What is it about CoD 4 MP that clicked with you.

snowbind

It's as close to CS as I can get on my 360 = :(

(and I know it's MP diss in here but the SAS really added something to it for me as well)

"Nice! Your fruit killing skills are remarkable."

Brilliant game!

For me it wasn't just the sound and feel or authenticity of the weaponry, as some have mentioned but the setting, atmophere and story weren't forced into the game as some additional element - games like H3 and especially the Gears series would do well to ape considering all the time the respective studios of both seem to harp on about caring about story in the process of crafting the game.

Little touches in MP when the terrorist side you were playing for would egg you on when time was running out, stuff like, "we're going to lose the match" and all the other screams and shouts from the character you play when grenades are thrown and stuff like that give the game that added boost in the atmos. department that elevates it above so many other title's in the same genre. I also liked the nod to arcadey sensibilities the game had with the beautiful pop sound that would finish off a kill either at the end of your fully customisable gun or sneakily earned airstrike/helicopter dispatch.

In fact the sound direction in this game is probably up there with something like MGS4. Not something surprising when you consider the inclusion of input from composers like Harry Gregson William's excellently moody score on the main menu and you know you've got an icon in games' clothing...that is unless Modern Warfare 2 can best the original's in terms of the entire package.

I might give it a punt then.

I was of the understanding that the SP was a bit weak sauce, and the sole reason everyone loved COD4 so much was because of the MP aspect.

The single player game is an amazing experience. You know the episode of The Simpsons where Millhouse is playing Bonestorm, and the awesome force of the game is enought to blow him back into his chair? Modern Warfare is like that all the way through. It's like Black Hawk Down and Dog Soldiers had a baby together who inherited his looks from the former but his personality from the latter.

Never touched the multiplayer. I can't aim for shit in these games as it is, without going up against battle-hardened vets with superior equipment to boot.

I've dabbled in MP but I've never really enjoyed deathmatch type games. The single player is great, anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

EDIT: I tell a lie, I used to love day of defeat. Another game with amazing maps.

superior equipment to boot.

That's the beauty, really. Right from the start, you can have a red dot sight on your M16 and MP5s (which you start with) within an hour. From that point you're set, pretty much, and no-one has any advantage over you in a firefight. Apart from the 3 frag perk.

I don't know how people can prefer normal mode over hardcore. I love the fact a good couple of bullets, or even one shot properly can take you or the opposition down, just as in real life. Hitting an enemy multiple times to find he drops to the floor and spams you is not fun.

I agree with everything in this thread though, best online FPS ever for me. Rather than harp on about all the awesomeness (I still play it daily, trying to get all the achievements) lets just say I hope MW2 has a couple of Map packs released for it.

I do hate when I enter a new server and find it has people using last stand, marty and noob tubers though. Also I prefer games with 28 or less players, anymore and I feel it's too crowded, stop start.

I don't know how people can prefer normal mode over hardcore. I love the fact a good couple of bullets, or even one shot properly can take you or the opposition down, just as in real life. Hitting an enemy multiple times to find he drops to the floor and spams you is not fun.

I could say the opposite, and now I have a bit more time I'll explain.

The game has blatantly been built around the normal mode. This is very, very clear. It's all about the radar.

The CoD4 radar is pretty much the best thing to ever happen to multiplayer FPS's. It is there to keep you alive as long as possible, so long as you use your wits. It's there to give you information on the enemy.

No way is hardcore more 'realistic'. Not in the slightest. You can't even check how much ammo you have! It's a stripped-down mode. It has its place I guess, but it's little more than an afterthought, an aside. Nothing against people who prefer it, but they're usually the people who sit in the same three places for an entire match. I've racked up 30 kills from the same position in hardcore. Fun? Maybe for me (ish). A satisfying match all-round? No.

The radar represents your soldier's awareness and hearing. In real life you'll be able to work out where enemies are from the direction of sound coming from their weapon. Every time a red-dot appears on your radar you're seeing this represented. The green arrows of your team-mates I see as your soldier's awareness of where his allies are. Technology isn't such yet that you can get that information any other way. To play hardcore to any success you have to pause the game to look at where your allies are. There's just too little information.

