eBay says: if you sell a videogame you must post it for FREE

Sketch

Serious question but why? What makes them so different than ebay, price, service etc?

The biggest difference is that a 'real' auction gathers all the interested parties together at a set-time and gets a bit of excitement going. Auction Houses go a long way to ensure anyonbe likely to have an interest will be at the sale (or have at least placed bids in advance or are on the phone during the auction).

That makes auctioning an item worthwhile.

Ironically the 'information superhighway' equivalent in this age of 'communication anywhere' turns the idea of an auction into a rigged 'quickdraw' contest where people pay third-parties for the right to bid once - milliseconds before the end - it's a joke really.

A seller paying ebay for the priviledge of being fucked in this way is about as far from what a proper auction house does for it's sellers as it's possible to get...

Seems the new way not to pay fees is to ask the buyer after the auction has finished (goods received) to file one of those non paying thingies stating you dont want the item and the seller gets all the fees back

happened to a chap over on NTSC-uk forums

Surely they can't do that if they've already paid via PayPal?

I've half a mind to put a big message saying EMAIL ME BEFORE MAKING PAYPAL PAYMENT at the top of my auction, and then i'll just tell them to PayPal me outside of eBay's system. I'd far rather risk one person ripping me off by doing a chargeback than pay the eBay fees, since i'm selling a few small items.

Surely they can't do that if they've already paid via PayPal?

I've half a mind to put a big message saying EMAIL ME BEFORE MAKING PAYPAL PAYMENT at the top of my auction, and then i'll just tell them to PayPal me outside of eBay's system. I'd far rather risk one person ripping me off by doing a chargeback than pay the eBay fees, since i'm selling a few small items.

But you would still pay fees wouldn't you? They still bill you a percentage after auction finishes and Paypal take the money fee (unless its a gift).

80% of buyers would ignore your comment and pay anyway.

The majority of the rest would smell a rat and not pay at all.

Far worse than the postage thing is the fact that many cats (including games I believe) MUST offer PayPal and PayPal offers a guaranteed way of ripping-off the seller - which means eBay are (IMO) parties to fraud but they see the 'seller' as a business who must face some losses in this way - is my guess.

eBay's reputation has always been a place where the BUYER can lose-out - I think they are trying to change that image at any cost (most your cost in fact).

All you'd need is - oh - a few £10s of millions of quids...

You think you could make a business generating >$1bn profit a year for an investment of say £50 million?

It would need so so much investment.

eBay will continue to turn the screws on sellers since they can't go anywhere else.

They sent me an email asking me to sign their petition to stamp out unfair business practices pleading for them to be able to sell brands that would rather their goods weren't available on online auction sites. Its like being asked to choose sides between George W and Dick Cheny.

They sent me an email asking me to sign their petition to stamp out unfair business practices pleading for them to be able to sell brands that would rather their goods weren't available on online auction sites. Its like being asked to choose sides between George W and Dick Cheny.

I got that too. Lolled. Didn't sign.

I wonder how many signatures a petition against eBay's unfair business practices would receive, as a comparison.

Does anyone which brands these are? Sony games, perhaps? Man, I love PS3 imports on eBay! I bought Demon's Souls for about £45 imported.

The email:

eBay was built on a simple idea - that we could empower people by building a global trading platform where practically anyone could buy or sell practically anything. But that idea is now under threat from certain brand owners and manufacturers who are trying to turn back the clock and block the sale of their products on online marketplaces and other websites across the EU.

Ultimately, what is at stake is the right of sellers to compete

fairly in the wider online marketplace, and the right of buyers

to be able to access the best possible deals from the widest

possible selection of goods.

Some of these brand owners argue that their objective is to prevent the sale of counterfeits on eBay.

But thanks to our work with 31,000 other rights owners, only 0.15% of listings last year were detected or

reported as potentially counterfeit. The real aim of these brands is to block the sale of all their products on our site - regardless of whether such items are new or second-hand, genuine or fake. It's not just luxury items that are affected, but also everyday items like children's toys, electronic equipment, lawnmowers and pushchairs. And if we want to prevent other brand owners from following suit, we need to act now.

We are therefore calling on European policymakers to amend EU competition law to stop these unfair

trade practices. But we need your help to persuade them to take action. If you would like to join our

campaign against online trade barriers, please sign our petition.

Regards,

Your eBay Team

So they crawl to us after screwing us over? GTF eBay. I'd drown us both just for the satisfaction.

80% of buyers would ignore your comment and pay anyway.

The majority of the rest would smell a rat and not pay at all.

Well I went ahead and did it. Actually I was suprised with the response, almost everyone was willing to pay via PayPal (not through eBay) and only a couple 'ignored' (or were too lazy to read) the notice. We're talking small prices here though, less than £20, so i'm sure it wouldn't fly as well with buyers of anything of real value.

• 1 month later...

been mincing around and i've seen a notice where its changing for sellers again around the last week in September

not only do we have to pay postage and packing, but they are removing insurance from the sales as well

P&P insurance will no longer be included in the purchase process as either an option or requirement for buyers. This change will remove the perception that buyers need to buy insurance as a protection on eBay. In fact, business sellers are responsible for their items until they arrive safely in the buyer's hands.

