IGNORED

Nicolas Cage Thread of Trailers and Discussion

Steve McQueef

I think Edward Norton's career has fallen off a cliff. At least we got quintessential Samuel L Jackson in The Hateful Eight and a really interesting chameleon performance in Django Unchained. Birdman is all that Norton has left in years. I don't know why more of the interesting directors don't seek to work with some of these once great actors and bring the best out of them. Is it purely that other more current names will get their film financed ? There are other ageing greats that still do good work without selling their soul, like Robert Duvall and Jeff Bridges. 

49 minutes ago, d ebolenk said:

I think Edward Norton's career has fallen off a cliff. At least we got quintessential Samuel L Jackson in The Hateful Eight and a really interesting chameleon performance in Django Unchained. Birdman is all that Norton has left in years. I don't know why more of the interesting directors don't seek to work with some of these once great actors and bring the best out of them. Is it purely that other more current names will get their film financed ? There are other ageing greats that still do good work without selling their soul, like Robert Duvall and Jeff Bridges. 

I assume Jackson has a good working relationship with Tarantino, but other than that and him turning up in an eye patch and shouting occasionally our Sam hasn't been near the heights of his career in the late 90s/2000s. Maybe his style isn't in at the moment, maybe other actors are being considered before him. Maybe it's the selection of work,or the fact he'll seemingly make an appearance in anything these days and it's devaluing his star status. He has real presence and with the right direction and material he's still amazing. 

9 hours ago, d ebolenk said:

Recall an interview Norton did with Total Film some time in the mid-2000s and it was the wankiest load of pretentious bullshit I've ever read. Assuming he disappeared up his own arsehole shortly afterwards and is only occasionally finding the way out.

He's also got a rep for being hard work. Not quite Val Kilmer or Mike Myers levels, but guess that kind of rep makes people less willing to take a risk on you, especially when it's already a major challenge to get a film made.

9 hours ago, Vimster said:

I assume Jackson has a good working relationship with Tarantino, but other than that and him turning up in an eye patch and shouting occasionally our Sam hasn't been near the heights of his career in the late 90s/2000s. Maybe his style isn't in at the moment, maybe other actors are being considered before him. Maybe it's the selection of work,or the fact he'll seemingly make an appearance in anything these days and it's devaluing his star status. He has real presence and with the right direction and material he's still amazing. 

Oh I agree, he's wasted in superhero films, but seems to pick them for the hell of it and that he likes to constantly work, he doesn't seem picky at all (why do another xxx?), likes b movies and fun ideas and isn't particularly looking for meatier roles. But two great performances is still more than De Niro, Pacino have given us of late. Glass half full...

56 minutes ago, glb said:

Recall an interview Norton did with Total Film some time in the mid-2000s and it was the wankiest load of pretentious bullshit I've ever read. Assuming he disappeared up his own arsehole shortly afterwards and is only occasionally finding the way out.

He's also got a rep for being hard work. Not quite Val Kilmer or Mike Myers levels, but guess that kind of rep makes people less willing to take a risk on you, especially when it's already a major challenge to get a film made.

I didn't know Mike Myers was difficult. With Norton I ended up here 

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/45io77/why_wasnt_edward_nortons_career_as_big_and/

A lot of stories I already know. Tom Hardy is supposed to similarly be an outspoken perfectionist, though not to the extent of rewriting scripts and re editing films. 

Mike Myers supposedly got someone fired from a set because the guy made eye contact with him! I kind of want that to be true, even though it almost certainly isn't, because as much admiration as I have for the movie industry, a system of make believe barely held together at the seams as it is, I'm also fascinated by the gurgling underbelly and shade that gets thrown around. I mean, in an industry known to be full of ego and divas, to foster a rep for being difficult takes a special kind of dick personality and lack of self-awareness.

In fairness to Norton, don't think there's much wrong with striving for the best possible cut if you're that invested, but guess there's a time and a place and egos don't like other egos. Hopefully he'll make a comeback with David O' Russell, the hissy fits would be gold.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nicolas Cage is in talks to play Nicolas Cage in a movie about – wait for it – Nicolas Cage. The film is The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, and Cage would play a fictionalized version of himself having to reckon with his career choices while also getting mixed up in a plot involving the CIA and a drug cartel kingpin.

