eBay says: if you sell a videogame you must post it for FREE

Sketch

Allow me to be the first to say: utter fucking cunts :) :) :angry:

From 15th June sellers listing in selected categories in Video Games will be required to offer free P&P

Why is eBay making this change?

Excessive P&P costs are cited as a major reason for buyers spending less on eBay. Free P&P is increasingly standard on online shopping sites, and offering the same on eBay contributes to a higher rate of successful sales. To ensure

eBay remains a dynamic marketplace, we’ll be introducing the requirement to offer free P&P for listings in selected categories (see below).

Video Games:

Accessories

Games

Internet Game Accessories

Merchandise / Books

I can't even begin to describe my rage. So if I sell a heavy book (like the Ultimate History of Videogames) that costs £5 to post, I must cover it? Fuck that. If I sell a 50p Megadrive game I must cover the 60p packaging and 80p postage? Fuck that.

eBay has now basically turned into a more expensive, shitty version PLAY.com

Is there any point to it any more?

So we can basically expect to see almost everything disappear, with the exception of those filthy cunting bastards who run professional stores via ebay. They're the reason eBay has gone down hill. eBay makes more money off its stores than the average Joe who is just selling some of his collection. And so they're trying to force everyone to be like those bastards. I am not a professional store, I expect people to cover the postage costs!

Christ, if I sell a game for £5, eBay forces me to accept PayPal, so that's 10% PayPal fee, 20% eBay fee, plus £1.50 free postage I'm giving away. I'd get more money throwing it in the bin!

So unless it's a game that's going to sell for a fortune, it's not worth listing anything more. What saddens me, is that with GameStation destroying all its retro stock, and eBay fucking us all over, there has never been a more difficult time to buy retro games. We've seen the peak, and now we're heading into the trough. :(

You're quite angry today aren't you?

Just add the cost of postage to the item value, it's quite simple. Anything that stops me getting ripped off for postage is a good thing. Many a time I've paid £6 postage for something that costs half that on the postage label (and without new packaging). Don't like it, don't use it. Sell here instead

You're quite angry today aren't you?

Just add the cost of postage to the item value, it's quite simple. Anything that stops me getting ripped off for postage is a good thing. Many a time I've paid £6 postage for something that costs half that on the postage label (and without new packaging). Don't like it, don't use it. Sell here instead

Yes, I am angry.

The thing is, I was always generous with my postage costs, very generous, and often ended up absorbing half the cost myself. Now because a few people charged too much, it's spoiled for everyone.

And you can't simply up the product price, some items naturally sell for a low amount. This new rule effectively stops anyone from selling a low value item.

Upping the base price to cover postage will probably mean second hand prices being roughly the same as everywhere else, egro - people will use it less. Depends on the item though - lots of stuff on ebay you simply can't buy anywhere else.

Another major gripe is this:

Free P&P is increasingly standard on online shopping sites

It's standard because they're massive corporations. PLAY.com must sell millions of music CDs, films and games a month. Presumably it has some kind of postal discount, or it's large enough to cover the costs. eBay started as a place for the average man to sell a few things he had knocking around, but this is no longer the case.

We need a new online auction site.

Who knows, maybe eBay continues to screw everyone over and then Google starts up an auction site. Or something. One can but hope.

Google are probably the only ones capable of pulling it off. There definitely seems like a gap for something new. Ebay is a very unattractive prospect (for buying and selling) these days. Final Fees + Paypal Fees are horrendous.

They are maximising their profits

if you sell an item at £1 with £2 postage they only get the fees on the £1, now if you sell it at £3 they get all the fees

you can use the courier option which means you state the price of P&P within your auction, but apparently they monitor that

i had a discussion about this with an eBay representative because free P&P has been on the DVD stuff for a while now

They did this a while back for DVD's. I seem to recall that ebay didn't charge fees on postage. If this is still the case, then you can understand why the money-grabbing bastards have done this, given that it doesn't benefit buyers in the slightest (the item prices will be higher to cover the postage). Thing is, what's the alternative? It's unlikely you'll get as much money selling your stuff by another means. 1p/99p starts on low-value items will become a thing of the past, I would imagine.

