Moon

lordcookie

Saw this tonight at the Cameo. Really enjoyed it. Great performance from Sam Rockwell.

Yeah - thought it was ace with Rockwell once again delivering and the Q&A afterwards was enjoyable. Shame I didn't think of the great question about Clint Mansell's scoring until afterwards though. The guy made a good question about the aesthetic although I'd say it reminded me more of 70s British TV SF such as UFO and Space 1999 rather than Alien but the film does pay a lot of homage in general to that intelligent strain of 70s SF films. Dead impressed that they managed to get it made for £2m.

And having seen it, the bit in the trailer that seems like it might be a spoiler isn't as the film is very upfront about it - it isn't a 'twist'.

Yeah - thought it was ace with Rockwell once again delivering and the Q&A afterwards was enjoyable. Shame I didn't think of the great question about Clint Mansell's scoring until afterwards though. The guy made a good question about the aesthetic although I'd say it reminded me more of 70s British TV SF such as UFO and Space 1999 rather than Alien but the film does pay a lot of homage in general to that intelligent strain of 70s SF films. Dead impressed that they managed to get it made for £2m.

And having seen it, the bit in the trailer that seems like it might be a spoiler isn't as the film is very upfront about it - it isn't a 'twist'.

To be hoenst, I didn't really pickup on the Alien reference until the guy mentioned it in the Q+A, guess I haven't seen it or a while. Thought it was unusual these days seeing a sci-fi film which didn't go down the CGI route for the fx, using models instead.

I guess I like films that toy with my cynical pre-conceptions of what they're going to be like, and this did exactly that, and I think that's one of the reason's I enjoyed it so much.

(Coincidentally , just watched The Fountain tonight, also scored by Clint Mansell, ahead of the Aronofsky thing tomorrow night...)

To be hoenst, I didn't really pickup on the Alien reference until the guy mentioned it in the Q+A, guess I haven't seen it or a while. Thought it was unusual these days seeing a sci-fi film which didn't go down the CGI route for the fx, using models instead.

I guess I like films that toy with my cynical pre-conceptions of what they're going to be like, and this did exactly that, and I think that's one of the reason's I enjoyed it so much.

(Coincidentally , just watched The Fountain tonight, also scored by Clint Mansell, ahead of the Aronofsky thing tomorrow night...)

That should be fun - I've got tickets to that as well...

I thought the model work was pretty good in general particularly given that the narrative prevented them using the common tricks you'd use to hide that they were models.

I love model work - it's got more soul and personality. Sod CGI.

• 2 weeks later...

Dates have been confirmed.

Also had a quick natter with Duncan Jones on his Twitter about typefaces in sci-fi movies -

A font monk! Well then you will REALLY love our use of Microstyle Bold EXT in the film itself! ;).

He seems quite an aimable chap, give him a follow!

So, yep, looking forward to this very much. July 17th at the Tyneside Cinema. I'm there.

So, yep, looking forward to this very much. July 17th at the Tyneside Cinema. I'm there.

Give me the secret Rllmuk handshake, and I'll sort you out with a pot of spiced cashews if I'm on the bar.

Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to Moon and its pared-down sci-fi slant. Rockwell's always class too.

Give me the secret Rllmuk handshake, and I'll sort you out with a pot of spiced cashews if I'm on the bar.

Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to Moon and its pared-down sci-fi slant. Rockwell's always class too.

Aha! I'll be there on 17th July (incidentally possibly the last day of Midway Newcastle :) ) so I'll see what happens! Love the Tyneside, it's a wonderful place.

Hey there.

Gonna check this out at the cornerhouse in Manchester tomorrow. Can't wait... Though I hope I'm wrong about the trailer... It felt like it gave the whole movie away. Or at least I could guess the whole movie from what they showed.

Despin out.

Gonna check this out at the cornerhouse in Manchester tomorrow. Can't wait... Though I hope I'm wrong about the trailer... It felt like it gave the whole movie away. Or at least I could guess the whole movie from what they showed.

Haven't read or heard much about this, which sounds like the best way to watch it. I think I might pop into the Cornerhouse tomorrow myself :) Which showing are you going to?

Most people are very good in this folder but can I please ask that everybody makes sure they spoiler tag anything regarding the ending. Rather selfishly I won't be getting to see this until the end of August and would love not to know what happens.

