IGNORED

What is it about CoD 4 MP that clicked with you.

snowbind

Never touched the multiplayer. I can't aim for shit in these games as it is, without going up against battle-hardened vets with superior equipment to boot.

Stap on an M16, make sure you have Bullet Damage and Deep Impact on your Perks, and I guarantee you will get kills. Once you've unlocked the Red Dot Sight for the M16, you'll be flying!

I can't stress how well the game is balanced.

I prefer hardcore, but that's mostly because of the bullet damage. If you make a mistake there, you're dead, which makes it more tense than in normal. Not only that, but killing someone with just a few shots is just more satisfying than having to use a whole clip of ammo.

A whole clip!? I usually only press reload after my third kill. Never know who's gonna step up.

By the way, I dont have any problem with camping, I just see it as a pointless tactic in the gametypes I play

Nonsense. Camping has only one benefit

By the way, I dont have any problem with camping, I just see it as a pointless tactic in the gametypes I play

Nonsense! Having a good camper on team can be a real benefit in any number of game types! Defending any objective , that's camping right there.

If youre team is going one way one player left camping the bottleneck the other team is likely to come through either a: because they have been flushed out of their spawn or b: are trying to get behind or flank the team.

In some places one guy can stop a whole enemy team from moving through one part of the map.

A good sniper , an asset to any team on many maps is a camper by nature.

I think it is a case of balance. A good sniper watching over you can be essential. The problem arises when you have people camping in positions that hold no strategic advantage, but gets kills. I think it does boil down to what Kerraig said about how you approach the game. I like to play as part of a squad. I hold no weight to my ratio unless in free-for-all, although it isn't a shit. It is about the team. For my first prestige I played nothing but dominatation and 9 times out of 10 would be that guy, who runs all the way across the map to secure a point or stop it being taken over. At times it feels like you are winning the game single handedly because there are too many people just concentrating on kills and not the problem at hand. There is nothing worse than trying to take bases all game, loosing by 75-100 points then seeing a member of your team with a 30+ kill count.

As for the single player. If you havn't played it, you really ought too. It is a roller coaster ride of awesomeness. It really is. The narrative is so brilliantly entwined within the game play. It tells a very distinct story that resonates with a lot of modern world events, it draws the player in to the eilte world of badassery and genuinely provides some jaw dropping moments. Actually thinking about it. I am going to start a new campaign now. It will be worth a playthrough before MW2 and thnking about it, I never actually played the campaign through on my HD telly :angry:

I'm usually Lord of the Camp on my team, but I let my team know where I am going to be, so they know they are covered if the enemy comes from that direction and they are free to leg it round the other way. This works well on the circular maps (Crash, Backlot, Overgrown, etc.) where I can cover a small region, but cover it well.

I can understand why people don't like campers, but smart players can deal with them. I get annoyed by people who continuously run into the same spots where an enemy is known to be watching the doorway and then proceed to get killed.

As an aside, I also get annoyed when people don't listen to me telling them exactly where an enemy claymore is (due to the superb 5.1 sound design).

Ah yes, those people who at the start of every round of S&Dsprint off to the exact point where someone on the other team is lobbing grenades and die. You'd think after the first time they'd learn, but no, they go pack again and again (and again in the case of a deciding sudden death round).

Prestige Mode

The constant levelling up and gaining of XP is probably the icing on the big bullet shaped cake for me. I have a ritualistic approach to levelling up now. I make sure I use every gun up to Marksman level 3 and do my best to use the perk in such a way that I unlock most of the challenges between levels 1 and 55. I get enough kills with each gun to unlock a level then move on to the next. By the time I get in to the mid Level 40s I have most of my guns sitting with 140+ kills and then use the 1000XP bonus to level up a little faster. I'm completely OCD'ed about it.

That I can play without a headset and many others choose to play this way without ruining the game is another big pull. Putting a headset on usually just results in you hearing the best guy in the team pissing and moaning at everyone else when they lose.

I really only play Team Deathmatch on normal and it's the simple fact that I can be in a game less than a minute after putting the disc in the tray that keeps me coming back to it. Unfortunatley the game has been out for so long and is so popular that certain tactics for winning have become commonplace even though they are maybe against the spirit of the game. Lobbing grenades across the map completely blind and staying camped behind a wall the whole game annoys me but not enough to put me off playing. In other games these would be gamebreaking tactics but COD4 surpasses even when people need to play like cunts just to win.

Lobbing grenades across the map completely blind and staying camped behind a wall the whole game annoys me but not enough to put me off playing.

Countdown is one of the worst maps for this - folk who camp in the back of hangers, or worse yet that little dark spot along the side wall near the cargo crates. The reason it doesn't get overly frustrating is that those sort of tactics rarely win you matches, killcam has a lot to do with that.

