What is it about CoD 4 MP that clicked with you.

snowbind

After reading all the stuff over the last few days bout MW2, it got me thinking what is it about CoD 4 MP that I really like. Of all the games I have ever played it is the one I have played the most online, bar possibly CS and all it's iterations. But comparing time scales I have played it in a more consistent manner. It clicked with me far more than Halo 2 and 3. More than any other war shooter and still after weeks worth of online play, I go back to it.

I love the load out and perk system. It allows for a completely tailored and tweaked player configuration. Whilst remaining, pretty balanced(yes hip-sniping, but I'll ignore that.) The load out system never punishes the player for dying, it allows people to adapt to different situations and scenarios and it never allows players to dominate a map because they got to the power weapons first.

The maps are tight and well thought out. They keep combat focused and flowing, whilst providing escapes, cover and flanking. The action is never far away and rarely are you ever alone for too long. The maps look beautiful, they have awesome Lod's and feel complete and expansive, whilst being held in a distinct gaming area.

The online play is handled well. Matchmaking never really feels like a chore. Games can take a while to find, but more times than not, you can be in a game, mere minutes after powering up the 360. The community itself is pretty good, yes there are cunts and bellends. But in general it's an ok place to be.

But mostly it is the in game moments. The times where you throw a blind grenade and the 10xp appears. The counter movement. The full map head shots. The adrenaline fuelled burst when your 50 points down with a minute to go. The running and jumping. The stealth knife to the back of someone's head. The hot swap to a pistol kill when your clip has run dry. It is just sublime and one of my favourite games of all time :)

Tracking, second guessing the enemy, and then punching a .50cal round through two walls and blowing some fuckers brains all over the floor.

But seriously, everything about it. It's just so solid.

The balance of the weapons which allows for infinite variations in how you play the game, and the pace and feel of it - it's just so fast and smooth compared to other online FPS games. The maps are almost all really well laid out too with a lot of thought put into placement of buildings, objects, vantage points etc. compared to WaW, which screwed this aspect up badly.

Everything stated in the original post - the tightly designed maps, perks, XP, controls, etc.

Case in point about the maps, I got World at War when it came out and it should be just the same with the XP and perks but I couldn't get into it at all and I'm putting it down to the maps which don't feel as well designed and are a bit too big.

Everything stated in the original post - the tightly designed maps, perks, XP, controls, etc.

Case in point about the maps, I got World at War when it came out and it should be just the same with the XP and perks but I couldn't get into it at all and I'm putting it down to the maps which don't feel as well designed and are a bit too big.

The best map in WaW is the hangar map, which is a focused map which is very CS/Cod4. The problem is that in most of them, everything is just strewn higgeldy piggeldy with no flow, rhyme, or reason. And they're too big. In all but a few maps on 4, the maps are designed in such a way that there are loads of natural points where pitch battles occur, or where tactical players can spread out to cover teammates capturing an objective. Things like that. WaW also seems not run as smoothly - I think that is just down to crapper animation.

I seriously think without the levelling up system it wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular. That was the biggest reason if you ask me.

I completely forgot about this when writing that opening and am not sure how I did. I have never played MMO's because I think they are balls, but I can understand how people get addicted to them. The levelling up process just adds another level of depth to the awesomeness and keeps you coming back for more.

Let's make this a normal vs. hardcore debate.

I argue that the whole game is built around normal, and hardcore is an afterthought. I'll make proper arguments later.

Commence!

I'm one of those people who agrees with this. I've been playing a lot of hardcore HQ though, since it's a newer playlist, and it works quite well, much better than regular HQ mode as it cuts out the grenade spamming of that mode, to an extent, and turns it into a more tactical game.

I like either mode, but normal has more of those exciting moments where with a screen full of red you kill a guy with the last round in your clip.

One other thing I like about it (not saying it's restricted to just this game, but y'know....) is if I like then I can play a no-brain-required deathmatch or team deathmatch where I don't have to plug my headset in or communicate in any way, or I can go for the more tense, thoughtful approach with a game of Search & Destroy.

I was really late to start with CoD4, really only a month or two ago. While initially I did not enjoy getting gunned down by people with better gear than me, the spacing of rewards kept me playing and the feeling of improving as the gear improved helped me loads.

The good thing was that all guns happened to be lethal, so you did not think the gun you got utterly sucked. You always knew that the gun you had in your hands sounded pretty meaty and would happily drop people in a few shots.

The unlocking the perks also helped you feel a little bit more bad-ass. I do think that some perks felt utterly wasted, especially in games where people don't speak a word. The ever so cheap Martyrdom felt dirty to use but it would help you get cheap kills and level up at a faster pace.:)

I wont get into the HC/Normal debate as I pretty much only play hardcore.

As mentioned above its the solidity, the net code is good, the shooting code is REALLY good, it all just feels 'right'. Playing other FPS games is now worse because of COD4.

The levelling up, perks system is great.