Amazon Marketplace is also pretty shit - if you receive an item that was not sent using a tracked method, then you can pretty much instantly get your money back from the seller by claiming it never arrived. Not good for sellers, as you can't even specify the postage cost.

Yes, I am angry.

The thing is, I was always generous with my postage costs, very generous, and often ended up absorbing half the cost myself. Now because a few people charged too much, it's spoiled for everyone.

And you can't simply up the product price, some items naturally sell for a low amount. This new rule effectively stops anyone from selling a low value item.

Does it? If you usually start your stuff at £1, start it at £2 instead with free P&P. Everyone else will have to do the thing so prices will go up across the board but all the people using it will quickly figure out that with no P&P costs the slightly hire time cost doesn't really matter.

I think its a good idea and will get rid of those C***S who charge £3 to post a dvd.

The problem is there's no competition anymore so they can do as they please, at least not since Yahoo Auctions closed.

Well there's Amazon Marketplace and Play Trade, but I do agree that ebay has got to the point where it makes it very difficult for the average guy to sell items without pricing them at retail store level.

Is this going to effect imports too? I buy a lot of retro games from Japan, the US etc and if they can't name a shipping price in the auctions a lot would probably stop selling to overseas. Or is this just UK only?

Domestic only.

I think its a good idea and will get rid of those C***S who charge £3 to post a dvd.

If you don't like the p&p rates, then just don't bid. Anyway, surely the best way round this is to select a category that does not match your item? Your item will still apear in results when buyers search for item name (or just use the general ebay search).

Free P&P is increasingly standard on online shopping sites, and offering the same on eBay contributes to a higher rate of successful sales.

So, reduction in fees for sellers to promote your site's free postage policy then?

No. Didn't think so. Oh and you have to send items recorded if you want to be covered by paypal. so that more expense into Ebays tight fisted pocket.

What they should have done is set a flat rate postage charge on all videogames, say 1.60. The seller can't adjust this the buyer does not get ripped off.

You know what pissed me off, like other good sellers is that we are not the ones selling for 1p with 4.99 postage to avoid fees.

If you don't like the p&p rates, then just don't bid. Anyway, surely the best way round this is to select a category that does not match your item? Your item will still apear in results when buyers search for item name (or just use the general ebay search).

Thats hilariously flawed. Shockingly enough, if you ever need to sort through excessive results, it might not be easily visable

Thats hilariously flawed. Shockingly enough, if you ever need to sort through excessive results, it might not be easily visable

Of course it's flawed, but it's better than coughing up more in charges. If you always sort your results by lowest price first (as I always do) then it doesn't matter what category your item is in.

Of course it's flawed, but it's better than coughing up more in charges. If you always sort your results by lowest price first (as I always do) then it doesn't matter what category your item is in.

Until you invariably come across 1000 dud items that some moron has put up for a 99p start price. Thats a bad enough problem even when you have the option of searching through categories.

It would be handy if eBay got together with some of the delivery services and calculated a delivery cost based on parcel size/weight. Wouldn't really be that difficult to do, especially for someone in a position such as eBay is. As has been said it seems this is more about making a few quick bucks rather than actually providing a useful service, I am not using eBay because of how great I think it is. I am using it because there isn't really any viable alternative.

A search that will bring up all the 1p start with ripp off postage charges first though. :)

This doesn't seem a bad idea, I fail to see your rage.

I can't even begin to describe my rage. So if I sell a heavy book (like the Ultimate History of Videogames) that costs £5 to post, I must cover it? Fuck that.

I don't think you need to be the proverbial rocket scientist to work out that you should just charge an extra £5.

The online auction market's long overdue a shake-up. I'll raise a glass the day someone launches a more attractive alternative that sees everyone migrate from Ebay.

Yeah it's been around since "the beginning" by that I mean 1996/97 when people in the UK generally started to get online. Very few of the sites/services from back then have survived. It does feel a bit stale these days, I guess the fact it has next to zero competition leads to that.