rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Ridley Scott's Prometheus - Sequel gets new writer

Personally, I wasn't impressed by Alien. Amazingly, the sequel turned out to be one of the best science fiction films ever made. Who could have predicted that?

• Downvote 1

Personally, I wasn't impressed by Alien. Amazingly, the sequel turned out to be one of the best science fiction films ever made. Who could have predicted that?

Here's a more certain prediction:

You're going to die writhing in agony.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it wouldn't have to be a reboot really, there's enough time from the events of Alien to Alien Resurrection to slip in a few more stories.

I'd love to see a decent re-boot. The films since Aliens have seen the franchise go from bad to worse to ridiculous.

Clear the decks.

It doesn't delete them from existence though :(

That's true, although with most re-boots the past films are deleted from existence, or at least modified so the new ones can have their own back-story, free from baggage. Batman and Star Trek spring to mind.

No. As they can't really do the Earth War story anymore, I'd like something loosely derived from the Salvation comic set on some remote farm world colony. If only because the scene in Jurassic Park 2 where they're running through the field fleeing the raptors and disappearing one by one always struck me as something that should have been in an Alien film, somehow. Really play with the religious allegory and find a way to mix in some nice anti-corporatist message. And shoot the whole thing like a Terence Mallick film.

Well, there's a great film in there in my head. And I like the juxtaposition of the imagery we typically associate with the xenomorph and Mallick's method of making meditative filmic essays which comment on the relationship between Man and the natural environment he inhabits and the disruption that mankind brings to it.

That sounds exactly like Eric Red's breathtaking Alien 3 script.

:lol:

Been reading a bit too many Edge magazines?

Nah, that's too low brow, it's without doubt, Pitchfork Media's review of M83's 'Before The Dawn Heals Us' album.

An excerpt:

Although critics consistently nudge away the term, M83 create high-concept emo embossed with glittery snow angels, packing more synthy bombast than a Tangerine Dream/Mineral mash-up. 2003's Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts found the duo lazing on their backs in an Antibes field, watching stars and birds gently collide above green mountain tops. A pleasingly disembodied traipse through the French countryside, it was a lesson for anybody who thinks electronics have no soul.

If Gonzalez had gone ahead with only epic Vangelis modulations, Before the Dawn Heals Us would collapse under hollow ponderousness. Instead, he weaves a rock backbone into his tangerine-dream landscape with steady doses of highly effective live drums, gigantic post-MBV guitar, and sharper, more defined songwriting that helps to beef up the diaphanous symphony.

I'd like to see a scenario where aliens are ridden like bucking broncos as entertainment for a run down, yet technologically advanced sci fi ghetto.

• Upvote 1

Been a while since I saw it last, but in Alien where they see the space jockey sat in his chair thing, he was huge, right? Much bigger than a human? He also looked like he'd had a chest burster or something funky attached to his face. What's that about?

I've answered most of my own questions

According to the writers, the scene inside the derelict's interior with the Jockey pilot was essential. Although the Fox production company wanted to pull the scene for cost reasons, the filmmakers won and the scene was filmed. The full-scale Space Jockey prop was 26 feet (7.9 m) tall. A smaller version of the prop was destroyed by arsonists while on display at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood.

In an application of the special effects technique of forced perspective, Scott dressed his own children in scaled down Nostromo spacesuits and filmed them walking around the Space Jockey's dais to make the whole set appear twice as large as it actually was.

The Book of Alien notes that the actors and crew felt instinctively that the Space Jockey was a benign creature, though they could not say why. In the bonus materials of the special edition Alien DVD, director Ridley Scott expresses the opinion that a film exploring the backstory of the Space Jockey would be an interesting direction for the series to take.

I'm down with this. It appears the eggs were being transported somewhere, why? I'd actually like to see some backstory to the aliens and find out if they originated on some insanely harsh planet or were engineered somehow. Is there any reading on this sort of thing?

Scott suggests in his Alien DVD commentary that the Jockey's ship was a "bomber": alien eggs could be dropped on an enemy planet, and the aliens would proceed to kill the population as they spawned. According to Cameron, the Space Jockey's craft picked up alien eggs and the pilot became infected by the dangerous cargo; the ship landed on LV-426 and the Space Jockey transmitted the signal as a warning.

I'm down with this. It appears the eggs were being transported somewhere, why? I'd actually like to see some backstory to the aliens and find out if they originated on some insanely harsh planet or were engineered somehow. Is there any reading on this sort of thing?

Don't you think it's infinitely more interesting if we never find out?

• Upvote 1

No, hence me being fine with it. I'm one of those people that likes to know as much as possible about things like that. I'd also like a complete fuckton of concept art, more films need concept art released. I really liked some of the monster works for The Mist.

*edit: I should add at this point the series honestly cannot get any worse than 4 or the 2 AvP movies so why the fuck not?