When is this officially out on this side of the Atlantic? Or is it even getting a wide release?

It's out tomorrow on a limited release. On Duncan Jones site Man Made Moon he has a list of the cinemas so far. I'll post them below just to save time :)

LONDON:

* Soho Curzon

* Screen on the Green

* West End Apollo

* Enfield Cineworld

* Chelsea Cineworld

* Haymarket Cineworld

* Mill End Genesis

* Milton Keynes Cineworld

* Brixton Ritzy

* Swiss Cottage Odeon

* Shepherds Bush VUE

* Stevenage Cineworld

* Reading Showcase

* Camden Odeon

* Richmond Studio

* Covent Garden Odeon

* Bayswater Odeon

SCOTLAND:

* Glasgow Cineworld

* Edinburgh Cameo

* Glasgow Film Theatre

* Aberdeen Belmont

* Edinburgh Omni VUE

WALES:

* Cardiff Vue

* Cardiff Cineworld

REGIONAL:

* Oxford Phoenix

* York City Screen

* Manchester CNR.HSE

* Leeds Hyde Park

* Newcastle Tyneside Cinema

* Cambridge Picture House

* Norwich Cinema City

* Nottingham Broadway

* Sheffield Showroom

* Sheffield Cineworld

* Bristol Showcase (De Lux)

* Leeds Showcase

* Bluewater Showcase

* Derby Showcase (De Lux)

* Leicester Showcase (De Lux)

* Nottingham Showcase

* Peterborough Showcase

* Birmingham VUE

* Leeds Light VUE

* Cheshire Oaks VUE

* Plymouth VUE

* Portsmouth VUE

* Manchester Odeon

IRELAND:

* Dublin Irish Film ctr.

* Dublin Cineworld

* Lighthouse Cinema

* Dunlaoghaire IMC

* Cork Omniplex

* Galway Omniplex

* Limerick Omniplex

* Belfast Queens

* Lisburn Omniplex

I'm getting a bit sick and tired of missing good shit at the cinema, frankly. No Southampton or Bournemouth showings? Twats.

You could just go to Portsmouth. I had to go to Pasadena to watch Moon, that's 2500 miles from my house!

Mansell's score for this is tremendous.

Agreed - glad they got the soundtrack up so quickly compared to the long wait I had for Sunshine's soundtrack.

Saw this today, really enjoyed it - definitely had that Silent Running feel which Duncan Jones stated as his inspiration. Great how it all plays out too.

Saying that, one little thing spoiled it a teeny bit for me -

"SATTELITE"

Today I saw moon. Here is a new economical review system I'm trying.

+ Sam Rockwell - amazing performance

+ Soundtrack - perfect mix of future SFX with traditional piano melody, a mix much like the narrative of the movie

+ Concept - the whole idea of the film is genius, and while the script is sparse it never rings hollow. Had real pangs of pathos, and was a wonderful example of how a simple story, well told, can grow to encompass so much of the human experience.

- The reveal - you know too much too soon, and I found myself constantly asking myself why the character wasn't asking certain questions.

- There is something untapped about the premise. It feels like its going to keep growing at an exponential rate, but the final act is flat and the denouement left to our imaginations.

- Certain aspects of the plot were contrived or confusing to the point of implausibility. E.g. The jammed satellite link and the lack of comprehension over what is happening to Bell as his health deteriorates.

Overall: an excellent concept slightly let down in execution but still an amazing film in a genre starved of recent highlights. 4/5

For those expecting

to see Matt Berry as having something approaching a role in this film: don't. He's barely in it.

I wonder to what degree was

Kevin Spacey

actually on set, doing the

voice of the robot

? Would have been good for

Rockwell to have had someone to act against

for those scenes, mind you it must have been a

mindfuck trying to act off against yourself.

there's a Q&A video session at NASA where it's revealed Duncan Jones, the director, used to work in the games industry :wub:

Yeah, I remember hearding ages ago that Bowie's son was working at Elixir Studios. If you check the credits on Mobygames, he is listed as having done additional design work on Republic: The Revolution.

(shudders)

If that doesn't put you off working in the games industry ...

Can that really have been his first gig in gaming? Any developers on here able to confirm otherwise?