acidbearboy

Cold Modern Electro

Not the hip-hop style stuff from the 80's, but the darker and more serious sound of the 90's and beyond (although some Kraftwerk fits perfectly). I own a few bits and pieces of Electro but I feel like I need more. There is obviously plenty out there but I find there is a lot of dull, boring stuff to wade through when shopping so I thought I'd start a thread and get some discussion/recommendations. Here is what I dig, more of the same and other 'blow your mind' shit I might have missed please.

This week I have mostly been listening to Arpanet. Some choice tracks from the Wireless Internet LP:

Illuminated Displays, NTT DoCoMo, Wireless Internet

...and Infinite Density and Event Horizon off Inertial Frame (I didn't like the rest of the album so much so I just bought the Reference Frame EP instead).

Der Zyklus I&II and the untitled Frustrated Funk EP. This is one of my all time favourites. Beautiful!

I should give the Biometry album another try I guess. (I did, eventually, but it's too minimal for me - the only two tracks I like are Biometric ID and Biometric Systems).

More to follow.....

• Upvote 1

Ohhhh now we're talking

So we're talking cold modern electro, so no electro-pop or disco-y stuff (ruling out Goudron/Legowelt/I-F etc.).

Sounds like you've heard the Der Zyklus stuff, and I assume Dopplereffekt? (I'll bung a couple in, just in case!)

I won't insult you intelligence by suggesting Drexciya, but if you don't have "The Quest" don't come back to this thread until you do.

Some Anthony Rother would be an obvious choice

Human Made

Destroy Him My Robots

Dopplereffekt

Cellularphone

Voice activated

DMX Krew are propably not the sort of thing you are after, but this is probably my favourite electro tune ever

Bump to the Beat

Liking the samples of that Space Dimension stuff larry, have downloaded the full album to listen to at work tomorrow. You checked out any of the other stuff from that site/label? Loads of free music there!

Joyrex, assume nothing! I only have stuff from some of the Drexciya alias'. No Dopplereffekt either! Just something I've never gotten round to checking out. I'm on it now though :rolleyes:

Liking that Anthony Rother stuff, especially the Human Made track (which I though was going to be this

Is the rest of the album worth getting? His other bits I listened to on Youtube were all quite dark sexual electro, which is good. Shame I can't find anything to buy digitally.

The DMX track is alright too, not amazing (no offense) but it's a valid recommendation.

Some more of the stuff I already know and love. First up, a couple from Luke Eargoggle's Stilleben label out of Sweden.

Komarken Electronics
The debut album is all killer no filler.

From last years Electro Databahn compilation are these sinister tracks from BMX and Kaneda

BMX - Chemotron Worldwide

Kaneda - Experiment 08

One of my other faves are the E.R.P. releases by Convexion. Simultaneously light and deep. Vox Automation EP and the Alsoran EP

Blade Runner vibes with this epic Matthew Jonson remix

The Other People Place LP is on of my favourite albums but it oozes warmth and so isn't quite so fitting for a thread about cold electronics. Infact, most of the stuff I have that might be classed as Electro is the more melodic and 'fuller' sounding stuff: Model 500, Plus Device, Alden Tyrell, Legowelt, Bangkok Impact, Robotnick, some stuff on Planet Delsin, Viewlexx, Creme etc. This tune from Dexter is one of my recent faves of that style. So much fatness. Dexter D-Funked

Liking the samples of that Space Dimension stuff larry, have downloaded the full album to listen to at work tomorrow. You checked out any of the other stuff from that site/label? Loads of free music there!

Joyrex, assume nothing! I only have stuff from some of the Drexciya alias'. No Dopplereffekt either! Just something I've never gotten round to checking out. I'm on it now though :rolleyes:

Liking that Anthony Rother stuff, especially the Human Made track (which I though was going to be

). Is the rest of the album worth getting? His other bits I listened to on Youtube were all quite dark sexual electro, which is good. Shame I can't find anything to buy digitally.

The DMX track is alright too, not amazing (no offense) but it's a valid recommendation.

Dopplereffekt can be had on bleep.com (get Infophysix & Fascist State)

Drexciya's "The Quest" is a compilation of all their early EPs and vinyl stuff, it's essential stuff, I bought my copy in HMV years ago, I've just looked on discogs.com and it's going for £200!!!!

I've struggled to find any Anthony Rother stuff in download form, if you liked that track the rest of the EP is worth getting if you can find it

Yeah it's a great site, I've got a good few things from there. RL/VL is Space Dimension Controller's main alias, it's a lot more ambient though but he has a few releases up there which are well worth a look. Barry's Electric Workshop (Might be BEW on that site) does good stuff too, think that's where I got his dub E.P. and Koen Park's new E.P. has been getting good reviews but I haven't listened to it yet.

Dr. Lektroluv has an Arpanet track on his mix cd. Maybe the tracklist contains some more acts of your liking:

1. Bozzwell - Ghouls (6:55)

2. Reverso 68 - Tokyo Disko, Part 2 (2:33)

3. The Subs - The Origin (5:02)

4. Nemesi - L'Astéroïde (Baldelli & Dionigi Mechanic remix) (5:52)

5. Armando - Land of Confusion (remix) (4:27)

6. Siskid - Hummer (5:17)

7. Detroit Grand Pubahs - Riot 66 (Billy Nasty & Gregor Tresher remix) (4:31)

8. Danton Eeprom - Berlin 2 Bounce (4:24)

9. Nitzer Ebb - Warsaw Ghetto (4:16)

10. Hell & Anthony Rother - German Bodymachine (4:46)

11. Superlux - Alison Kirk (Perspects remix) (4:01)

12. Kaos - Panopeeps (6:04)

13. Michoacan - Basshead (6:04)

14. Maral Salmassi - Forever (4:39)

15. ARPANET - Illuminated Displays (6:12)

Well I've tried a few times but I'm not really getting into The Quest. It's a bit hard I think, and like most Electro, I find it gets boring after too long. That Anthony Rother EP you mentioned earlier is fucking superb though, listened to that loads of times.

I prefer the deeper stuff. Check out this amazing space soundscape from Drexciya's space themed Grava 4 album (Clone - 2002). The bassdrop is awesome.

Also, I think I mentioned it in another thread but there is a newish ERP remix of Hardfloor that's brilliant "The Life We Choose (ERP remix)"

Bumping this old thread as I'm enjoying The Jupiter Cycle by Hadamard. There's two EPs which join together nicely to form a solid album length listen. There's a nice mix of ambient spacey atmospherics and cold hard electro. Both EPs are both available in full on Spotify.

Pt.1 -

Pt.2 -

The best tracks:

Entry Point

Abstract Thought

Offerings From Io

The Ghost In The Machine

Satellite Storm

Only the one track on Youtube which is incorrectly labelled Offerings From Io, when it is in fact Magnetodisk

A mate sent me this bang up to date Dopplereffekt thing last night, from this year:

Vibey, dubby, lasery thing. A bit different from previous Doppler, owing to the collaborative aspect I suppose, but nice all the same.

A few years old now but really nice, Morphology put out a hell of a lot, some of it is brilliant, some is rather formulaic, this one is brilliant as far as I am concerned.