It doesn't have to be the backstory to it, I just see no idea why the franchise should involve a human struggle yet again. Personally I'd like an entirely alien species centric film with no humans whatsoever. I love watching Alien and wondering about the planet and I think it's wrong to assume that if a movie was made about it it'd automatically be shit or 'not as good as what's in your head'. Because every time I watch Aliens I still wouldn't have anything done differently and considering it was the follow-up to a staggeringly good movie it shows that if the material is handled correctly it can be every bit as good in its own right. It just needs someone at the helm who doesn't want to simply rehash what's gone before.

• Upvote 1

A sequel... without humans? That just wouldn't work, man. The whole human element of the Alien and Aliens is what makes them so great.

And what, do these aliens speak English?

It doesn't have to be the backstory to it, I just see no idea why the franchise should involve a human struggle yet again. Personally I'd like an entirely alien species centric film with no humans whatsoever. I love watching Alien and wondering about the planet and I think it's wrong to assume that if a movie was made about it it'd automatically be shit or 'not as good as what's in your head'. Because every time I watch Aliens I still wouldn't have anything done differently and considering it was the follow-up to a staggeringly good movie it shows that if the material is handled correctly it can be every bit as good in its own right. It just needs someone at the helm who doesn't want to simply rehash what's gone before.

I've got no problem with another Alien movie. But a prequel to the first one? Nah. The sense of mystery is one of the best things about the first one.

It doesn't have to be the backstory to it, I just see no idea why the franchise should involve a human struggle yet again. Personally I'd like an entirely alien species centric film with no humans whatsoever. I love watching Alien and wondering about the planet and I think it's wrong to assume that if a movie was made about it it'd automatically be shit or 'not as good as what's in your head'.

It could feature David Attenborough as narrator, explaining about the aliens' habitat, show scenes of them raising their cubs, building their nests, etc. And with BBC support it could also be turned into a mini-series, The Life of Aliens!

Aliens/Alien without humans being ripped to pieces wouldn't be Aliens/Alien.

And as for doing stuff about the space jockeys, are you mental? Leave that shit up to the imagination.

And as for doing stuff about the space jockeys, are you mental? Leave that shit up to the imagination.

It would be nice to see, though. It is a reboot after all, so why not do it properly instead of just updating everything to suit modern media conventions? That would be boring as hell.

What we need is an Alien/(John Carpenter's) Thing mashup where the humans are all aliens.

The space jockey shit is best left to the imagination. The scene in the crashed ship is probably my favourite scene out of all the Alien films. It made you ask questions.

What is that thing in the chair? Why was it carrying all those eggs in it's ship? What went wrong?

A prequel would be all 'His name was Darren, he was a courier for an intergalactic xenomorph delivery agency and he accidentally dropped one of eggs after he tripped over the cord of his electric trouser press.'

Where's the fun in that? Where's the mystery? Where's the overwhelming sense of a long-dead, ancient, unknowable alien presence?

It's funny you should mention The Thing, because a similar thing happens in that, when Macready and the other fella arrive at the Norwegian Station to find everyone dead. You don't see how the Norwegians died, but your mind conjures up images a thousand times more scary than a prequel film could ever manage.

• Upvote 1

A key component of Aliens is seeing the matriachal society; without the Ripley/Newt/Queen element it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good - that's quite a showing of how Alien society works.

Alien's original cut is famous for you barely seeing the Alien for quite a while. Even in Aliens the death scenes aren't particularly explicit. They're not really ripped to pieces.

The imagination is great, but one of the reasons I love Alien and Aliens is because I saw a lot of the imagination of other people. If you're a fan of someone's work then there's no reason not to see more of it, provided it's of the same standard. The concept artwork involved in the first three movies is incredible, as were a lot of the ideas. I just don't see how another human-based story would work, there's more than enough unexplored original material to make into a film.

Two hours of epileptic running gun battle? No thanks.

It's people like you that supported Ripley being in every single film. :blink:

What's that got to do with anything? I don't think Ripley should have returned after Alien 3, no.

But if someone is skilled enough to pull off a film about two alien races, fighting one another for a couple of hours, with no humans, and basically no dialogue - it deserves to stand as a single film in its own right, not tacked on to the Alien series.

Alien's original cut is famous for you barely seeing the Alien for quite a while. Even in Aliens the death scenes aren't particularly explicit. They're not really ripped to pieces.

:blink:

You know what I mean. The alien series is all about human beings up against biological killing machines. No amount of semantic splitting is going to change that.

I don't think any director is brave enough to make a film purely about aliens as people need to connect with something and it's hard to do it with what is in essence, a pure killing machine.

I'd like to see it though.

The problem with the Aliens franchise is that the horror and mystery is long lost. The IP has been degradded beyond belief and there isn't any atmosphere attached to it when we've seen it shoehorned into a 12 cert.

I think you'd just alienate the fans that are left with a reboot. I'd try and explore some other story avenues. I can't remeber if 3 killed of newt but if it didn't then I'd consider using her or I'd try for completely new story arc.