perception you could leap and bound over everything from the off.

I do believe there is a version of the game they wanted to make here, if you are seriously looking for a new fps and are willing to embrace something new( based on the team class formula) with open arms and take the good with the bad then its worth a go for sure I for one have been pleasantly surprised and am really enjoying it, but if you are totally and utterly committed to COD/BF then you have your answer.

Thanks for the impressions Dave, I might download the err, 'demo', and try it for an hour to see if it's worth splashing on. Shame there isn't a proper demo to be honest, it really needs one and I'm being given no other choice besides 'immorally try before I buy whilst feeling guilty' and 'definitely don't buy it'.

I've picked up a copy (360) so if people want to try it out with me tonight then I'm definitely up for that. Will spend a few hours doing challenges beforehand as recommended, to get to grips with everything.

Single player is capped to 30fps because that's the default for listen servers in id's engine. There's a workaround on the Steam forums somewhere but it's an effort and should really be fixed soon..I hope. It's feels super sluggish at 30 and put me off quite a lot. Had a few good online matches today without any lag though, need to play with some friends with mics for maximum fun I think!

And I apologise in advance to anyone who finds my method of 'demoing' distasteful, believe me I do too.

It's natural to feel a little dirty about that, but if you buy games after trying them or delete them without playing them into the ground there's little to feel sorry about. It's not something I do (as I said, you feel kinda dirty doing it even without the threat of malware), but as a test to see how the performance of a game is on your machine - well, if you're not going to buy it without knowing, and you very well might buy once you do, it should be a no-brainer even from the company's point of view.

For instance, the Witcher 2 - I'm not buying it until I know if it runs well on my machine. There's no demo, no benchmark - the only way I could find out is to 'demo' it. And I'm not going to, which leaves me Witcherless and the developers a sale worse off. Could 'demoing' it really be all that immoral in that regard so long as you don't decide to keep the very, very long demo? I don't think so.

thing with this is it's not really something you could get a decent impression of over an hour or so or a demo.

It starts to unveil itself after getting to grips with the mechanic, I can see why it was hard done by for this reason. Of course you can't forgive something thats totally broken but at least its getting fixed and sharpish pc is, with consoles to follow by the sound of it.

Playing any new game thats unfamiliar is weird enough and at first this is very complex to the newcomer and especially the seasoned COD player, pair that with crappy lag, and stuttering bugs and people would give this down the banks and feel very robbed indeed. The 8 map objective thing is repetitious but I like that personally.

Played alot of very crowded games with 16 players, butr I reckon 4 vs 4 would be really where its at.

It's 5.20 and I am still playing the thing, oh yeah I have the 360 version now . ;)

With the PC version Dave how are you finding the bots, especially the friendly bots, when messing around in the challenges, single player etc ? Are they much improved now ? They were useless bastards before so I am wondering if the PC patch out last night which tweaked AI etc made a big difference.

I haven't had a chance to get on the 360 at all today, and won't do so until around 8pm so I'll be up for some games should any 360 folk here want to play. (and if it works!)

Also, on PC, when it's working well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A57GwaSf_bc

Really want to enjoy this, and I had fun for the first few minutes doing some challenges, and then got thrown into a game with lag like I've never even seen before, no big deal I thought, so I quit and joined another, same thing, and another....I thought they fixed this with a patch? (360)

So last night, Myself, Karzee, Fattakin, Pymp Rex, Al Benicio, and a few other Rllmukers had a pretty good marathon of this last night. The verdict for me is I think its pretty good. I'm glad I finally decided to break it out of the plastic.

This game definitely needs to be played with humans, as the rival AI is AMAZING at this game. All night the strategies being employed by the enemy AI were admittedly better than any of ours. They placed mines on top of objectives, and fallen comrades, they properly flanked us SEVERAL times, and their accuracy was amazing. Aside from the accuracy thing the enemy AI never felt so "cheap" (at least to me). There were times where we died, and retried the map only to find alternate routes and were forced to better utilize our abilities. It was great when things fell into place. As a whole we had way more great sessions than "bad ones". For many of us the lag was negligible, which is strange because im a Yank and I thought I would bring the whole party down (no jokes please :unsure:) connections wise, but we were fine for the most part. I think the "lobby system" or lack thereof was more of a problem. I REALLY hope they can whip a lobby system together in the future. You need a neutral state in that game, which is funny because the main menu is so suited for it. Imagine if you made a party and you see all your guys standing next to each other on that white background, and you can edit whatever until the host is ready to start up a session. Baffles me they didn't figure this out. Only other problem is that I wish the friendly AI was as proficient as the enemy AI. This is were I see ALOT frustration coming in. There were so many times where the Friendly AI's main focus was self preservation. Also sometimes they just dont know when to focus on the main objective, for example with a minute on the clock the AI did not stop capturing command posts to focus on the main objective.

So Brink's rough, very rough but there is a lot of good. The game is not easy and a lot of the design decisions will scare people off for good reason. It's not COD. Most times when we failed a mission was because we didn't know what we were doing (the game doesn't really give good feedback, even though the AI is always screaming in your ear!) or people were running off killing enemies...

So we will see how long Brink lasts. Im willing to stick with it for a while as I don't really have another online shooter thats grabbed me in sometime.

Well it's not on the UK Steam store, went to buy it on impulse a second age and apparently there's some "key" issues with UK version. Not going to bother now, at least I can wait to see if it takes off and gets patched etc...