The only way that hardcore is more realistic than normal is in bullet damage. And, again, it's clearly not what the game was designed for. Most perks are nullified in hardcore.

Normal keeps you thinking and keeps you alive if you use your head. You chose character Rambo.

Hardcore is a dirty campfest. It's the only way to stay alive. You chose character Jude Law from Enemy at the Gates.

All that said, I sometimes enjoy Hardcore for a deathmatch, so long as everyone communicates. It's still a bit broken, though.

I get the impression that a lot of people who complain about normal spend their time running around like a spanner, hoping to win 50/50s with people. You're playing it wrong. Use your noggin. Use the radar constantly, and work out where people are. On some maps it's amazing how accurately you can work out exactly where you're going to be attacked from. Say you're playing team deathmatch. Wait for them to come to you. Make the kill. And then the excitement begins, because now everyone knows where you are and you have to relocate or ready yourself for the next person or that first person after revenge. Maybe you'll make a dash to that room opposite and set up an ambush. Don't run around like a tool.

I might give it a punt then.

I was of the understanding that the SP was a bit weak sauce, and the sole reason everyone loved COD4 so much was because of the MP aspect.

I unashamedly love CoD4's singleplayer. Play it on Regular so as not to get frustrated (it is broken on Veteran but only twats play it on that anyway). It's short but no shorter than most other shooters and it's lean and superbly paced. It's like an action movie in FPS form basically.

I have to disagree with just about everything Timmo says except two points

The only way that hardcore is more realistic than normal is in bullet damage
You chose character Rambo.
re normal mode

yes rambo that most realistic of characters renowned for using his head to stay alive :(

People in real life situations DONT run around like that absorbing bullets if they do they die like hardcore, its fair enough if you dont like the more campy nature of HC but to say that its not more realistic is a bit silly. Your also overlooking the fucking ridiculous spamming that goes on because of team damage Off, yeah that's really realistic! You can even call an airstrike in on your own team!

The radar represents your soldier's awareness and hearing. In real life you'll be able to work out where enemies are from the direction of sound coming from their weapon.

Actually my eyes and ears represent my awareness, my surround sound allows me to know exactly what direction enemies are coming from and seeing their muzzle flashes lets me see where they are shooting from. The radar pinpointing them on the map for me is just shit. This is where silencers and dead silence really come into play. Some of my favourite moments in the game have been creeping through the house on overgrown listening out for movement, footsepts on wood above me, hearing them getting closer wondering if its friendly or hostile..." have we got anyone in 50 cal building?" "anyone?"

The radar and the kill cam while fun in some ways remove this amazing aspect from the game.

The green arrows of your team-mates I see as your soldier's awareness of where his allies are.

Again communication, the overview map if you really need it, and your own awareness does this, no need for the radar.

Normal keeps you thinking and keeps you alive if you use your head.

Normal mode eliminates alot of the thinking i enjoy about hardcore, but if you use your head in either mode your obviously going to do better.

Hardcore is a dirty campfest. It's the only way to stay alive.

Im a camper its true but i am constantly getting killed by really good players who run and gun in hardcore, the difference is you actually have to be good to do this successfully. A good player will beat a camper every time even in hardcore.

I have to disagree with just about everything Timmo says except two points

re normal mode

yes rambo that most realistic of characters renowned for using his head to stay alive :angry:

Erm, have you not seen the first Rambo film? That's pretty much exactly what he does whilst constantly relocating to outwit them.

People in real life situations DONT run around like that absorbing bullets if they do they die like hardcore, its fair enough if you dont like the more campy nature of HC but to say that its not more realistic is a bit silly. Your also overlooking the fucking ridiculous spamming that goes on because of team damage Off, yeah that's really realistic! You can even call an airstrike in on your own team!

You're arguing with the one point I conceded - bullets are more damaging, yes. But that isn't about realism, it's about fun. And unless you're a camper (which you admit you are), it's more fun. Friendly fire being off is a fair point yes. That's something Hardcore is better for. It helps you stay alove for longer though, and is ideal for lone-wolfing. The safety net of knowing when you die it's your own fault and no-other idiot tema killing you is good when playing alone. That's a slightly rubbish argument I know, friendly fire should be on.

Actually my eyes and ears represent my awareness, my surround sound allows me to know exactly what direction enemies are coming from and seeing their muzzle flashes lets me see where they are shooting from. The radar pinpointing them on the map for me is just shit. This is where silencers and dead silence really come into play. Some of my favourite moments in the game have been creeping through the house on overgrown listening out for movement, footsepts on wood above me, hearing them getting closer wondering if its friendly or hostile..." have we got anyone in 50 cal building?" "anyone?"

You still get these moments. That's what silencers and UAV jammers are for.

The radar and the kill cam while fun in some ways remove this amazing aspect from the game.

No they don't. Silencers and UAV jammers mean you have to be on your toes at all times, and if you want to play as a ghost then you can. But you've got to take a hit for a it, and your bullets do less damage.

Again communication, the overview map if you really need it, and your own awareness does this, no need for the radar.

There really, really is. The radar sets this game apart. Hardcore is just Counterstrike deathmatch.

Normal mode eliminates alot of the thinking i enjoy about hardcore, but if you use your head in either mode your obviously going to do better.

Maybe I can see where you're coming from. Hardcore is much, much more slower paced, and you can take a moment to really work out where the enemy is coming from, where you can set traps etc.

Im a camper its true but i am constantly getting killed by really good players who run and gun in hardcore, the difference is you actually have to be good to do this successfully. A good player will beat a camper every time even in hardcore.

Just not true! I've spent enough hours in it to know run and gunners get nowhere. There's simply not enough information given to you.

We could argue these points all day, but it all comes down to one thing - camping. You readily admit that you'll happily sit in the same place picking people off. Fair enough, enjoy hardcore. But CoD4 made leaps and bounds in making camping obselete, and they've done it absolutely brilliantly with the normal mode. I hate camping, and CoD4 has destroyed it.

But I'll only play the single player campaign - I heard that was rather short. Is it worth getting just for that?

Yes, absolutely without a doubt. A few annoying moments inamongst some spectacular action gameplay and great setpieces, which may actually surprise you. The multiplayer is really great though, I play it on 360 and PC :angry:

Also, camping makes perfect sense as a playstyle. End of. Every tactic has an equal opposing tactic which can be employed to nullify it. The only people that truly get the raw end of the stick at the hands of campers are those who run around without much awareness of their surroundings.

I forgot to mention Mile High Club on vet = fantastic and one hell of a cool bonus level.

SAS Leader: We're going deep and we're going hard

US Ranger: Surely, you can't be serious?

SAS Leader: I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.

That had me in stiches for hours :angry:

Nice response Timmo (your not my Finnish second cousin by chance are you? :angry: ). I do agree with your points, I wish however that in normal sometimes it didn't take quite so many bullets with a good gun and aim. I love having a proper stealth set up, watching in team death match as the two teams circle around certain maps. I go in the opposite direction, and set up traps and take out incoming groups of players.

All in all COD4 is pretty damn near perfect, and if the talk of MW2 having gone the extra mile, I can see me playing that for another couple of years too (Treyarchs next effort can lick my balls).

Nice response Timmo (your not my Finnish second cousin by chance are you? :angry: ). I do agree with your points, I wish however that in normal sometimes it didn't take quite so many bullets with a good gun and aim. I love having a proper stealth set up, watching in team death match as the two teams circle around certain maps. I go in the opposite direction, and set up traps and take out incoming groups of players.

All in all COD4 is pretty damn near perfect, and if the talk of MW2 having gone the extra mile, I can see me playing that for another couple of years too (Treyarchs next effort can lick my balls).

Kova pisto.

a big ppppffft! to everyone who whines like a little girl about campers. last time I looked, this wasn't the 1800's where we all lined up and shot at one another in the middle of a field. camping is part of the game, just like the perk selection. everyone has a favorite weapon and a style that they play (mine changes dependent on the map).

