rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Ridley Scott's Prometheus - Sequel gets new writer

From /Film

In April it was revealed that director Ridley Scott is “toying around with the idea” of doing a Alien prequel or reboot. Bloody Disgusting’s sources claim that Michael Costigan, Ridley Scott and even Tony Scott are all on board to produce a new film in the Alien series, with commercial/music video director Carl Erik Rinsch at the helm. Rinsch is also a member of Ridley Scott’s production company RSA. No details about the plot or timeline (we’ve heard the words “reboot” and “prequel”), but apparently the plan is to return to the original idea of one alien on one spaceship.

I have compiled some of Rinsch’s more impressive commercials in another post called The Commercials of Carl Erik Rinsch. You must check out his work. Watching his commercials, it’s easy to see why he might be a choice for a 21st Century Alien film. He is able to effectively combine realistic visual effects with live action imagery to create a magically compelling story.

Hmm, would love to see a new decent Alien flick but not too sure about a reboot. Glad to see Scott involved although I would rather him be directing.

In the new film a temporal vortex opens up in Ron Perlman's face, catapulting everything back to 1977. A teenage Ripley ends up aboard the Nostromo on its maiden voyage, where she encounters the alien in its larval stage (played by Paul Walker).

• Upvote 1

I'm all for a proper new Alien film and if a reboot just means them ditching Ripley's character then all the better. No idea if Rinsch is the right guy for the job but the series has been in safe hands with relatively inexperienced directors before. I just hope Fox don't fuck it all up.

I'm all for a proper new Alien film and if a reboot just means them ditching Ripley's character then all the better. No idea if Rinsch is the right guy for the job but the series has been in safe hands with relatively inexperienced directors before. I just hope Fox don't fuck it all up.

Optimism: the triumph of hope over experience.

• Upvote 1

Definitely, I think they've taken Ripley's story as far as they can (arguably too far). I don't have much faith in Fox though.

• Downvote 1

They managed to not fuck up the first couple so two out of six ain't bad.

:) But that was before Rothman came to Fox. I would rather them make a proper Alien film that the shit they have been churning out with the AvP series. With Scott involved with this and them hoping to go back to the series roots (being trapped with one alien on a ship in space) already has me a bit more optimistic. They would obviously need to change the Alien a bit though to make it scary but this to me sounds more interesting than the Predator reboot.

I'd rather see a more action centred film personally. The original Alien nailed the single monster in space concept so well that I think it will be hard for any reboot to not seem inferior. Likewise, since the original Alien there have been a whole host of copy cat movies with a mysterious antagonist aboard a single spacecraft so it seems a little old hat. I do adore Aliens but it is a film very much of its time and as such has aged in a way that Scott's first film has not. There just seems more scope for some great marine based Alien stories (assuming the budget is there to do it justice).

• Upvote 1

Needs space jockey.

See, it really doesn't.

How fucking cool was it in Predator 2 when you saw a glimpse of the Alien trophy head in the Predator's ship? You get the idea in your head of this epic battle that took place in which the Alien got fucked up by the Predator.

Then some years later we get 2 absolutely shite AvP films that just make the two creatures seem as scary as the Chuckle Brothers.

If we got a back story for the space jockey it would just ruin the mystique completely.

• Upvote 2

See, it really doesn't.

How fucking cool was it in Predator 2 when you saw a glimpse of the Alien trophy head in the Predator's ship?

Yeah, but the alien wouldn't have an endoskeleton, would it? That always bothered me. It has an exoskeleton - a carapace, like an ant. Not some bony bonce you can polish and put on a mantelpiece.

Needs space jockey.

No. As they can't really do the Earth War story anymore, I'd like something loosely derived from the Salvation comic set on some remote farm world colony. If only because the scene in Jurassic Park 2 where they're running through the field fleeing the raptors and disappearing one by one always struck me as something that should have been in an Alien film, somehow. Really play with the religious allegory and find a way to mix in some nice anti-corporatist message. And shoot the whole thing like a Terence Mallick film.

Well, there's a great film in there in my head. And I like the juxtaposition of the imagery we typically associate with the xenomorph and Mallick's method of making meditative filmic essays which comment on the relationship between Man and the natural environment he inhabits and the disruption that mankind brings to it.

Well, there's a great film in there in my head. And I like the juxtaposition of the imagery we typically associate with the xenomorph and Mallick's method of making meditative filmic essays which comment on the relationship between Man and the natural environment he inhabits and the disruption that mankind brings to it.

:o

Been reading a bit too many Edge magazines?