So last night, Myself, Karzee, Fattakin, Pymp Rex, Al Benicio, and a few other Rllmukers had a pretty good marathon of this last night. The verdict for me is I think its pretty good. I'm glad I finally decided to break it out of the plastic.

This game definitely needs to be played with humans, as the rival AI is AMAZING at this game. All night the strategies being employed by the enemy AI were admittedly better than any of ours. They placed mines on top of objectives, and fallen comrades, they properly flanked us SEVERAL times, and their accuracy was amazing. Aside from the accuracy thing the enemy AI never felt so "cheap" (at least to me). There were times where we died, and retried the map only to find alternate routes and were forced to better utilize our abilities. It was great when things fell into place. As a whole we had way more great sessions than "bad ones". For many of us the lag was negligible, which is strange because im a Yank and I thought I would bring the whole party down (no jokes please :unsure:) connections wise, but we were fine for the most part. I think the "lobby system" or lack thereof was more of a problem. I REALLY hope they can whip a lobby system together in the future. You need a neutral state in that game, which is funny because the main menu is so suited for it. Imagine if you made a party and you see all your guys standing next to each other on that white background, and you can edit whatever until the host is ready to start up a session. Baffles me they didn't figure this out. Only other problem is that I wish the friendly AI was as proficient as the enemy AI. This is were I see ALOT frustration coming in. There were so many times where the Friendly AI's main focus was self preservation. Also sometimes they just dont know when to focus on the main objective, for example with a minute on the clock the AI did not stop capturing command posts to focus on the main objective.

So Brink's rough, very rough but there is a lot of good. The game is not easy and a lot of the design decisions will scare people off for good reason. It's not COD. Most times when we failed a mission was because we didn't know what we were doing (the game doesn't really give good feedback, even though the AI is always screaming in your ear!) or people were running off killing enemies...

So we will see how long Brink lasts. Im willing to stick with it for a while as I don't really have another alone shooter thats grabbed me in sometime.

PC or 360?

Bought mine at direct2drive when they had a sale on, retroid, you could get it there.

Tempting but I like the convenience of having everything on Steam and really it was just so I had something to fill up my day-off and I'm still unsure if it'll run on my rig or not.

Curse you all. Given the bad reviews and numerous issues, I wasn't going to buy this (despite initial pre-release enthusiasm), but now you've gone and made it sound kinda fun and I want to buy it. If I buy it, I can't afford LA Noire though. YOU GUYS.

If this game is buggered, it'll probably go cheap pretty sharpish, so I guess I should hang on a bit and get LA Noire, which I know is going to be 100% awesome.

Curse you all. Given the bad reviews and numerous issues, I wasn't going to buy this (despite initial pre-release enthusiasm), but now you've gone and made it sound kinda fun and I want to buy it. If I buy it, I can't afford LA Noire though. YOU GUYS.

If this game is buggered, it'll probably go cheap pretty sharpish, so I guess I should hang on a bit and get LA Noire, which I know is going to be 100% awesome.

wait. noire is gonna be amazing. brink isnt amazing its great. but not amazing. plus by the time your done most of the issues should be ironed out.

Well I've been having a ball with this game. A steep learning curve (i.e. lots of quick deaths) made it tough to love at first but as I level up, get to know the maps and get into the swing of changing skills (medic, engineer, soldier, operative) and objectives on-the-fly the more the strengths shine through. Did the full campaign with a load of Rllmukers last night, and as we progressed we became more canny with our tactics; looking for alternate routes, sticking together in groups, constantly buffing each other (ooer missus), and having some very exhausting/exhilarating time limited missions. Great games, guys.

This afternoon I've been jumping into games with randoms and just having a great time doing so. Unlike most other team games with randoms Brink really does successfully enforce the 'team' ethic with the players and even though we're all strangers I've been surprised and pleased to see everyone going out of there way to help each other out. Playing 8 vs bots is tough because the AI is so bastard hard but when you do finally push forward onto the next objective in a match it really feels like you and the team are battling for every inch of ground.

No real issues at all with the 360 version barring a few laggy games.

I would hate for people to waste money on a wrong or misleading advice but as Karzee says if you want something that makes you work as a team automatically and guides you this way it really does offer alot of fun.

As long as you know at this stage its 8 maps with the same objectives over and over, saying that how the game pans out is how well you do and how well you implement your skills and equipment such as mines, turrets, barricades.

I have been playing the pc version and am now willing to break open the 360 version based on what i have played on pc

A few people on my list are playing it on 360

Did some of the unlock missions and it works very nicely with a pad, took it online and my first game started well but then broke down to an unplayable mess, it host migrated once but the same thing happened.

A real shame will keep on with both but the pc version is running with no problems attall, but nobody will stand for the 360 version as it is.

I would hate for people to waste money on a wrong or misleading advice but as Karzee says if you want something that makes you work as a team automatically and guides you this way it really does offer alot of fun.

As long as you know at this stage its 8 maps with the same objectives over and over, saying that how the game pans out is how well you do and how well you implement your skills and equipment such as mines, turrets, barricades.

I have been playing the pc version and am now willing to break open the 360 version based on what i have played on pc

Excellent Point. People need to understand that its not a Team Deathmatch game. Its a Team Objective game. Once you get around that your good to go. Well ill be on Brink in about 30 minutes so if anyone wants in.