A few things i`d like to see is more stats / replays / awards every match like halo 3. Id like the game to let me know how badass I am EVERYTIME I snipe two people in one shot etc. And there are some great moments that REALLY need to be imortalised! So after the match recordings would be ideal.

For me, it was all about the kill-cam. CoD4 was the first online game where I started pulling my weight, because I was able to actually learn from my mistakes. And instead of getting pissed off every time I died, thinking it was unfair, I could clearly see that I was playing like a fucking idiot.

The well designed maps. That was the major difference between COD4 and WaW. The maps in WaW were just open messes, while every inch of COD4 maps just seem right,

Every point in every Cod4 map leaves you vunerable in some way, and presents an advantage in another. They're fantastic.

I remember my first game playing the beta on Vacant. It felt like being in a real battle. Proper scary, to the point where I just wanted to find a corner and hide, like Upham from Saving Private Ryan.

It took me a while to get into the MP game when it came out though. I think playing with a group of friends helped immensely and discovering hardcore, of course.

I think it was only after my 3rd prestige that it "clicked" though. By that time, I knew the maps, I knew where I could run to from the start, where the choke points where, etc.

Everything about it. The feel and look of the guns for example- before COD4 came out, even though I enjoyed the beta- I thought Halo 3 would dominate me as 2 did before it. I had a massive history with Halo and once that came out I forgot all about COD4.

About a month or two after launch, I picked up COD4 and after so many of Halo's iconic but contained fictional weaponry, running around with a proper M4, M16, R700, M21, USP- just the look and feel the guns were amazing. Being able to kit them out with sights or silencers or scopes- brilliant.

Next was the dropping of the top trumps system which I was so used too. In Halo 3 skill played a majority of the part but obviously your chances were better if you had an overshield and a rocket launcher or something. COD4 you picked your balanced loadout before battle and made the best of it. This took the "ooh gotta get to the part of the map with this weapon" and made it more about my immediate surroundings, choke points, hiding holes etc.

The maps, perks, levelling up, the xp popping up with every kills making it satisfactory, being able to have massive kill streaks without having to be a super duper expert of jammy wanker (thank you airstrikes and chopperrss)-all in all felt brilliant.

I missed the start of the COD4 party last time, but with MW2 I'll be there on day one and drop any other shooter- nothing can come near it to me for all it's elements. Nothing.

I started it late and saw people using a gun i liked...instantly gave me a mission, to earn it. So satisfying. The spectator cam is brilliant, so immediate and cleverly implemented, and cultivates a compelling yet sporting reason to want to get revenge..then you lose focus and go after that bloke, only to be killed stupidly.

Then I got into the perks and started earning airstrikes, super satisfying. The controls are pure silk..the way the analogue stick handles turning and acceleration is just perfect, unlike halo 3's poor effort. Enjoyed the levelling up but as soon as i earned my fave gun, in a good colour with the laser site i forgot about it, i was happy.

I've never played it.

In fact I've never seen it played or watched any vids of it.

Trufax

Get yourself down gamestation with a handful of pounds and swap them for the most fun you'll have in AGES.

Unless you visit the Thai massage place around the corner.

Get yourself down gamestation with a handful of pounds and swap them for the most fun you'll have in AGES.

Unless you visit the Thai massage place around the corner.

But I'll only play the single player campaign - I heard that was rather short. Is it worth getting just for that?

But I'll only play the single player campaign - I heard that was rather short. Is it worth getting just for that?

It's all about the quality of the story. There is no padding of the experience at all. It doesn't need it. It's the kind of single player game from which you get epic stories of heroism to tell.

"You remember that bit when..."

It's all about the quality of the story. There is no padding of the experience at all. It doesn't need it. It's the kind of single player game from which you get epic stories of heroism to tell.

"You remember that bit when..."

I might give it a punt then.

I was of the understanding that the SP was a bit weak sauce, and the sole reason everyone loved COD4 so much was because of the MP aspect.

I might give it a punt then.

I was of the understanding that the SP was a bit weak sauce, and the sole reason everyone loved COD4 so much was because of the MP aspect.

Pretty much.

Incidentally, after years of playing an experimentation I still haven't a found a combination I like better than the M16 + red dot and Stopping power. :(

SP was fine, just don't attempt it on the harder difficulties as it all unravels a bit at that stage. MP is where it's at.

MP, for me, was all about the controls and the mechanics of combat. Movement felt crisp and fluid, aiming controls were masterful, hit boxes were spot on. That the game ran at 60fps and the netcode was near perfect helped too. It's hard to articulate exactly where the magic lay in COD4s mechanics, wherever it was COD:WaW didn't have any of it.

For me it was just how solid it was. Thats the only way I can describe it really, but it just always felt like I was in total control whereas with other fps games (inlcuding halo 3) there was always an element of glitching.

The weapons all felt perfect, everything is well balanced, and its so smooth to play. The perks were all a great addition too, allowing you to very slightly push the game towards your preferred style of play.