rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RJames

BBC Radio 1 Bank Holiday Games Weekend

sounds like a mortal kombat remix

It was both, did Streetfighter 2 then moved onto Mortal Kombat (was hoping SF2 would've lasted longer <_< )

Hm, wouldn't mind listening to it myself. I'm assuming it went up on iPlayer? (At work, so can't check myself.)

Cool, cheers for looking DangerM. I'll probably give it a whirl tonight whilst playing some (losing at) SF4.

The thread has gone but someone on here did a rather good games mix, live in Japan or something, mixing up breakcore and decent upbeat music from shooters. Anyone remember that?

I'm 13 minutes into this Jaguar Skills mix and thusfar I've heard no game music, just hip-hop acapellas over dance tracks.

I haven't listened to it, but i doubt its game 'related' for the whole 2 hours.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a bloody good mix this, maybe I was expecting too much.

The thread has gone but someone on here did a rather good games mix, live in Japan or something, mixing up breakcore and decent upbeat music from shooters. Anyone remember that?

I'm 13 minutes into this Jaguar Skills mix and thusfar I've heard no game music, just hip-hop acapellas over dance tracks.

There's loads of games music in it in - there's just more stuff from other sources, TV themes, pop music and such. It's a bit cheaper than DJ Yoda's stuff because it relies more heavily on noveltie than his mixes but it's still good stuff. There's a Guitar Hero megamix and a suite of Outrun themes, brilliant remixes of Pac-Man and Super Mario Brothers, adverts from GTA and even the Gamecube start-up jingle.

Gique's NYE set, by any chance?

The Jaguar Skill stuff usually ends up on this website for download...http://jaguarskills.blogspot.com/

No sign of this one yet but shouldnt be far off hopefully.

am i the only one that thought this awful? absolutely hated it tbh.

:)

it was kind of painful to listen to.

am i the only one that thought this awful? absolutely hated it tbh.

:)

it was kind of painful to listen to.

As a mix is was pretty good, very laptop/mashup, not sure how much of it he made himself and what he got off the internet though. Got sick and tired of the announcer very quickly, if he'd have said Jaguar Skills once more I'd have had to hunt him down and take his tongue out. The break-to-the-beat gameshow bit was suprememly tedious. I'd like to hear his straighter mixes. This could have been better at an hour, it did tend to sag in the 2-hour slot.

As a games mix though it did fail, although as I said I was expecting too much.

That mix was great, but needed more gaming-related goodness. Plus because Jaguar Skills was on Chris Moyles, the mix had a Moyles-y feel to it - which I didn't really appreciate.

Bit of an odd final list though.

1st. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

2nd. Football Manager 2009

3rd. Final Fantasy VII

4th. World of Warcraft

5th. Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

6th. GoldenEye 64

7th. Metal Gear Solid

8th. Halo III

9th. FIFA 09

10th. Grand Theft Auto IV

11. The Sims 2

12. Half Life II

13. Mario Kart

14. Counter-Strike

15. Fallout III

16. Deus Ex

17. Worms

18. Pokemon Red and Blue

19. Sensible World of Soccer

20. GTA Vice City

21. Half Life

22. Gears of War

23. Command & Conquer

24. BioShock

25. Halo: Combat Evolved

26. Sonic the Hedgehog

27. Championship Manager

28. Super Mario Kart

29. Resident Evil 4

30. Age of Empires II

31. Elite

32. Mario Kart 64

33. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

34. Street Fighter II

35. Super Mario 64

36. Tetris

37. Shenmue

38. Super Mario Galaxy

39. Halo

40. Super Mario World

41. Pro Evolution 2009

42. Left 4 Dead

43. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

44. Gran Turismo 4

45. StarCraft

46. Super Mario Bros

47. GTA III

48. Doom

49. SingStar

50. Day of the Tentacle

on careful contemplation, I have come to the conclusion that CoD4 is the greatest game ever made - closes followed by Footie Man 2009.

Yes. I've thought about it a lot and I think that's right.

Also, after significant re-play in the last 10 minutes, I reckon Halo:Combat Evolved is significantly better than Halo. I've no idea why Halo even made the charts. Sheesh.

Hah I was probably the only person who voted for Day Of The Tentacle.

Actually this game got mentioned a fair few times over the weekend including on the Jo Wiley show, so I guess there are more Day of the Tentacle fans out there than you might think.

Overall I thought the idea was pretty good. Perhaps not best to shoe-horn games into every show (after all it is a radio station mostly known for music), which is maybe why there was some resent from presenters with no interest in games (Trevor Nelson?). That said, it was interesting to get a view of games from the general public. On the shows I heard there were lots of people texting in with memories of playing SWOS, Worms, Monkey Island etc.

I think games make up such a large part of people's popular culture consumption these days that it is strange that many people don't talk about them socially, for example in the way people chat about movies or books. A games weekend like this where people reminisce about their favourite gaming moments is just one way that games are being brought into the public consciousness. While that might irk some of the more "hardcore" gamers out there, isn't there enough of our hobby to go round?

As it stands I think the top 50 list is pretty good. There is a fair mix of the famous and the critically acclaimed. Certainly many of my favourite games are represented (Shenmue, Mario Kart, OoT, Goldeneye).

If this had been a weekend of Cinema, I would have expected much of the same. I think we would have been likely to hear Limp Bizkit's MI2 theme rather than Angelo Badalamenti, but perhaps with some John Williams thrown in. I also expect that the top 50 films would include some horrible commercially successful rubbish (Love Actually) and some genuinely good cinema.

I just think some people have failed to realise that games exist outside of geeky internet forums.

No SotC, EPIC FAIL, and I voted for that as well.

Oh and look, no ICO either. EPIC EPIC EPIC FAIL.

Yeah, because they're really popular with the masses, aren't they?

Yeah, because they're really popular with the masses, aren't they?

Ah sorry I missed the 'Best 'Most Popular to the Masses' Game Ever title.

:angry: