The never ending Edgeventures of Tim Langdell

I've got to be out of my fucking mind, because I'm supposed to start writing my thesis in six months, but I figure I'm in the right place at the right time to get a book written about this. Would anyone here actually read such a thing? It'd probably take a couple of years for the current rumblings to peter out, but I'd have to start the research immediately.

I'd buy it. Although for your own sake, don't let it nterfere with your thesis too

much.

I've got to be out of my fucking mind, because I'm supposed to start writing my thesis in six months, but I figure I'm in the right place at the right time to get a book written about this. Would anyone here actually read such a thing? It'd probably take a couple of years for the current rumblings to peter out, but I'd have to start the research immediately.

I think a big draw of this whole thing is the participation of Langdell himself and the way the matter was conducted on public forums, with a lot of interaction from the "readership". Another draw is a "what will happen next?" factor and how everyone wants to see what Langdell's next move, though more importantly how everyone can trip him up. Once this is all over and the judgement has come down and Langdell isn't making any more moves etc I'm not sure how interesting this issue will be.

If I were you and wanted to make a book out of this I'd be looking at what I can offer in the book which has not already been made public. The obvious answer is an interview with Langdell to get his version of what was happening at the time. The ideal would be what was running through his head as his faked evidence and box art was being picked apart by the community, his motivations for doing what he did, what he would have wanted to do differently etc.

Write your thesis man. This is a fascinating story for sure, but a big draw is seeing 'oh noes! what's happening now?!' then going over to a different forum to get Langdell's responses.

This story needs the internet links and stuff like roskelld's features.

But your work has been sterling, Alex.

Personally I'd go with the book. Like you say, you're first through the door during a really interesting happening. ALTHOUGH, with a lengthy court case about to happen you'll get stonewalled by EA, Langdell and various others until the case is cleared, so maybe a book would be tough to write just now.

Hmmm, tough call

Perhaps Alex could expand a little on what the book would be about and focused on? I'm interested but I can't really see it being a riveting read unless there's some awesome revalations or new information.

Aside from the mass tangled web of complex legal stuff, which I'm not personally too keen on digesting, surely most of the truth has already come to the forfront and is out there, so an entire book is perhaps unnecessary. I think more direct and plain website contributions suit this story better, like ChaosEdge :wub:

I'd probably buy it, but for gods sake don't let it interfere with your Thesis (or anything else for that matter). I agree with the suggestions that the impact may be minimal in the future, but I don't see why you couldn't at least make preperations

I like Strawp's idea of a TV Documentary. It would be a challenge to fit the wealth of information into a 40-60 minute time slot, but at least it would be a challenge of whittling down rather than padding out.

Securing a few interviews, showing plenty of footage, from old Edge releases as well as montages of forum posts, court documents etc... It'd make for an interesting show.

It might need a bigger hook in someways, maybe the fact that EA have gotten deeply involved would be enough, but I'm thinking more of why a person would choose to work in the way Langdell has; looking for other cases to draw parallels with like the Monster Cable guy, and I'm sure with some more research a wealth of Trademark Trolls could be exposed. Showing that there are people out there that make money off this kind of act.

This is turning out like Zodiac. Don't do it, Alex! All that will happen is that you'll become so obsessed that you'll quit your cartoonist job and your wife Chloë Sevigny will leave you! And then you'll just go and stare at Tim Langdell in a shop.

I'd fucking buy it!

Or: Do your thesis on Laaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnngggdddeeeelll!

Obviously I'd finish the thesis first before I started doing any actually writing! However if I make the decision to write the book later, I should get getting in touch with people now, while everything is in motion. Research now, maybe write a magazine article to secure an advance, and then do the book.

However if people are more interested in following the story as it unfolds, it'd be a job for someone like roskelld who can (and does) commit the time now. Hence my asking if anyone would actually read a book on it.

Obviously I'd finish the thesis first before I started doing any actually writing! However if I make the decision to write the book later, I should get getting in touch with people now, while everything is in motion. Research now, maybe write a magazine article to secure an advance, and then do the book.

Have you been published before? If not, good luck getting an advance out of a publisher on a subject like this. That's not to say it wouldn't be an interesting read but I'm not convinced a publisher will see the broader appeal.

However if people are more interested in following the story as it unfolds, it'd be a job for someone like roskelld who can (and does) commit the time now. Hence my asking if anyone would actually read a book on it.

I'd read the book, for sure. It'll be like the Tetris chapter of 'Game Over' for a new generation! (and us been-through-every-generation oldies)

As fascinating as the story has been to follow, I'm not sure it's a big enough project to be worth your efforts. Langdell just isn't a big enough character (despite what he might think).

If you do go ahead, you may call it "Over The Edge". That's my contribution, and you can use it free of charge. Providing you pay me 50p for every copy sold for the first two years.

If you do go ahead, you may call it "Over The Edge". That's my contribution, and you can use it free of charge. Providing you pay me 50p for every copy sold for the first two years.

Quoted, so you can't pretend later that you never asked for any money. Great name, too.

Has the mobile phone version of Bobby Bearing just appeared? The S60 phones were old tech when I left mobile phone games.... five years ago!

It was sold for a while by some polish company back in 2003 (Or there abouts), around the time when aggregators were picking up old games by the bucket load.

Tim has now decided to sell a zip file of it on his website to show that its still on sale for all those many S60 phone users out there.

It's not being carried by any network we can find; no surprise.

If it was sold back in 2003, then its still can't be classed as current use and gives him as much fight as showing a doctored C64 Garfield box.

I doubt you'd get anything meaningful out of the major players now that legal proceedings are underway.

To me this episode just isn't big enough to warrant a whole book in itself and certainly not one I'd buy. Why do you think there's a book's worth of material here?

I've followed it on-line with some interest and would enjoy reading a detailed article once the whole thing's been resolved but that's about it.

In terms of writing about this stuff, I don't think it would fill out an entire book. But it would make a very nice introduction to a wider topic in gaming; IP stuff, backstabbing and massive egos in the industry (Bruce).. In true Thereoux style, Langdell's case could be the narrative that ties it all together.