Countdown is one of the worst maps for this - folk who camp in the back of hangers, or worse yet that little dark spot along the side wall near the cargo crates. The reason it doesn't get overly frustrating is that those sort of tactics rarely win you matches, killcam has a lot to do with that.

this is where smoke proves itself to be such a great addition. On countdown i always throw a snoke over those crates every time i spawn and it makes their camp spot almost completely ineffective

They're so easy to avoid being shot by though, and you can just sneak up on them and stab them in the face. Which is why I don't have a problem with people camping.

I don't get people's problems with campers, especially on CoD4 where the kill cam helps the guy who died tell his team mates where the camper is. Spawn camping is another thing, but what's wrong with staying in one place and picking people off?

They're so easy to avoid being shot by though, and you can just sneak up on them and stab them in the face. Which is why I don't have a problem with people camping.

Or use the ol' trusty RPD w/ grip to get them from distance. That thing is a sniper's/camper's bane.

After the gentle persuasion in this thread I decided to give the multiplayer a spin. Thanks to COD4's ranking system showing I have the worst aim out of everyone on my friends list, I now have statistical proof that I am utterly terrible at video games. So thanks for that, everyone.

It's a bit compulsive, isn't it? Even though I spent most my time yelling at the screen when I'd stand on a mine, trigger a trip wire, get my throat slit, have a sniper ventilate my head or be just plain shot to shit within seconds of spawning I still raised a couple levels.

After the gentle persuasion in this thread I decided to give the multiplayer a spin. Thanks to COD4's ranking system showing I have the worst aim out of everyone on my friends list, I now have statistical proof that I am utterly terrible at video games. So thanks for that, everyone.

It's a bit compulsive, isn't it? Even though I spent most my time yelling at the screen when I'd stand on a mine, trigger a trip wire, get my throat slit, have a sniper ventilate my head or be just plain shot to shit within seconds of spawning I still raised a couple levels.

That's a useless statistic. Any player with a really high accuracy % obviously doesn't use suppressing/cover fire.

Indeed it is. A lot of the game is positioning and awareness over how fast you can spin your gun around to meet the enemy. And besides, and gun should always be pointing where the enemy is most likely to come from, nowhere else.

That's a useless statistic. Any player with a really high accuracy % obviously doesn't use suppressing/cover fire.

Indeed it is. A lot of the game is positioning and awareness over how fast you can spin your gun around to meet the enemy. And besides, and gun should always be pointing where the enemy is most likely to come from, nowhere else.

This is true, but it a stat all the same and due to this can be manipulated. Mine used to hover around 12% as I used to be bullet happy laying down fire all the time. Then when I did the RPD and Saw challenges it dipped to like 10% So I have been trying to get it higher, want to hit 20% if I can. Atm it's just under 17% Another compulsion of CoD I guess.

As for Countdown, that is one of my favorite maps. It flows really well. Campers are easy to spot as everywhere is pretty open, apart from the Hangars, but a flash or smoke and you are good to storm it.

This is true, but it a stat all the same and due to this can be manipulated. Mine used to hover around 12% as I used to be bullet happy laying down fire all the time. Then when I did the RPD and Saw challenges it dipped to like 10% So I have been trying to get it higher, want to hit 20% if I can. Atm it's just under 17% Another compulsion of CoD I guess.

As for Countdown, that is one of my favorite maps. It flows really well. Campers are easy to spot as everywhere is pretty open, apart from the Hangars, but a flash or smoke and you are good to storm it.

I imagine mine is less than 15%, but I never check it so I don't know for sure. I even use the Barrett for suppressing fire. That deep thud tends to keep peoples heads down, unless they know (think) they're in cover :(

On Countdown a single sniper who's well aware of his surroundings and anyone trying to sneak up can deny the enemy use of two of the bunkers.

If you want to raise your accuracy, the quickest way is to snipe.

That pretty much ensures that 7 times out of 10 your shots will hit someone.

Also, camping and sniping in this game is terrible. The combat radar on normal, as Timmo says, completely revolutionises FPS gaming. When I snipe I tend to do "Combat Sniping", I run around the map, I move from position to position, and use the radar to see where the enemies are. It got me a 36 kill streak on Bog, so it must work!

The discussion on camping here is interesting. It's a valid tactic, and if it's how you want to play, then go for it. However, you'll never dominate unless you learn to move from choke to choke, using the radar the whole time. Each map has a "flow", once you learn where people tend to gather, the quickest routes between choke points, and common paths for the enemy to take you can make sweeps around the map with your team (or even solo, tbh) and really hit the team where it hurts.

