Tony Hawk: Ride

mchugh

Activision are obviously going for the casual market with this one. I can already think of a few friends at work who will certainly get this for that controller alone and not having to use a pad. Bit of a gimmick but I can see this doing quite well for activision, I probably wont be getting it as I havent bothered with the Tony Hawks series since number 3. The first one on Dreamcast is still the best imo, hopefully it will get released on Live Arcade and PSN someday.

I also note you can do "real" 180s when on the board. Has anyone notice that if you are looking at a TV and turn 180 degrees then you are no longer looking at the TV

you are allowed to turn your head you know. :lol:

I also note you can do "real" 180s when on the board. Has anyone notice that if you are looking at a TV and turn 180 degrees then you are no longer looking at the TV

Have you noticed that when skaters do a 180, the boards direction of movement doesn't miraculously change and fling them to their death? Also, that your head can turn the other way ??? :lol:

Have you noticed that when skaters do a 180, the boards direction of movement doesn't miraculously change and fling them to their death? Also, that your head can turn the other way ??? :lol:

What, turn my head 180 degrees, are you all fucking Owls or something ?

How do you ride a skateboard? Do you have both feet together, side by side on the board, with you facing the direction of travel?

This is why your pro-skating career never took off.

With the controller, if it is sturdy enough and has enough pop, you could probably pull of most/all flip/spin tricks. Probably won't get you a high score though.

You can just play like the blonde, parallel with the screen :lol:

before seeing the video I thought they would never go for tail pivoting, sliding etc, on the grounds of it being just too dangerous in the house..

this is going to be youtube GOLD.

deadpool for how many days before first fatality? (you know it will be in the US)

Say they make a solid game out of this. Surely its success rests on price.

I may pay £60 at a push, ideally I don't want to pay more than £50 but have a feeling it may be rather expensive. Also is it patented? Could EA for example make SKAT3 ( because it is like so rad) work with it? Could Ubisoft make a game that uses it? Could we get Microsoft FIT360? Or is it an exclusive peripheral for this one game? Or just Activision games alone?

I'm kind of intrigued by this. I used to skate a bit during my mid teens, and I used to love dicking about with just a deck practicing heelflips and ridiculous moves without the added difficulty of moving at speed over concrete. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out, I haven't played a skating game since THPS3 on the PS2.

With the controller, if it is sturdy enough and has enough pop, you could probably pull of most/all flip/spin tricks. Probably won't get you a high score though.

I look forward to trying a 360 triple heelflip

This peripheral would actually seem to get in the way of what Tony Hawk's is about - namely impossible combos.

before seeing the video I thought they would never go for tail pivoting, sliding etc, on the grounds of it being just too dangerous in the house..

this is going to be youtube GOLD.

deadpool for how many days before first fatality? (you know it will be in the US)

Exactly what I thought. How long before the whole "wiimote through the Tv screen" style videos start appearing as idiots get carried away using it.

Looking at the game, it seems that Tony Hawk's (and skateboarding in general) is stuck in some 90s timewarp. Still using the same old fish eye lenses, still the same old crappy "frat rock" music, same old half pipes. Maybe that's the problem with skateboarding in general- there's only so much you can do with it. Maybe the previous poster was right- they should make it ridiculously arcadey and OTT- make you do things you just cannot do in real life. In all honesty, it's like Guitar Hero- if I wanted to play guitar, I'd pick up a guitar and play it. If I wanted to skateboard- I'd pick up a skateboard and use it (except I can't skate- but I can play guitar.. ;-) )

I fear this will be released to an almighty "meh". Like the past 5 have...

This is where the usual Activision = Old EA comparison comes in, but they really are becoming sloppy in their updates. The game itself looks really shit- and the controller just doesn't look right when it's being used.

Oh, and I loved THPS 1 and 2... especially 2 on the DC

I loved the first three Tony Hawk games. In fact in terms of what I'd like I'd just love them to regress back to that format. Tight skate parks with the two minute time limit. Probably not a real skate fans ideal game, but it was perfect arcade style one more go gaming for me.

o/\o

If they just did that I'd be very happy. All their attempts at innovation have just made the series worse, bloated, unplayable. Project 8 went back towards it but even that had too much excess crap. Of course idiots people expect more and more with each new game to the point where a the tight, elegant, playable skating game from 2001 isn't enough.

If they did a THPS3-style XBLA game and let you buy extra parks as DLC I'd be 120% up for that.

Exactly what I thought. How long before the whole "wiimote through the Tv screen" style videos start appearing as idiots get carried away using it.

NEW supporting peripheral - the TV cage! Comes in Wii, PS3 and 360 variations, will only work exclusively with said machine.

I haven't played it, but I've heard that THPS2X is one of the best Hawk games out there. It'd be nice to see it on Xbox Originals someday, as I loved vanilla THPS2.

I had a dream last night in which I was trying to remember the name to the sequel to Project 8.

and my subconsious brain did come up with

Tony HawX, or THX for short (X=10, geddit)

but Pro8 wasn't 9, was it?

I'm all confused now.

Project 8 was the eighth, and then there was, er, Proving Ground or something? (oh, and "shave" just in case.)

I think there's still a chance that the game itself could be good, the skateboard could be a way of cutting the rest of the crap out and getting back to what made the games fun. But then on the flip side, a stripped down Tony Hawk would get people saying it had been dumbed down, so maybe they can't win?

Personally, I loved the first, couldn't get into the second, but the third was my favourite and I think the series' highpoint.

The DS games were really good, much more like the old style games, though I seem to be the only person who loved Downhill Jam on the DS. The Wii version, mind, was pure shit in a box.

It's an Xbox exclusive! In the UK at least.

Activision has revealed that Tony Hawk: RIDE will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 in the UK.

The game was revealed late last week for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii, but Microsoft has seemingly grabbed the highly-anticipated title for itself in the region.

"Further to Monday's announcement regarding Tony Hawk: RIDE, Activision UK is pleased to announce that this title will be launched later this year in the UK, as an Xbox 360 platform exclusive," said the company.

The game is a reinvention of one of Activision's biggest franchises, and will ship complete with a skateboard peripheral when it's released later this year.

The exclusivity deal will be a seen as a blow to Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii during the busy Christmas period, although Activision has not detailed whether the title will be released on other formats at a later date.

The title is due to be demoed at E3 in June

That's all a bit, well, odd. Can't say I'm fussed. Like most people, the early Tony Hawks were somewhat of a revelation (who knew a skateboarding game could be so compulsive), but they have become progressively worse. Can't see wobbling around on a bit of plastic is really going to trouble Skate anytime soon.

That's all a bit, well, odd.

Makes sense, given the success of Wii Fit, since the board can be used in the same way as the Wii Fit one. Making it more difficult for Sony to access that market in Europe is a good idea. Expect Microsoft to have a fitness game at E3.

Makes sense, given the success of Wii Fit, since the board can be used in the same way as the Wii Fit one. Making it more difficult for Sony to access that market in Europe is a good idea. Expect Microsoft to have a fitness game at E3.

Using a skateboard-shaped peripheral? Also: going after exactly the same market as the competitor is...a bit fucking stupid sometimes.

Its NOT exlusive.

The statement isn't definitive about that, sounds like it's a timed exclusive, rather than only available on X360 forever. Man, the console wars are getting rather niche in terms of the exclusivity deals these days :lol: , maybe Microsoft are cutting back on the warchest expenditure and couldn't afford to offer a Rock Band-type deal for the whole of Europe.