Just one more go...

Tangent

Aren't the comments about play time missing the point a bit. The two do not necessarily match. Something that has that one more go attraction may not necessarily last for weeks or months. Sometimes you might only play them late at night or lots for a week and never play them otherwise.

CoD4, I'd regularly stay up until 3 - 4 am when I had work the next day. As soon as a match finishes it tells you what the next map is.

Inevitably:

Bad map: We can't finish on this one! Play this and then we can finish on a good one. (+30 mins min)

Good map: Hurrah! (+15 mins min)

That finishes.

You played well: I'm on a roll! (+15 mins min)

You played badly: I can't finish on a downer! (+15 mins min)

Repeat until collapse.

I do the "can't finish on a downer" thing on FIFA. Inevitably, the games that go well and you're kicking ass the opponent quits which feels wrong so you have to play another. Then in the next game you lose so play another to finish on a high and so on so I can see the parallels. Usually I know when I've had enough when my concentration has gone and start throwing the ball at the oppositions feet.

I've wasted a ridiculous amount of time having one more go on Fifa, and now Street Fighter.

Like Timmo says about CoD (which I also used to be pretty addicted to), if I win a game I get a bit of a buzz so want another go because I feel like i'm on a roll, and if i lose a game I can't stop playing on a low so have to keep playing until I win. It's pretty dangerous.

Outrun Online Arcade...

I tend to play the game early each morning with the sole purpose of beating all of my friends list scores on Goal A.

Problem is I'm having to belt it into work in order not to be late!

I think Wipeout HD was the last game in which I found my play sessions being excessively longer than I intended due to the Oh Just One More Gos.

It's the time trial mode on that (and WipEout Pure) that got me.

'If I had one go, I'm sure I could squeeze just one more boost in there...'

Bad map: We can't finish on this one! Play this and then we can finish on a good one. (+30 mins min)

Good map: Hurrah! (+15 mins min)

That finishes.

You played well: I'm on a roll! (+15 mins min)

You played badly: I can't finish on a downer! (+15 mins min)

Repeat until collapse.

This was Halo 2, every night for about six months. My modem broke at this point and I took a month break from Live, which no doubt stopped me dying from exhaustion. It was fun but more than a little insane.

EDIT: oh yeah, and Burnout Revenge events like Burning Laps. I've been mildly obsessive about getting all gold medals in this and so it's been a case of start race, crash after 10 seconds, restart, crash after a minute, restart, crash on the last fucking bend, restart, repeat until a gold medal has been gained or it's time to go to work.

Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2, mainly because each individual trip can take a couple of hours in itself, so once I've started I feel the need to see it through.

GTA4 has a habit of waiting until I'm a block away from the safehouse and having someone call me.

Racing games sort of because I'll have to restart a dozen times just to work out the turn in point for a corner.

GRID is a fucking godsend for that.

Generally though, it's narrative that keeps me going.

I want to get to a good jumping off point before quitting, otherwise it's hard to pick up the story next time. Especially things like fallout where the story is what you make it.

Although it's been said, Plants vs. Zombies fits the criteria perfectly. It's the feeling of "Yes! I've finally beaten that bastard level!...well, I guess I might as well have a look at what the next one's about..." Ad infinitum.

Burnout: Takedown on the original Xbox was a huge one for me. I got the PS2 demo of it before release, and I just played it to death. Like, literally hundreds of times. Come release day, I was there, cash in hand. I was hopelessly addicted to it, the greatest "one more go" game I've ever played.

Puzzle Quest - bought it on the DS, traded it in, then bought the XBLA version, then bought the expansion. Still playing it and the hours just disappear.

Drop7 on the iPhone just sucks away all my time, as does Flight Control. Both of those games I can play for a minute or more likely for hours at a time. When a charger is handy, naturally. Oh, and Solitaire.

I also lost a good portion of my life to orb collecting and flag hunting on Crackdown and Assassin's Creed.

For me at the moment it has to be Fifa 09 ultimate team and the funny thing is that half of the time you are not even playing a match.

- Got my desired team great

- Hate my desired team , work on getting new team.

- Not using a gold team anymore as I am hardcore and will only play with a bronze team

- Now want a French only team.

- Ashamed to be an Arsenal supporter at the moment thus remove Arsenal players from team

and it just goes on and on and on but I have say it's the best dlc I have ever purchased.

Although it's been said, Plants vs. Zombies fits the criteria perfectly. It's the feeling of "Yes! I've finally beaten that bastard level!...well, I guess I might as well have a look at what the next one's about..." Ad infinitum.

Got this today and I have to agree. It's well morish.

This is probably my most sought after feature of games, and yet so very few contain it. More games need to make this a priority.

Most recently it was Puzzle Quest PSP like many others here. Peggle's definitely up there, too, although I got burned out on that much more quickly.

My Life As A King - my first go on it lasted almost 6 and a half hours, which is unprecedented these days for me. Short days with an auto-save at the end of the day, but you don't see the previous day's results until the next morning, then you're immediately prompted to assign tasks for the current day. Just. One. More. Day.

My first genuine "WTF? 4am?" moment for years.

...and Puzzle Quest of course, another one where you're blearily beavering away into the wee hours., swollen bladder be damned.