I know, I am just not a massive fan of sniping atm. I went through a stage of really enjoying it this prestige. But once I worked my way back into the M16 M4 Acog, I just couldn't be bothered with it.

1st time round all I did was go sniper, then I got shot of my 360 and about 6 months later got the itch and bought another one (just for COD4). This time (new gamertag) I really got into just using assault rifles. When I say "just" I mean I did all the other challenges etc but my pref was for a M16A with 3 stun, Stopping power and Extreme conditioning.

Now I tend to flit between an M16 and the M40A3 default sniper rifle (which in a wanky way I find to be the best sniper rifle). As others have said I think the beauty of this game is the maps... just the right mix, sight-lines that are not too biased etc. Wet Works is the only one that really does my tits in, it's just fucking pointless.

The two things I wished they'd done with the game: If you pull the pin on a frag and throw it, and as you throw it someone shoots you... that frag should still detonate. It pisses me off that just because you've been killed your frag has now just evaporated. Second, just a slight niggle. There should be a sweet spot on the helicopters... or at least damage in context. By that I mean being able to target the tail, the rotor mast, canopy etc to shoot the fucker down quicker.

Apart from that it's all peachy :hmm:

If you pull the pin on a frag and throw it, and as you throw it someone shoots you... that frag should still detonate. It pisses me off that just because you've been killed your frag has now just evaporated.

I imagine this was done to get rid of glory grenades¹. Of course Martyrdom is essentially just that, but perhaps maintaining the 'value' of that Perk was a consideration?

In general terms I think the real strength of CoD4's multiplayer was the... cohesiveness of it all. Getting into a game is easy, you're never waiting around that long or spending an age watching loading screens, plus there's the various unlocks, Classes and Challenges that tie everything together. In a lot of online games there's an obvious divide between playing the game and being in the menu waiting to play, but with Modern Warfare what would normally be downtime was all part of it; "I'm just changing my equipment", "Hang on, I'm seeing what new Challenges I have," "Wait a sec, I need to swap my Perks around". It also has constant positive reinforcement with each kill or useful action flashing a positive number up, and then at the end of the game you get to see that bar get a little higher and... damn, it's so close! Just one more game...

¹That's just what my friends and I used to call them in the original Halo. It's when you know you're going to die so you chuck a grenade at your feet/the wall.

The two things I wished they'd done with the game: If you pull the pin on a frag and throw it, and as you throw it someone shoots you... that frag should still detonate. It pisses me off that just because you've been killed your frag has now just evaporated.

I've definitely killed people with grenades thrown after I've been shot. There is a definite time gap as to when the nade will go off though.

The two things I wished they'd done with the game: If you pull the pin on a frag and throw it, and as you throw it someone shoots you... that frag should still detonate. It pisses me off that just because you've been killed your frag has now just evaporated.

It does... although you have to have held it for at least a second or so for it to work. I've definitely had some manual martyrdoms, although they're quite rare.

EDIT - WOT HE SED

There should be a sweet spot on the helicopters... or at least damage in context. By that I mean being able to target the tail, the rotor mast, canopy etc to shoot the fucker down quicker.

Yeah completely, especially after the SP mission where you do just that. First time round I kept waiting to get the Barret to one shot the chopper. I was well disappointed when it didn't happen.

I've definitely killed people with grenades thrown after I've been shot. There is a definite time gap as to when the nade will go off though.
It does... although you have to have held it for at least a second or so for it to work. I've definitely had some manual martyrdoms, although they're quite rare.

EDIT - WOT HE SED

Yeah just to be clear I'm taking about throwing a frag, seeing it leave you hand and land 15m away and then you getting shot/ killed and the frag does not detonate. I'm not talking about getting shot as you pull the pin and doing a DIY martyrdom. It's detonated a few times (like 3% or something stupid so I know it's possible. I just don't get why sometimes it will detonate and others it does nothing and essentially disappears.

Yeah just to be clear I'm taking about throwing a frag, seeing it leave you hand and land 15m away and then you getting shot/ killed and the frag does not detonate. I'm not talking about getting shot as you pull the pin and doing a DIY martyrdom. It's detonated a few times (like 3% or something stupid so I know it's possible. I just don't get why sometimes it will detonate and others it does nothing and essentially disappears.

I wonder if this is linked to your respawn time. If you respawn quickly, it may remove the grenade (like it removes your claymores).

It's nothing to do with respawn (it's the same in all modes, like ones where you don't respawn). It just doesn't work. You know the pin is pulled, you get your head blown off, no grenade.

It pisses me off too, but as said earlier, I suppose it's to maintain Martyrdom as a Perk.

It happens with RPGs too, doesn't it? Even if the rocket has left the tube, getting shot makes the rocket just vanish most of the time.