rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Alex W.

The never ending Edgeventures of Tim Langdell

And he's probably getting short of cash, it's the only reason to explain why he would stick his head above the sand so much. I mean, think about it- he was a relatively cushy number. He was quietly threatening to sue publishers through his copyright of the word "Edge". They would pay, and nobody was really bothered. But in the past few months, his tactics have got so bad that it's brought a lot of bad press about him, and it's probably not what he wanted. But that change of tactics is probably due to him not having any source of revenue and drastic times call for drastic measures!

Except the outcome could very well be that he ends up losing his Edge copyright, or someone refuses to pay him wins the court case and then he absolutely has no future source of income on the word Edge....

He should have kept it low profile, the internet wouldn't have raised its burning pitchforks and he would still be making a few quid here and there on his name...

Or he has gone completely bat-shit crazy.

Surely it's just because someone has actually went public this time, which in turn has caused everything else to be uncovered?

Yes, but eventually, surely he has to actually release the game, otherwise it's an utterly moot point.

He could just have the argument of "your higher profile game has affected my potential sales so much that we've decided not to release it". And if his argument is based on future release then the game could just be quietly canned (as some games are) while he still takes a few quid from the higher profile (and actually released) game.

It is pretty despicable, and the signs of a true "patent troll" but, as was previously posted, it's now gone so high profile that things will never be the same again for him.

It's also been quite sad reading about his history in the 80s with him not actually paying developers. The Edge, back in the 80s, had some decent games out- Bobby Bearing, Shao Lin's Road, Brian Bloodaxe, Fairlight 1 and 2 and I quite enjoyed Starbike on the old Softaid compilation. Thank god that I didn't actually pay for any of those games back then (well, apart from Softaid... ;-) ) :facepalm:

Just for the lulz;

201-1.jpg

I wonder what the Figgis brothers think about all this Langdell business.....

Isn't that a complete rip off of Marble Madness? Have we covered this already?

Isn't that a complete rip off of Marble Madness? Have we covered this already?

To be fair, I think it was more of a Spindizzy ripoff:

Bobby Bearing

bobbybearing.gif

Spindizzy

spindizzy_07.gif

But then that was all back in the good-old days of ripping games off without consequence :facepalm:

It occurred to me that by revealing his "Without Prejudice" correspondence with Mobigame online, he may have sacrificed any actual legal protection that the "without prejudice" statement is supposed to provide. The whole point is that said correspondence is a private negotiation and can't be used as evidence, but if it's in a public forum, then that's no longer the case.

Eurogamer, of course, discussed Mobigame and Langdell's negotiations, but they never actually published them, so I dunno if that has the same effect.

Certainly stating things like: We'll make a % cut, but don't tell anyone; then going to publish that fact on the internet has to shake up his defenses somewhat.

Never saw this before - from kotaku:

Update: From Cult of Mac's Craig Grannell comes word that Mobigames' Papazian has talked with Bobby Bearing's actual developers, Robert and Trevor Figgins, and they claim they retain the rights to the game. Langdell, they assert, was just the publisher. Further, those two are said to believe that Mobigames' Edge is not a game similar to Bobby Bearing. If this is true, it makes Langdell's claim even more despicable, although we are talking about a contract they had (if any) more than 20 years ago, at a time when such things were a lot less formal than they are now.

I wonder if this was intended to be used to sue the Monty Python Lads;

229-1.jpg

I vaguely remember the name of the game but that cover isn't even a subtle rip-off.

(what's with the rhino though?)

There seems to be 2 distinct sections of old industry types, rich successful ones in mansions having worked for MS, Sony etc. And then...the batshit mental hatstand deluded blog-writing, not-living-in-real-world loonies. The types that worry about people downloading "torrents" onto their pcs, and conveniently forget real life facts. Isnt that right brucie.

:):facepalm:

So is he actually "Dr Langdell" then, or is that bullshit too?

Perhaps someone will call UCL and find out.

Nope, he's called Mr Timmy Lang-dell

Reading TIGSource and they same to be saying now that at one point he sued his own lawyer for trademark infringement in order to build precedent for future cases. :facepalm:

So is he actually "Dr Langdell" then, or is that bullshit too?

Perhaps someone will call UCL and find out.

possibly in the same way that stu campbell is a "reverend"...

possibly in the same way that stu campbell is a "reverend"...

But according to that college website where he lectures, his doctorate is from "University College, England".

He got a PhD in the study of autism from the University of London (IIRC) in the '70s. He published research on the same topic. It's on the up-and-up.

He got a PhD in the study of autism from the University of London (IIRC) in the '70s. He published research on the same topic. It's on the up-and-up.

Fair enough, he's not an entirely fictional character then.