rllmuk
marlonharewood

Sci Fi recommendations

Firefall by Peter Watts is 99p in the Kindle daily deal today. It's actually two books in one. Blindsight and the sequel. I've only read Blindsight so far but it's very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Firefall-Peter-Watts-ebook/dp/B00KFDQXD0/ref=br_lf_m_1000577623_1_3_img?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=536673267&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000577623&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=10GSYCH5K814ND70PXX6

Just to conclude, I read the two books and had a good time in each, so I'm glad you did mention it so I looked beyond the cover. Even the vampire schtick was actually interesting, much to my surprise.

I just read and ABSOLUTELY LOVED Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It's won the big three sci-fi prizes this year so it's not exactly a big stretch to say how good it is but it's the kind of novel that makes you give thanks to any passing deity that the author both exists and chooses to write sci-fi.

• Upvote 3

I just read and ABSOLUTELY LOVED Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It's won the big three sci-fi prizes this year so it's not exactly a big stretch to say how good it is but it's the kind of novel that makes you give thanks to any passing deity that the author both exists and chooses to write sci-fi.

Just went to Audible to buy this on the strength of this post, only to find I already own it. Guess I should get round to listening to it then.

Ancillary Sword is a very different book to Ancillary Justice, but I enjoyed the hell out of both of them. I'd also recommend Kameron Hurley's Bel Dame trilogy, although that is SF verging on fantasy with its bio-technology and magicians.

I'm currently half way through Ancillary Sword (returning to the station after visiting the planet), and whilst I'm enjoying it I find that I prefer the first by a fair margin. Not much is actually happening. I hope it picks up...

I found Ancillary Sword a little disappointing too. It's as well written as the original and it does a nice job at fleshing out the context within which both books are set but story-wise it's just basically a very extended introduction and bridge to the next novel (which looks like it might be fab).

I read Ancillary Justice over Christmas and don't think it lived up to the recommendations and awards. It wasn't bad by any means, quite good in fact. But not great by a long shot. I was a little disappointed.

I'm still trucking towards finishing The Southern Reach trilogy and am really liking it, just for the unique atmosphere as much as anything. I'm certainly not expecting a resolution out of it, but am enjoying the journey immensely.

I loved Ancillary Justice. It's a great reading of the audiobook by Adjoa Andoh, so I'm definitely up for Ancillary Sword.

Incidentally, I read War of the Worlds over Christmas, it's free on the ibook store alongside a few other HG Wells books. I was amazed at what a great read it was. One of those books that is so ubiquitous in terms of story that I felt like I know it inside out, and it really surprised me. Gave me a real appreciation for what they did with the Tom Cruise flick, too.

I'm going to be spending some time in hospital soon and I'm going through this whole thread again to pick up recommendations. What a goldmine!

His books are just so bombastic and huge and never let up with ideas and scenarios that are just so damn cool without being all fucking sci-fi nerd-wanker embarrassing.

And this is the best description of why I like Banks more than other scifi writers.

I've just read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North and really enjoyed it. It's about a man that dies then is reborn in the same circumstances except with the full knowledge of his previous lives. It's regular fiction with sci-fi leanings (think the Time Travellers Wife) and is really gripping especially once you start to realise the full implications of what's happening.

• Upvote 1

A bunch of us have read it and commented a few pages back. By all accounts everyone really enjoyed, I know I certainly did.

It's one of those books that doesn't need a sequel, but you kinda hope it gets one.

Radio 4 are doing another series of their Dangerous Visions radio dramas, which are basically classic SF stories done amazing.

Yesterday was Bradbury's The Illustrated Man: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046j2jc

Fantastic listening, only spoiled for me by the fact they use Iain Glenn, who seems to be in every Radio 4 drama going at the moment. Yes he's brilliant, yes he's in Game of Thrones, but give some other voices a go for flip's sake!

No longer available. :(

I just recently read the illustrated man and would love to listen to this. I think my favourite story was the one about the end of the world. Only about 5 pages long but just wonderfully thought provoking.

Yep that's a pretty good description. The dialogue and terminology is a bit dated (book was published in '52) but it doesn't really matter when the ideas are so strong. Loved that story about the playground too! That was straight up horror. King-esque.

Neuromancer is £1.49 on Kindle store right now.

I'm reading this at the moment, got it for giftmas. It is fucking amazing. if you haven't read it you really, really should

I read The Peripheral over the Christmas period, and was pretty disappointed. It’s full of ideas, but nothing really happens – events take place, but nothing ever really seems to be at stake, and the story moves at an absolutely glacial rate. It’s too slow to be a thriller, and the characters aren’t really interesting enough to justify spending so much time with them. For a novel with such a pulpy, murder-conspiracy opening, the story seems to be weirdly inert. The details of the future world was engaging enough to keep me reading the book, along with Gibson’s beautiful little prose epigrams and nuggets of invention, but it felt like a novella that had been padded out to 500 pages or so.

From reading interviews with Gibson, it sounds like Winter’s Bone was an inspiration for the plot and setting – trailer park drug chemists getting into violent scrapes – but Winter’s Bone is an absolute textbook example of how to engage the audience into caring about the fate of its characters, whereas The Peripheral all felt a bit too safe, even when the protagonists are (briefly) in supposed danger.

The plot was a bit vague as to the details of what was going on, too – by the time I got to the end, I couldn’t really explain why the murder at the start took place or what the motives of the main characters were.

Would you agree that The Peripheral is similar to Spook Country and Zero History then? I'd say they could both be described in that way, but they made for a very pleasant listen on Audible, so I could go for that if so.

I just read HG Wells First Men in The Moon, another freebee from the iBook store. Well worth a read, although the science doesn't really stand up, as you might imagine! The thing is that Wells is such a good writer it doesn't really matter, he just turns out a great book.