Sellers can always choose to purchase insurance for their deliveries, but they shouldn’t ask buyers to insure purchases separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewellery, delivery insurance for sellers is the norm. Where appropriate, sellers can include the cost of insurance in their item or postage price.

i can see some rare games being listed in the rare antique section

For once I have to agree with their changes to insurance.

The law says that it's the sellers responsbility until the item is delivered - postage loss is the seller's loss and only the seller/poster can claim from the PO/couriers etc. etc.

I'm tired of listings which ask extra for insurance (as a buyer it's not my problem) - and I'm tired of sellers who explicitly state they will not be responsible for postal losses (it demonstrates they have no clue what they're doing).

One smart move in a morass of fuckups tho - that's all this is.

and yes - the 'fight the power' email from eBay was laughable.

p.s. a highly amusing situation has been developing on a friends eBay auctions. He'd listed a number of games with 'free postage' (as eBay insists on it ofc.) and the same person had bought the lot.

They asked if they could collect - he said "yup - no problem - when do you want to come around?".

They asked how much discount they would get on the price - he said "postage is free so that would be £0".

They argued that he'd have to post them anyway - but he rebutted with a suggestion that they look up "free" in a dictionary.

They then said they were backing-out of the sale - stating he was being 'unreasonable' - so he raised a non-paying-bidder alert and contacted eBay directly at the same time, as it was their policy-change which was causing the issue.

Guess what...

ebay's official line on this is - that he should adjust the total for the actual postage he'd have to pay and if he doesn't, they won't accept the NPB and won't refund his fees.

So - bottom line - it's 'free' postage and you have to give it back to bidders who collect anyway...

I'm tired of listings which ask extra for insurance (as a buyer it's not my problem) - and I'm tired of sellers who explicitly state they will not be responsible for postal losses (it demonstrates they have no clue what they're doing).

One smart move in a morass of fuckups tho - that's all this is.

and yes - the 'fight the power' email from eBay was laughable.

I understand what you are saying, but with fees (ebay and paypal) and now free postage and insurance a DVD for example would have to sell for over £2 before i made a penny, anything under that then its a charity auction

and stacks of dvd's on eBay sell for a penny

personally i force recorded delivery on eBay because i dont like certificate of posting (no sig) just for some chav thieving fecker to tell me what parcel guv'nor

It's not like we have much choice, if people begrudgingly accept it they'll just keep raping.

From this point, I guess it all boils down to these two choices:

1. Fuck ebay & let them fester until they revert

2. Sell it as you used to: trade in, flog to a mate, the paper, local ad etc...

Otherwise, put up or shut up?

p.s. a highly amusing situation has been developing on a friends eBay auctions. He'd listed a number of games with 'free postage' (as eBay insists on it ofc.) and the same person had bought the lot.

They asked if they could collect - he said "yup - no problem - when do you want to come around?".

They asked how much discount they would get on the price - he said "postage is free so that would be £0".

They argued that he'd have to post them anyway - but he rebutted with a suggestion that they look up "free" in a dictionary.

They then said they were backing-out of the sale - stating he was being 'unreasonable' - so he raised a non-paying-bidder alert and contacted eBay directly at the same time, as it was their policy-change which was causing the issue.

Guess what...

ebay's official line on this is - that he should adjust the total for the actual postage he'd have to pay and if he doesn't, they won't accept the NPB and won't refund his fees.

So - bottom line - it's 'free' postage and you have to give it back to bidders who collect anyway...

That's bonkers.

I saw an auction from Cramlington yesterday; there was an option to collect in person, with a £2.50 charge if you wanted to do so.

Guess what...

That is insane, Ebay really will kill themselves with this arrogance. It's been the undoing of many companies in the past.

Guess what...

Your mate's an idiot for not dropping the price IMO. Just like the buyer said it would have cost him to post them anyway and he'd have done him a favour by collecting them so they'd both end up saving money.

If that was me I'd have turned around and said post them then.

Collection in person should benefit both parties as such:

* buyer gets it earlier

* seller saves money

That buyer was taking the piss demanding lower prices. In which case, I will simply deselect the option to allow collection in person. If I was going to charge postage fees, then I would waver those, but if it's free postage, then they can GTF if they want another discount.

What saddens me, is that while modern games I can still buy in stores, papers, off the forum etc. Retro goodies are going to become increasingly harder to source, especially specific niche items. It's like the golden era of collecting is over, and we're about to plunge into the pre-internet dark ages of not being able to find anything.

Your mate's an idiot for not dropping the price IMO. Just like the buyer said it would have cost him to post them anyway and he'd have done him a favour by collecting them so they'd both end up saving money.

If that was me I'd have turned around and said post them then.

You've got a point, I suppose. The thing is, it's less easy coming to an agreeable figure to take off if the P&P isn't a separate stated price. For one, packaging costs vary depending on what you use. Is the buyer expecting you to take more off because you could have used a sturdy, expensive box when you could just discount the cost of a cheap roll of wrapping paper. That could be a couple of pounds difference at the extreme. You know what I mean?

There was nothing wrong with the old system. Nobody could complain about P&P. The costs were never hidden. It was right there on the page. eBay would argue that nothing's really changed. You can just raise the starting price to reflect what you would previously have put for postage. But, as I've said before, it's eBay who gets the higher value fees in their pocket. I'd take a moment to look behind eBay's altruism to the buyer to consider this a pure money-making scheme for them. Whatever happened to good old caveat emptor?