rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Ridley Scott's Prometheus - Sequel gets new writer

It is probably because, despite the obvious similarities between the two, I have always viewed Alien and Aliens as very separate films which is why the changes in Alien3 and Resurrection never bothered me as much as it did others, nor why a crazy wooden planet never seemed that out of place for the series.

Alien and Aliens are tonally very different films, but Cameron did a very good job of making it feel like it took place in the same universe that Ridley Scott had established.

Whilst it might not have been a good match with the Alien universe, and the ideas surrounding it were terrible, I still really wish we saw the wooden planet committed to film. It just seems such a crazy but strangely brilliant idea that it seems sad it was never realised in some form.

Yup, as much as I love Alien3 despite others outright hating it that production clip on the box set looked all kinds of incredible. The idea of a wooden planet itself is crazy, adding monks to it crazier still and the thought of an atmosphere just outside the ship being so thin you could put your head out into space just blew my mind. I dearly would've loved to have seen this sort of thing on film.

The concept drawings had a couple of depictions of fire if I recall and we all know fire + wood = a bad idea. More so in deep space.

With regards to the Alien3 wooden planet that never was... wasn't there some crazy stuff about how the atmosphere was very low? In other words, a normal sized man could stand on the surface of the planet and his head would be in space!

Not in that obvious, ultra-polished chrome way that you see in close ups of the Alien in the first film though, and generally speakimg the re-designed Aliens were more organic looking.

Interesting article here about the changes between the two films. Also cites Scott and Giger as liking Cameron's Queen design.

http://alienseries.blogspot.com/2010/11/making-of-aliens-abstract-part-i-script.html

I have spent far more time than I really should have reading that blog today. Amazing stuff.

I just scrolled through this page* to find smitty had posted two posts in a row four times, three posts in a row three times, four posts in a row once and five posts in a row once. Sort it out mate, my scrollwheel can't take it :lol:

On subject, I watched all four films this weekend. Alien looked phenomenal on bluray, like it had been recorded yesterday. Aliens looked a bit dated as the sets were noticeably made of painted balsa wood and the vehicle models looked lighter than ever. I watched the special edition of Alien 3 and enjoyed it much more than I remember doing on previous watches. Though any 'message' and subtext seems to have been buried in the struggle to get it finished, I like the setup and lots of the dialogue and individual scenes. It's not a great alien film but it's quite an interesting David Fincher film, watched with the rest of his body of work in mind. There's nothing much to say about Resurrection. It is what it is.

Anyway dudes, I did a CSI enhance and embiggen on the mysterious character in the Prometheus trailer. It looks like boxart for an id game:

WPYHp.jpg

* Edit: It's actually the page before now

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Alien Ressurection felt like a comic book movie version and that to me fitted in with the change in genre from film to film (though not sure where the third one fits into that...maybe its a Drama). I actualy like it a fair bit... :unsure:

I was watching Delicatessan last night, which is obviously awesome, but I totally couldn't understand how anyone in Hollywood could watch that and City Of Lost Children and think Jeunet (sans Caro, even) was a suitable choice for an Aliens sequel. Let alone Jeunet with a script by the Buffy guy. Maybe they thought they were making a screwball romcom with monsters and the "franchise" *spit* got tacked on at the last minute before production.

I was watching Delicatessan last night, which is obviously awesome, but I totally couldn't understand how anyone in Hollywood could watch that and City Of Lost Children and think Jeunet (sans Caro, even) was a suitable choice for an Aliens sequel.

It was a case of picking a director with a strong visual style, something that all the films have in common, although seeing how Sunshine turned out it is obvious to see why Danny Boyle was their original choice for director.

Resurrection was awful mainly because Whedon is a fucking hack. Considering Alien is essentially about rape I'm disappointed crackhead Weaver's suggestions about all sorts of surreal arty weirdness were passed over. If she'd written a script there's a chance it would've been mad as fuck but I doubt it could've been as disappointing as what we got.

