Lady & The Cripple

kerraig UK

untitled.jpg

So last weekend I Directed a short film about 2 people trying to escape a zombie outbreak in London, but in heading west they actually go right into the heart of the outbreak. turns out that it started in Wales but nobody noticed because, like, its Wales!

We shot it at a disused petrol station in Milton keynes (thanks to jumble Jumble for the heads up) and it was a fucking brilliant laugh. i recommend everybody go shoot at least one zombie film with mates in their lifetime.

Just about to start editing it now, so i'll post snippets next week, but this is just Spudulis (Co-Producer, Editor) and me officially creating some 'Pre release buzz' :huh:

jawzombie.jpg

carattack.jpg

franklinonback.jpg

I want to write a zombie film set like two or three years after an outbreak. They always seem to be set during the outbreak (for good reason - its the obvious time there's going to be high drama) but I've always thought it would be cool to see what the world is like in the aftermath of a zombie holocaust. Society trying to put itself back together, but lots of stubborn zombs still hanging in there. And new ones being created still whenever someone dies, of course. Most of the population dead, and the survivors being the resourceful ones that have managed to teach themselves to hunt and make their own clothes and houses and shit.

I don't want to see like a tame zombie being trained to do menial work or whatever though.

Romero has already been there. A proper look at how an outbreak would affect society is something that hasn't really been mined though. Outbreaks are just way too quick - a slow, natural, disintegration would be quite interesting to explore.

Romero has already been there. A proper look at how an outbreak would affect society is something that hasn't really been mined though. Outbreaks are just way too quick - a slow, natural, disintegration would be quite interesting to explore.

I've always wanted to do a newsnight special kinda thing. like a BBC news program discussing the outbreak. You'd be able to go into all sorts of detail, and fairly cheaply too cos you only need a studio and some actors.

I've always wanted to do a newsnight special kinda thing. like a BBC news program discussing the outbreak. You'd be able to go into all sorts of detail, and fairly cheaply too cos you only need a studio and some actors.

The problem is trying to make sure it doesn't turn into Brass Eye (assuming you wanted to make it serious that is).

That could be really cool. All set inside a studio. I think I saw a zombie film not long ago that started out like that, but I've watched a lot of shit zombie films recently and I can't remember which one it was. It moved out of the studio though... a film set entirely in the studio would be good. Everything filmed as if it is a straight studio broadcast , and one of the cameras has been left running or something. They could get killed at the end when the zombs inevitably break into the studio (for a traditional zombie film ending) or maybe survive the initial onslaught and manage to stay broadcasting, telling survivors where to go and what to do, somehow (for a more upbeat, hope for humanity kind of ending).

If this film goes down well it'd be great to make a little series of 10 min zombie shorts analysing different aspects of what would happen if there was a zombie outbreak.

Put together it could make a really nice little series. Loving some of the ideas that people are having.

This looks interesting, nice poster. I'm intrigued at how you go about organizing this... I saw your company website a while back so I understand you're a professional outfit but it looks like you only have a very small team. Do you do everything yourself or do you just write/direct and hire freelance people in to do lighting, makeup, camera etc?

This looks interesting, nice poster. I'm intrigued at how you go about organizing this... I saw your company website a while back so I understand you're a professional outfit but it looks like you only have a very small team. Do you do everything yourself or do you just write/direct and hire freelance people in to do lighting, makeup, camera etc?

We hire freelancers. The whole industry is freelance. We've made quite a few music videos and things like that now so we've got our little crew together of people we like and trust. This shoot was an absolute blast. Most people were working for free and doing 16 hour days on their weekend but because its zombies everyone seemed up for it. It was such a laugh although we did all get sunburnt to hell.

As for the head that was actually made by a mate of ours who's a special effects genius (he did our Predator mask for the Bring Me The Horizon video we did). He made it for a short film he shot a while back. He did our zmbie make-up and we just asked to use the head for a bit of extra gore. It was funny as we were sitting around in the shade and someone had just left the head on the floor and I thought it'd make the perfect poster with the car in the background.

I didnt get sunburnt cos I rule!

Yeah, with all the corporate and media stuff we've done we've managed to fine tune our team so that we have great camera, lighting, fx and sound people who we enjoy working with. They get paid on all the jobs they do for us as freelancers, and for that they're happy to work for free on our own private projects.

We have 2 more short films lined up we wanna shoot as well as a feature we're currently trying to raise money for. Just need to earn some more corporate dollar before doing another personal jobbie. We're like George Clooney!

• 11 months later...

OK so this short took a bit of a back seat. I did an edit but wanted to get someone else who was a top editor to have a pass. But top editors keep getting booked on good projects who can actually pay them. So eventually we just got some feedback from good people and went back and I re-cut it. We're now pretty much at the locked cut stage and we're just sorting out sound, music and grading so the plan is to get it finished for Fight Fest.

Anyway we did a trailer so have a watch and let me know your thoughts

http://www.vimeo.com/11716387