I really hope that infinity ward pushes the envelope again with MW2 and would love to see something awarded for higher kill streaks. and I don't view "chaining" as cheating since it's the only reward left once you've called in the dogs, sorry... a helicopter. :angry:

a big ppppffft! to everyone who whines like a little girl about campers. last time I looked, this wasn't the 1800's where we all lined up and shot at one another in the middle of a field. camping is part of the game, just like the perk selection. everyone has a favorite weapon and a style that they play (mine changes dependent on the map).

Who's arguing that this game on normal is about running down the street firing in all directions? I'm really not sure who you're addressing here.

My favourite games on CoD4 are 3v3. You get six good players playing team deathmatch on normal and it's like a game of chess. On hardcore it's who moves the least.

Well said Ratkos, it really makes me laugh, this is a game that includes sniper rifles, gilly suits, UAV jammers , silences, dead silence and claymores so saying that normal mode makes camping harder is pretty pointless, in alot of ways camping is easier in normal mode because you can use the "move and wait for them to come and kill you" technique.

Besides camping only works against stupid players :angry: Which makes it even more fun :wub:

in alot of ways camping is easier in normal mode because you can use the "move and wait for them to come and kill you" technique.

Just... no. That's a ludicrous argument. You'll have multiple people coming for you in normal from your red dot, whereas in hardcore only the person after you knows you're there. And if you use a silencer to hide yourself you're going to struggle at mid-range. It's perfectly balanced, unlike hardcore.

Edit - sorry if this all sounds a bit aggressive, it isn't.

I prefer hardcore, but that's mostly because of the bullet damage. If you make a mistake there, you're dead, which makes it more tense than in normal. Not only that, but killing someone with just a few shots is just more satisfying than having to use a whole clip of ammo.

I'm also far from a camper. I just use those sneaky, small passages on the side where there's a bit more control. Setting up some mines here and there, trying to infiltrate the other side as far as possible... It's just a well-made game and the level up system certainly helps, as people already said.

If you ain't using a silencer its hardly camping very well! Then the only person who knows your there is the person you killed. Hence my point.

And why would I be worried about mid range when im sat behind a door waiting for you to come charging through.

I propose that it is your argument and your rebuttal are ludicrous.

In fact....

you have to relocate or ready yourself for the next person or that first person after revenge. Maybe you'll make a dash to that room opposite and set up an ambush
your words I believe

hmmm ambush, if someone did that to me I might even think they were using the "move and wait for them to come back" type camping :angry:

But I'll only play the single player campaign - I heard that was rather short. Is it worth getting just for that?

Absolutely. It has plenty of holy shit, did that really just happen? moments. Many of those will be something you've done, too :angry:

I'm not sure if it's going to be connected in any way, but Modern Warfare 2 is probably going to be GOTY for 2009. It'll be good for you to have played and experienced MW1 before that comes out (around November).

Why will you only play SP?

Yes, absolutely without a doubt. A few annoying moments inamongst some spectacular action gameplay and great setpieces, which may actually surprise you. The multiplayer is really great though, I play it on 360 and PC :angry:

Also, camping makes perfect sense as a playstyle. End of. Every tactic has an equal opposing tactic which can be employed to nullify it. The only people that truly get the raw end of the stick at the hands of campers are those who run around without much awareness of their surroundings.

Nonsense. Camping has only one benefit, and that is getting cheap kills on for yourself. Non hardcore Cod4 isnt even about getting kills. i can still win a match with only 4 kills and 15 deaths. Because I kept the enemy away from objectives with smart play. Campers dont help their team at all with objective based games, they drag the teams spawn back and make achieving objectives harder with their lack of teamwork. i'd even argue they don't help their team in Deathmatch because while they might have a good score one of their teammates might be dying more than neccessary due to lack of backup.

I'm all about team play, just last night I had my life saved several times by Skeez in a domination game, and likewise saved him a good few times. Had i been hid behind a door waiting for someone to walk through Skeez would have been giblets.