Resurrection looks the part mostly, the xeno designs harkening back to the original concept drawings and the general feel being right (ignoring the seemingly endless hallways and mile tall ladder scene).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Resurrection was awful mainly because Whedon is a fucking hack. Considering Alien is essentially about rape I'm disappointed crackhead Weaver's suggestions about all sorts of surreal arty weirdness were passed over. If she'd written a script there's a chance it would've been mad as fuck but I doubt it could've been as disappointing as what we got.

Resurrection looks the part mostly, the xeno designs harkening back to the original concept drawings and the general feel being right (ignoring the seemingly endless hallways and mile tall ladder scene).

Whedon is a great writer, but this type of film isn't his thing. In the same way that Juenet is a great director, but completely ill-suited to a film of this type and ultimately the buck stops with him.

Also, they totally screwed up the Alien design in Resurrection, moving further than ever before from the original Giger designs, losing the bio-mechanical elements completely. Unfortunately, a design decision that persisted into the AVP movies too.

• Upvote 1

The design is fine and the photography of the alien was the best it's ever been. Khonji's work for example used the ENR process on that film so the aliens would be pitch black, he then built cages of Kinos around them to create highlights that gave an impression of their geometry, without actually exposing any midtones, so they are literally voids on the film negative.

Shit film (totally down to the writing whether you say so or not) but it looked pretty fucking fantastic.

• Downvote 1

That look it supposedly had will always remain unknown to me, as it's the only Alien film (of the four) that I never went to see at the pictures, but it looks terrible, really dreadful, on Blu-ray. I think sky_captain explained it here. (Well, he didn't exactly explain why the transfer's so bad, rather why my reaction to it (thinking it must have looked terrible at the flicks too) was misplaced.) But seriously, the contrast, black levels and colour of Resurrection look lousy on the Blu-ray; it's easily the shabbiest-looking one technically (the poor composting of the models in Alien 3 aside).

The design is fine and the photography of the alien was the best it's ever been. Khonji's work for example used the ENR process on that film so the aliens would be pitch black, he then built cages of Kinos around them to create highlights that gave an impression of their geometry, without actually exposing any midtones, so they are literally voids on the film negative.

Shit film (totally down to the writing whether you say so or not) but it looked pretty fucking fantastic.

I'm not defending the script at all. But there are a number of ways a script can be interpreted, and the buck stops with the director. The look and tone of it is very comic book and some of the casting is pretty questionable, none of which is to my taste in an Alien film really. I appreciate that each one has a distinct feel, but this is the only one of the 4 which doesn't sit with the rest tonally.

There's an interesting article on this blog (again) detailing the changes in design of the Alien throughout the series: http://alienseries.blogspot.com/2011/06/alien-shape-throughout-series.html . I'm sure various people had good intentions on how the Aliens were represented, but for me Resurrection marks the turning point where they became a generic movie monster, and the stuff I found interesting was completely lost. That's partly down to the design of suit, and partly down to the way Jeunet chose to represent them.

Whedon's script is, if anything, even worse than the final film. It has a sequence in it where they drive through a forest in a jeep being chased by raptors aliens, the Newborn is equally shitty to the film except it's also a vampire and it dies by falling into a space combine harvester. Pretty much everyone involved with Resurrection deserves a share of the blame as much as Whedon has spent the time since whining that they got his vision wrong.

Whedon is a great writer, but this type of film isn't his thing.

Whedon writes great dialogue, but his stories are terrible and the less said about his designs, especially for monsters, the better.

There's an interesting article on this blog (again) detailing the changes in design of the Alien throughout the series: http://alienseries.blogspot.com/2011/06/alien-shape-throughout-series.html . I'm sure various people had good intentions on how the Aliens were represented, but for me Resurrection marks the turning point where they became a generic movie monster, and the stuff I found interesting was completely lost. That's partly down to the design of suit, and partly down to the way Jeunet chose to represent them.

Completely agree. I keep saying it in every Alien thread, but they became Velociraptors in Space. I mean, never mind the original Alien design, look at the difference between Aliens and AVP: Requiem:

picture0082.jpg

AlienAvPRbust34.jpg

:facepalm: