eBay says: if you sell a videogame you must post it for FREE

Sketch

I've hardly ever seen that on eBay

the reason it changed was to stop people circumventing fees by doing a PS3 for a bin of £1 with £200 postage

Wasnt that what the limits were for though? When I sold my 360 just before the free for all, it limited to me charging £15.99 or similar?

I actually can't believe no (serious) contenders have entered the market yet. With almost every other big, successful internet venture, identical companies have emerged within a short period of time, often undercutting costs or improving the service of competitors.

And nobody say Amazon Marketplace or PlayTrade, because they're not even comparable to eBay in either the services they offer or the userbase. Personally i'd like to see a Google or Microsoft effort to rival eBay. Would take time though.

It's like the golden era of collecting is over, and we're about to plunge into the pre-internet dark ages of not being able to find anything.

The stuff will still be there, just at rape you in the ass BIN prices from Ebay shops. In fact I liked the pre ebay times, we had a network of collectors and we simply swapped and traded. no money involved. It only really stopped becuse a comercial value was added becuase of Ebay. People stopped swapping and just sold things that were of a higher value.

John Peat for once is talking out of his arse, ignore this nonsense and smash the first cunt in the face that suggests this robbery.

This post was powered by Stella Artois? (or more likely half a pack of Jelly Babies)??

He asked me what I thought and I said I'd be tempted to stick-my-ground because it's eBay's decision to change the rules (and the buyer being unwilling to pay what they've bid) which is causing the problem and not him.

I'm also fairly sure that the NPB will be granted because what he's been told is just what 1 CS Rep has chosen to do and isn't supported by their current rules. NPB rules are fairly simple - you either pay what you bid or you get a strike. The only mitigating arguments are based on the seller changing the terms offered in the auction (such as refusing to post the items or refusing collection when it was offered etc. etc.) otherwise it's mutual agreement or a strike. The rules say nothing about 'refusing to throw-in a discount' and even if they change them, they won't apply retrospectively.

As someone said - collecting benefits the buyer, who gets the goods faster and can inspect before payment. This benefits the seller in P&P cost but buyers have to a tendency to treat visits as a chance to 'chip the price' or even back-out altogether which isn't ideal.

I once had a case of someone who bought something - asked if they could collect and I said yes (both by email thru eBay so confirmable). They paid by PayPal and said they'd arrange collection and 6 weeks later I'm still waiting (I'd emailled twice with no reply). I then received a PayPal Dispute!! They claimed non-delivery - I pointed-out non-payment-of-P&P and the fact they'd said they'd collect. I raised NPB and they said I'd "failed to deliver" - it rattled around for a while until PayPal took back the money, they got a strike and and I got my fees back - total waste of fucking time and a half collectors -_-

You know what I hate? I gave free postage, and yet some bastard still game me less than 5 stars for "postage costs" in feedback. And because I have less than a 4.5 average (4.4), my listings are placed lower than people's who have 4.5 or higher.

You know what I hate? I gave free postage, and yet some bastard still game me less than 5 stars for "postage costs" in feedback. And because I have less than a 4.5 average (4.4), my listings are placed lower than people's who have 4.5 or higher.

Fuckers

Can't you appeal that? It's clearly a total lie/totally unfair - what's 4/5 about 'free' - did they want to be paid for the priveledge.

eBay is really turning into a test of perseverance - I have to admit I almost never sell on it personally but I do sell car parts/salvage etc. for other folks and that does quite well (with the proviso that you ignore the know-nowts who think you're selling Mechano they can fit themselves with the 1 screwdriver they own).

For once I have to agree with their changes to insurance.

The law says that it's the sellers responsbility until the item is delivered - postage loss is the seller's loss and only the seller/poster can claim from the PO/couriers etc. etc.

I'm tired of listings which ask extra for insurance (as a buyer it's not my problem) - and I'm tired of sellers who explicitly state they will not be responsible for postal losses (it demonstrates they have no clue what they're doing).

One smart move in a morass of fuckups tho - that's all this is.

and yes - the 'fight the power' email from eBay was laughable.

Have to agree that the new policy on posage insurance is possibly the only sensible thing ebay have introduced for a while. AFAIK, is'nt the default level of postage insurance £39?

I used to question a seller who wanted another 60 pence for "postal insurance" for the payment of say a £10 DVD or £20 2nd hand game. It was just another way to make extra money.

Still, sold my last batch of games here, in the trading folder. Don't think I'll go back to ebay (unless I find a 20p with no date on!) until they make changes or a suitable alternative comes along.

I used to love Yahoo auctions back in t'old days -_-

Fuckers

Can't you appeal that? It's clearly a total lie/totally unfair - what's 4/5 about 'free' - did they want to be paid for the priveledge.

eBay is really turning into a test of perseverance - I have to admit I almost never sell on it personally but I do sell car parts/salvage etc. for other folks and that does quite well (with the proviso that you ignore the know-nowts who think you're selling Mechano they can fit themselves with the 1 screwdriver they own).

The stars system starts off well in theory but when you have lots of sales it starts rating at parts of a star. So it looks like most of my stars ar 4.75 out of five. But they are so small it looks like a full star anyway. Some people dont like giving a full 5 stars for each category anyway, regardless of selling multiple items of the same thing with the same charges and service.

Default postal insurance is 100x the cost of a 1st class stamp.

The stars system is bullshit IMO. I just don't leave star feedback at all - what's the point of suggesting that anything less than 5 stars is an unsatisfactory transaction? That's what neutral/negative feedback is for. I suggest everyone else also boycott this system where possible.

Fuckers

I would, but I only noticed it after a spate of about 6 feedbacks from different people. All were positive, but I noticed a sharp decline in stars, from a full 5.0 to 4.6. Meaning they either all gave 4 or 3 out of 5, or one person gave 1 out of 5... Based on the overall average. Pisses me off, because I try SO hard to be a nice seller, and they do that. Why? I always give 5 stars unless someone REALLY pisses me off. I mean, it's just polite, isn't it? -_-

eBay is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and crooks run free, and nice sellers die like dogs. :)

How much does it cost to post a game? A quid? Paying the postage just stops those rip-off merchants that were charging £20+ for a stamp and hoping no one would notice.

1 pound 66 for recorded delivery plus 20p for a jiffy bag. And you need to use recorded as you'll get stiffed on a non delivery chargeback from Paypal otherwise.

I used to question a seller who wanted another 60 pence for "postal insurance" for the payment of say a £10 DVD or £20 2nd hand game. It was just another way to make extra money.

that is the price for recorded delivery

insurance is within certificate of posting which is free, i'm always happy on the forums to use the COP but on eBay i'm not because a chunk of them use the piss poor postal system as an easy way to gain by fraud

that is the price for recorded delivery

insurance is within certificate of posting which is free, i'm always happy on the forums to use the COP but on eBay i'm not because a chunk of them use the piss poor postal system as an easy way to gain by fraud

I was talking with regards to a seller charging an additional fee for "postal insurance" on top of their postage charges irrespective of whether or not they were using recorded delivery.

As has already been mentioned, the default level of postal cover is 100x the value of a first class stamp. Therefore, how could they justify an additional fee for insurance for something less than £39? (Irrespective of which postal method they chose to use.)

As has already been mentioned, the default level of postal cover is 100x the value of a first class stamp. Therefore, how could they justify an additional fee for insurance for something less than £39? (Irrespective of which postal method they chose to use.)

i think i already told you why

certificate of posting is available upto £39 for a flat rate

but recorded, which gives the seller extra piece of mind actually costs £0.65 more, so i can see where the extra 60p comes into it. The only difference between the two is that somebody signs for it

and with royal mail fraud and the credit crunch, it just seems an easy way to get free stuff

personally in the 8 years i've been buying and selling stuff there has only been a loss of around 20 parcels (to/from) from probably thousands, so the rate of parcels going missing is very low, now on eBay if you start sending items without anyway to prove its been delivered then suddenly the loss rate is very very high

but if you had said that the seller wanted £5 for insurance i could understand you getting upset

i think i already told you why

certificate of posting is available upto £39 for a flat rate

but recorded, which gives the seller extra piece of mind actually costs £0.65 more, so i can see where the extra 60p comes into it. The only difference between the two is that somebody signs for it

and with royal mail fraud and the credit crunch, it just seems an easy way to get free stuff

personally in the 8 years i've been buying and selling stuff there has only been a loss of around 20 parcels (to/from) from probably thousands, so the rate of parcels going missing is very low, now on eBay if you start sending items without anyway to prove its been delivered then suddenly the loss rate is very very high

but if you had said that the seller wanted £5 for insurance i could understand you getting upset

I think we've got our wires crossed somehow. I don't mind paying extra for recorded postage but when the item is definately less than £39 and recorded is given as an option for postage and packaging then its wrong for the seller to try and charge an additional fee for "insurance"

The DSR (stars) are a deeply flawed idea anyway.

You give someone a choice of 1-5 stars relating to aspects of the transaction - and most people see 1 as bad, 2 not so, 3 average, 4 good and 5 amazing.

The thing is, eBay don't see it that way and it's not how it's setup. 5 is good/as expected, 4 is less so, 3 is poor, 2 is bad and 1 is terrible.

This YAWNING difference in how eBay and "most everyone else in the entire fucking world" sees the system leads to no-end of difficulty - but eBay refuse to yield (although they claim more changes are incoming).

It's one of the most obvious areas where eBay are just 'out there' in terms of being out-of-touch with their customers - it really is like a company did well and then was handed over to either retards, morons or at least teenagers :lol:

Oh - and - don't get me started of recorded post/signed-for deliveries.

I've had a couple of occasions where I've sold either a more expensive (over £39) item or group of items where I've done a combined postage estimate and the buyer has refused and demanded a 'not signed for' option.

The usual excuse is "I'm never in when the postman comes" - which is their problem - but when it's international the price difference is also pretty sharp.

Someone in Portugal bought 5 games from me once - I'd said to ask for international prices BEFORE bidding but he sniped them all and then asked for the price. I gave him one and he came back with "your Royal Mail offers to send that weight for less". "Yes, but that's not insured and has no proof od delivery which means you could lie about receipt and I'd lose - PayPal require proof-of-delivery" to which he replies "that's your problem I'm not paying it and if you post requiring signature I'll just leave them at the PO and claim my money back anyway".

People outside the UK are 'dead to me' in eBay terms now - and I keep sales under £39 for piece-of-mind and let the RM take the risk - no-one actually likes 'signed for' deliveries because being in all day isn't that convenient.

Do you just make that stuff up? I've completed about 200 auctions in the past six months and not had any issues. Surely this is an exception rather than the norm? The system works fine. I think I've only ever had one unfair complaint during the whole time I've used eBay anyway and then that's not eBay at fault. You get idiots no matter what. If you do manage to route them out you're left with something like videogameauctions :hat:

I think we've got our wires crossed somehow. I don't mind paying extra for recorded postage but when the item is definately less than £39 and recorded is given as an option for postage and packaging then its wrong for the seller to try and charge an additional fee for "insurance"

i think we have, on my auctions i generally have postage as £0.80 plus a required fee of £0.65 for the insurance

so my postal charges all in are £1.45 which gives them first class recorded

Do you just make that stuff up? I've completed about 200 auctions in the past six months and not had any issues.

I've been selling on eBay for myself and (more so) for other people for a LONG time now - I've handled 5000+ transactions and there have been probably <20 serious problems - but you do get some fucking idiots at times who will test your patience and you have to know when to walk away and take your losses...

People who approach eBay assuming they're going to be conned are the biggest issue IMO - because they see evil behind everything you do and say - and they are actually more of a problem than the 'con artists' tbh. Yes - I'm saying fear of problems causes more problems than the problems they fear!!

I just started helping someone else list on eBay and their first block of auctions are attracting some truly odd questions - looks like I'm going through the mill AGAIN!!