Blur

T Pot

NFS:S is a pure arcade racer - whatever it may look like - at least the demo sure is.

Where is that Disney sponsored 'blow shit up' racer at these days?

But don't you have to actually slow down for corners and shit like that? Slowing down, sometimes on real race tracks, that's not a pure arcade racer.

To me, it looks like a realistic racing game with unrealistic elements. Like GRID, which was a million miles away from something like Burnout.

But don't you have to actually slow down for corners and shit like that? Slowing down, sometimes on real race tracks, that's not a pure arcade racer.

PGR was always considered an 'arcade racer' and it requires slowing-down...

I'm thinking more of a game where there's more to life than fastest laps/qualifying on pole etc. - points are awarded for daft stuff like hitting cars/drifting etc. etc. - that's "arcade"

In fact - this is how 'arcadey' NFS:S is

092109_nfs_1.jpg

http://www.theawesomer.com/c/click.php?id=6833

PGR was always considered an 'arcade racer' and it requires slowing-down...

I'm thinking more of a game where there's more to life than fastest laps/qualifying on pole etc. - points are awarded for daft stuff like hitting cars/drifting etc. etc. - that's "arcade"

I thought PGR has always been considered a realistic/arcade cross.

It just seems we have slightly different ideas of what makes an arcade racer. For me, the thrill of constant forward momentum, sliding around the tightest of corners, never slowing down, is an absolutely critical part.

And surely lap times are just as important in arcade racers. Most have some kind of time trial element to them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The German ratings board has revealed that Activision is planning a multiplayer demo of Bizarre Creations' upcoming arcade racer Blur.

The list on the USK website has now been removed, but had previously been listed for Xbox 360. Presumably a PS3 demo is also incoming. There was no indication of when the demo might be released.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember they made MSR, PGR, PGR 2, PGR 3 and PGR4

They made Fur Fighters and Geometry Wars.

They made The Club and Boom Boom Rocket.

They made Geometry Wars 2.

They're trying something different.

They're rubbish at developer's diaries videos though.

Why have they suddenly become the kid it's ok to spit on in the playground ?

Because it looks like a game that everybody played YEARS ago.

Besides, again and again in these diaries, shoving the whole power-ups are fun bullshit down my throat just ain't the best way to sell the game to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Multiplayer beta - March.

During its 2009 financial earnings report, Activision CEO Michael Griffith noted that Bizarre Creations' recently-delayed Blur would have a multiplayer beta available next month. No specific platforms were mentioned, though a recent German rating suggests it will at least be on the Xbox 360.

We don't think it'll end up being exclusive to Microsoft's platform -- after all, you might as well test multiplayer on all the systems a game will be released on, if you're running a beta -- but there's currently no indication to suggest otherwise. All Griffith said was that there would be a beta.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/10/activisi...ng-in-on-march/

Remember they made MSR, PGR, PGR 2, PGR 3 and PGR4

They made Fur Fighters and Geometry Wars.

They made The Club and Boom Boom Rocket.

They made Geometry Wars 2.

They're trying something different.

They're rubbish at developer's diaries videos though.

This. I'm almost irritated by the fact people are forgetting Bizarre Creations made lots of great games, most notably the PGR series (still among the best racing games EVER).

Who here complaining about the looks of the game has even played it yet? I certainly have, and it was a great experience. It's like PGR on (extra) speed with added physics-bending powerups. The fact that it's with actual licensed, realistic cars, including some really rare ones, makes it all the better.

Seriously, I think there's little reason to be all that pessimistic.

Maybe because some people believe Bizarre are spitting on them by churning out yet another infantile 'Fast and Furious' styled racer to jump on a bandwagon that's so far past its sell by date, it's sat at the side of the road with a broken wheel playing home to a half dozen tramps.

I'm selfish, I know, but I want a Bizarre created PGR5 that builds on the best handling arcade/serious crossover racer of all time. With developers now wringing the 360 by its neck to get the best out of it, just imagine what the latest PGR from those best equipped to make it could be like. Particularly if a decent amount of time was spent getting it to work efficiently with the MS wheel.

Of course I've not not played it yet and I realise I may end up eating my words - and I understand Bizarre's desire to attempt something different - but come on, a spotty seventeen year old's Max Power masturbatory fantasy? Bizarre are much better than that, and I would have hoped they'd have believed their audience was better than that too.

TBH any driving game with weapons is going to fail to ignite my interest. Doesn't work for me, never has. Wipeout, Twisted Metal, Carmageddon, etc. Thought the combat in all of them was a bad idea that's at odds with the racing.

This just looks like WipEout in street cars. That appears to be it's only 'new' twist in a tired genre. I am, however, reserving judgement until the finished article. Ain't looking promising to me, though.

Yeah I share the same mindset as Jed. I'd rather play a first person shooter if I want to have my blasting fix. It doesn't make sense to me when licensed cars have weapons they can fire. "But Meerman!", I hear you all yelp. "You love Mario Kart games!". Yes I do, but Mario Kart games are cartoony, which makes a huge difference to me. Racing licensed cars doesn't mix with weapons pick-ups, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Multiplayer beta (360) just in here at the office.

HOLY FUCKING HELL ;)

Seriously brilliant stuff, and the best thing is that it will come to all of us within 2 weeks. With 20 people online multiplayer! I can't wait for the rllmuk madness over this :(

2 Weeks? Win!