rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
raphski

Southland

Longer season?

Someone said it was. I was a bit disappointed when it ended.

This is coming on one of the channel 4 channels (if you see what I mean) soon, is it worth a look, then?

Fuck yes.

I'm late to the party with this but having watched all of Season 1 and half of Season 2 I'm really warming this largely overlooked show. I had pretty much the exact same reservations that raphski did about the pilot episode but it got better and better as it went on.

It's nice to have a good, strong extended cast showing all the different aspects of the LAPD rather than just concentrating on those working the beat. It doesn't seem to be spreading itself too thin either; most of the characters (even the relatively minor ones) seem to be nicely fleshed out with interesting back stories. It's a shame the budget is being slashed dramatically for Season 3 but from what I've read they're handling it admirably, with producers and actors set to agree to pay cuts in the hope that the majority of the cast can be kept on.

I've been watching on More4 and whilst it started slowly it's clicked for me over the past couple of weeks - tonight's episode (the series one finale) was excellent.

I quite enjoyed the first season and was disappointed to see the second season had been cancelled. I had no idea it had been picked up again. Thanks forum!

I missed the heads up and just came across it online. FUCK YES!

Any word on how long it is? S1 & S2 were painfully short.

Thought it was awfully lazy writing in Season 2 though when her new partner (Sucre from Prison Break) was in one episodes and then the next wasn't. They didn't even have a line in the show to explain this.

Glad this is back though.

I missed the heads up and just came across it online. FUCK YES!

Any word on how long it is? S1 & S2 were painfully short.

10 episodes, so still not ideal but at least better than previous seasons.

Thought it was awfully lazy writing in Season 2 though when her new partner (Sucre from Prison Break) was in one episodes and then the next wasn't. They didn't even have a line in the show to explain this.

Yeah, that definitely jarred with me too. Very strange.

Anyone watch this weeks episode? Holy shit! :blink: What an amazing 42 minutes of tv. Criminal that more people don't watch this.

I completely agree. Didn't More 4 air the first two seasons last year? It should have been Channel 4, prime time.

About to watch episode 4 now. The first 3 have been great (though it slowed down a bit with the third episode).

I was going to mention last week, how all of a sudden they started using the visual Code 4. Sherman uses it when talking to the guy who allegedly raped his Mum, and then in the same episode, one of the Officers uses it as backup arrives, after the pussy whipped Detective smashes a window at his house.

I thought maybe one of the writers/directors saw it on the street and decided to pop it in. It might just be me, but it felt pretty jarring having it suddenly appear, after 2 prior seasons without seeing it at all. Obviously now:

this episode was the reason. He gives the Code 4 to the Police helicopter and then gets hit. Still pretty jarring, though. Like they suddenly realised this episode was next, and they better get this in a prior episode, so people who don't know Police lingo can ask 'what's with the four fingers? Oh, Code 4? What's that? Under control, no further assistance necessary. Ok, great.'

S03E05 wasn't bad, but after an amazing S03E04, it was a bit of a let down.

And straight away I knew that

the 'rape victim' was just a filthy slag cheating on her husband. It was far too obvious.

I've recently got 2 people watching it, and they really like it so far.

After a poor episode last week, this was one pretty good.

I still can't believe so few people watch it. I think I've got about 4/5 people watching it though.

I still can't believe so few people watch it.

This needs reiterating. How can so many people be missing out?

S03E08 was great. And there was an amazing shot in there too:

post-4995-016384500 1298490142_thumb.png

I'm watching this! It's great but I'm only mid way through Season 2. Was it just me or did they change up the partnership between Copper and Sherman between the pilot and S1? I could have swore that they were playing father and son cops in the pilot.

I'm watching this! It's great but I'm only mid way through Season 2. Was it just me or did they change up the partnership between Copper and Sherman between the pilot and S1? I could have swore that they were playing father and son cops in the pilot.

No, no change there. Good to see there's another person along for the ride.

"No...no...I'm a gang detective - I can't have a fucking find my friends app on my phone"

:lol:

Oh man. Was that the last episode of S3? It certainly felt like it. :(

How many seasons has this amazing show got, do we know?

I loved Coopers comment as he rolled past some old guy sat on some steps, who stuck his middle finger up at him;

"In the warm embrace of the grateful populace we serve."

Also:

Sammy in uniform, leading the guys who just passed probation. Awesome. He's gone from acting like a little bitch to becoming pretty bad ass. Though I miss Nate.

Balls, I think I'm 2 episodes behind. I've been really enjoying this and whilst it doesn't quite fill the void The Shield or The Wire left I needed some new gritty cop show to get into and I can't get into the whole CSI stuff.

I'm hoping that they might start to make it more of a series with continuous storyline rather than something new happening every episode. I know they've started to do that with Sammy so thats good,

I've just finished season three having started season one about 10 days ago. It annoyed me at first but I grew to like the fact there wasn't a big season arching plot like Shield\Wire, in Southland I really didn't know what was coming next. A bit like ER with Cops in some ways.

PS - I started a new thread a few weeks ago for The Chicago Code. After six episodes I have to admit that the show hasn't lived up to expectations and Southland is by far the better show. I'm hoping TCC picks up the pace soon because it is almost starting to feel like a soap with cops.

New series of this has started and it is AMAZING. First episode had me completely enthralled start to finish. If it keeps up this form it will be the best season so far, hands down. The gunfight at the end :omg: and the conversation afterwards. Just great TV.

Saved me having to search for the thread. It was a great opener to the season. The show has some faults, but the action scenes and atmosphere are terrific. You've mentioned the ending but the chase sequence earlier on was thrilling too.

It was really visceral and the whole thing just seemed so real. Which makes the bleeped out profanity all the more annoying. That kind of shit really pisses me off, especially in an episode that had such adult content.

Has anyone been keeping up with this? My wife and I have watched through Season 4 over the last couple of weeks and it was an absolute belter.

Season 5 is five episodes in, can't wait to get started with it.

For me, this show is up there with Mad Men and Breaking Bad as one of the best shows airing at the moment. It seems criminal that so few people seem to know about it. There's at least one moment every episode that makes me go 'holy shit'.

I've enjoyed season 5 just as much as the rest, so you've got some to look forward to.