Brink

marlonharewood

Uh-oh, GAF reports that the PC version is a bit of a mess, with massive slowdown and performance issues for no apparent reason.

People are already trying to shift their 360 versions too.

If this was released a few years in the future, on download only, and if it picked up sales later on, the devs wouldn't lose as much money.

As the system stands now, the lack of polish, lobbies and PSN downtime has possibly killed this. It might have survived with being a download title, keeping it's price.

It's destined for the bargain bins before it's even out properly. One game that could have done with a beta.

I'm surprised at how easily swayed people are at this. All impressions are positive in that if you liked Enemy Territory then that's what you'll get. The technical issues are of course inexcusable and I still wonder if they were forced to push it out early (depite being delayed for many months already) but I still have high confidence in the actual game. Shame about the party system though, very strange omission. I guess that comes from their PC development background.

I did read something interesting that the AI starts off dumb as rocks but increases in intelligence the more you level up eventually becoming very proficient and even ruthless. Be interesting to see how true that actually is.

It puts me in mind of the cycle TimeGate went through with Section 8. An initial release that aimed to be a full-price hit but failed due to lack of content and polish, followed up by an impressive, well-priced, feature-packed download-only sequel. I hope Splash Damage get the chance to do something similar with this series, as it seems it's not going to be the hit they wanted.

It's the lack of a party system that's really annoying me. Yeah you can set up a game, invite friends and then sit around waiting for randoms to eventually replace all the bots (all individuals of course which won't exactly contribute to the quality of the game you get, because anyone else will be doing the exact same waiting game as you because, y'know, they want to play with their friends). It absolutely mystifies me how a developer could release a multiplayer focussed game on consoles in 2011 without a party system. I mean I guess I could have researched it a bit more before I placed an order, but I took it so much for granted it feels a bit like checking that a game pauses when you press start before deciding to buy it.

I'm surprised at how easily swayed people are at this. All impressions are positive in that if you liked Enemy Territory then that's what you'll get. The technical issues are of course inexcusable and I still wonder if they were forced to push it out early (depite being delayed for many months already) but I still have high confidence in the actual game. Shame about the party system though, very strange omission. I guess that comes from their PC development background.

I did read something interesting that the AI starts off dumb as rocks but increases in intelligence the more you level up eventually becoming very proficient and even ruthless. Be interesting to see how true that actually is.

Watch the Giant Bomb quick look, he mentions this, as he has levelled up to near the cap... But it seems that it is the enemy AI that applies to, in terms of accuracy of shooting. Friendly bots still look awful, can be seen running out of rooms which they need to hold, not covering players trying to plant bombs and so on.

It doesn't help that the lack of party system and 'pick which map to play' setup means that the player base will be very fragmented.

Just watched the Quick Look. First impression was the menus in this make the original Mass Effect look like a masterpiece of UI design.

Every single US forum I've just looked at is saying that currently the 360 version is unplayably laggy (this is after the Day 1 patch).

2/5 from Giantbomb. It is Jeff though, who has some weirdly specific, very mundane requirements for game enjoyment.

Really glad I didn't preorder.

I'd definitely try a demo though.

I didn't particularly like that quick look and honestly found it a bit painful to watch. To Jeffs credit though he said he's going to give the PC version a try without the bots and see how he takes to that. It seems like he didn't like the guns and found it all a bit 'boring' so I don't see how it'll make much of a difference.

I'm starting to wonder if getting this on 360 is a good idea. I'll still be getting it this weekend and probably having some games with them but I honestly don't see it lasting amongst my XBL friends due to a lack of party system (and I don't blame them, I blame Splash Damage for not including one as standard) and I can see it being abandoned very quickly and them all going back to Halo or whatever. This is without even talking about the fact it's supposed to be quite laggy on 360. I can see the PC support lasting for a VERY long time especially since anyone can do a server, a rarity for PC games these days It's not that I don't think Splash Damage won't support the console versions but they're a fickle bunch and will go back to their favourites if the problems aren't sorted pronto. I still think the core of this game will be great and it greatly appeals but goddamn will we EVER have a new console multiplayer game which isn't plagued with bugs or errors ?

Saying that, it hasn't even been officially released in Euroland yet so maybe miracles can happen.... (hey don't shout at me! optimism mode on!)

EDIT - I also meant to post this earlier, it was what Richard Ham had to say about the bots. Basically they start off in a Hero mode where they linger around objectives but are waiting for you to actually take them. They don't want to take the limelight away from you so to speak so they generally don't do too much. They become increasingly aggressive as the match goes on and when time starts to run out. They can apparently change these values on their side to alter the bots behaviour and are closely watching peoples feedback. It seems like most people are calling them dumb now so I think they'll increase the aggressiveness within the next few days (IF what he said wasn't a load of shit)

Yeah I read the joystiq review. I think im out as well. Very disappointed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink_%28video_game%29#Reception

Joystiqs review of 2/5 is now criticized widely by the gaming community, as when gamers closely inspected the reviewers gamer profile on xbox, it was revealed that he had only put a little of a hour into the game, and had not even viewed the tutorial.

The controversy over that is a little bizarre for a game which hasn't had that much hype has looked fairly average all told for a while, and isn't getting top-notch reviews in general. Also, the tutorial video he didn't watch is 20 MINUTES LONG by all accounts.

Anyway, it got 8/10 from the eurogamer guy... who gave OF:RR and Mario All Stars Wii the same score. Hmm.

Worth noting the paragraph that was added to the Joystiq review following the controversy:

This review is based on a retail Xbox 360 copy of Brink provided by Bethesda. It was played for 12 hours across single-player and multiplayer modes, including Campaign, Freeplay and Challenge. The reviewer was not on the winning side of three of the Campaign missions, despite multiple attempts.

The original report that "outed" the Joystiq reviewer has been pulled and Wikipedia seemingly makes no reference to the Joystiq review any longer. Despite this, it seems the same accusations are now being directed at GiantBomb, with people claiming they "only played a couple of hours" and are "rubbish at games". :facepalm:

Shame about the game, I had high hopes for it. Maybe things will improve with time? (Probably not.) Also, lots of complaints about it only having 8 maps - Team Fortress 2 launched with 6 maps and was/is pretty cool. Just saying. ;)

I can see this working on pc with modding and patching, and a community fanbase, but console i think it will die a horrible death

Wouldn't it be wise for devs to counter negative press immediately with responses on how they wil be addressing so called problems and game breakers that have been called out by reviewers?

The pc stream i was watching showed some genuine good times and I was getting into the to and fro of the attack and defend of it all. But the game freezes were horrific and totally and utterly ruined the experience.

The 8 maps issue wouldnt be a problem if they were all really decent, Counterstrike was something I put a ridiculous amount of time into.

It's weird the reviews are all over the place with this, there must be some fun to be had?