Cage’s entire career seems to have been building towards this very moment: THR says he’s in talks to play himself in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, a film that Lionsgate beat out HBO Max and Paramount to make. The plot sounds…wild, y’all. In the film, Nicolas Cage is desperate to land a role in a new Quentin Tarantino movie.  He’s also “dealing with a strained relationship with his teenage daughter. He also occasionally talks to an egotistical 1990s version of himself who rides him for making too many crappy movies and for not being a star anymore.”

Much like the real Cage, this movie Cage is “under a mountain of debt.” These debts force Cage to “make an appearance at the birthday party of a Mexican billionaire who happens to be a fan of Cage’s work and secretly hopes to show him a script on which he’s been working.”

While he bonds with the man, Cage is informed by the CIA that the billionaire is actually a drug cartel kingpin who has kidnapped the daughter of a Mexican presidential nominee, and is recruited by the U.S. government to get intelligence. The situation spirals even more dramatically when the Mexican brings over Cage’s daughter and his ex-wife for a reconciliation, and when their lives are on the line, Cage takes on the role of a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/nicolas-cage/285966/iconic-roles-recreated-in-new-film

Nicolas Cage to Recreate Con Air and Face/Off Roles for Bonkers New Film

Nicolas Cage will play Nicolas Cage in a new film about Nicolas Cage, called The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent.

oh, ‘sake...

Edited by SeanR
It’s been done...

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 31/10/2020 at 12:12, Loik V credern said:

I can't believe I'm still waiting to watch Sion Sono and Nicolas Cage's film together that Cage described as his 'most craziest film he's done'. With a deadly virus out there it is unacceptable the possibility I might die before I see it is higher. 

I watched my first Sion Sono film the last night, Love Exposure, and blimey it was some ride. The thought of him working with Cage is pretty damn awesome.

On 16/01/2021 at 11:31, Bazjam said:

I watched my first Sion Sono film the last night, Love Exposure, and blimey it was some ride. The thought of him working with Cage is pretty damn awesome.

My favourite of his is probably Why Don't You Play In Hell? Tokyo Tribe is also fun although i feel like i need to watch it again because i was expecting the best film ever and it didn't live up to that. 

He's more of a poet and loose i think with his direction, so has sequences where characters just seem to be flipping out at eachother in a nearly improvised way that can seem overwrought. I can be both a little bored and transfixed. But then there'll be sequences that just floor me in their surprise or escalation. I think i spent most of Strange Circus just thinking; what the fuck is this, jesus. 

His most recent Red Post on Escher Street is about a director doing auditions for his new romance indie film. You see all the different types of people attracted to do it and their stories, it spends 2 hours constantly switching characters. 

Most comparable to Love Exposure of all he's done i think. 

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

My favourite of his is probably Why Don't You Play In Hell? Tokyo Tribe is also fun although i feel like i need to watch it again because i was expecting the best film ever and it didn't live up to that. 

He's more of a poet and loose i think with his direction, so has sequences where characters just seem to be flipping out at eachother in a nearly improvised way that can seem overwrought. I can be both a little bored and transfixed. But then there'll be sequences that just floor me in their surprise or escalation. I think i spent most of Strange Circus just thinking; what the fuck is this, jesus. 

His most recent Red Post on Escher Street is about a director doing auditions for his new romance indie film. You see all the different types of people attracted to do it and their stories, it spends 2 hours constantly switching characters. 

Most comparable to Love Exposure of all he's done i think. 

Cheers for that. Will definitely check a few of those out.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/dec/31/call-me-a-thespian-not-an-actor-says-nicolas-cage

Nic would prefer to be called a thespian rather than an actor, and acknowledges it carries the risk of sounding like a pretentious a-hole. He figures being called an actor is the same as being called a liar, but a thespian is going deep inside themselves to bring something out. More like shamanism.

He acted fast to beat the bullies!!

Cage, whose real name is Nicolas Coppola, recalled his first acting experience on a school bus when he a friend were being bullied.

“One day I said ‘I’m gonna have to have some attitude’ and I put on some cowboy boots and a leather jacket and I started chewing gum. I said: ‘I’m not Nicky Coppola, I’m Roy Richardson, and if you don’t leave my friends alone, I’m gonna kick your ass.’”

Cage added: “That was a performance and that was the first time I think I could act because they left Nicky alone after that – it worked.”

:)