rllmuk
parrapatheslapper

Final Fantasy VII (SEVEN)

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I’ve been playing this the past week on the PS4 and I’m finding it very hard work. Still stuck in Midgar, I have little enthusiasm to continue.

This guy are sick. 

Seriously though, where are you stuck? 

• Upvote 3

On 09/04/2019 at 16:56, spork said:

Totally this. Can't belive this thread is full of Barret haters. 

I sometimes like to run with a headcanon where Barret is the main protagonist trying to rein in this spiky-haired idiot throughout the course of the game, so he’s got to be in the party. :D 

8 hours ago, meatbin said:

This guy are sick. 

Seriously though, where are you stuck? 

I’m not stuck. I’m just finding it so sloooow. My patience levels are clearly much lower than they were twenty years ago.

Just now, gossi the dog said:

I’m not stuck. I’m just finding it so sloooow. My patience levels are clearly much lower than they were twenty years ago.

Are you using the 3x speed? 

• Upvote 2

On my way to Rocket Town now, had a massive blast through today starting from Corel.  Glad to get through that bit quickly as I always remember it being a bit slowwwww.

My characters are levelling rather well, too.   It’s a bit too tempting to use the cheat when grinding but I’m generally being good in the proper dungeony bits.

I still needed to look up how to do certain things in Nibelheim, even after all these playthroughs and all these years :D 

6 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

These cheats people mention, are these simply speeding up combat, or are there other things afoot?

Theres one that 3x speeds everything (except the FMV sequences), which I am using a lot.  Makes travelling quicker,

battles, everything.  Again I mostly turn it off in the proper explorey dungeon bits.

Another disables random battles

Another constantly refills HP, MP and Limit meter in battle.  So I’ve used this a bit but I don’t really feel bad about it - this is a game I’ve finished many times but still left things undone, I may actually get to experience them at last! (One thing I’m trying to do is max out an All materia ASAP so I have plenty of Gil to help me destroy the weapons later).

• Upvote 1

Ah great, thanks for the info. That actually sounds pretty great. To have the time to sink would be fantastic, but (thankfully, I suppose) I have a lot more going on nowadays, so things like this make games I love less prohibitive. Might have grab it again. (For the 4th time or whatever!)

I've never played a FF game properly, but love JRPGs. Was picking between this and IX but I've only got them to play on my Vita (PS One versions) so won't have access to the speeding up stuff. I think like a lot of people I tried VII on release and a few times after, but had never really played a JRPG before so it was all a bit jarring. Got a fair few under my belt now so sure I will be fine, but I think it will take me a long time to play. Might start them both off together and see which one grabs me more.

47 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I've never played a FF game properly, but love JRPGs. Was picking between this and IX but I've only got them to play on my Vita (PS One versions) so won't have access to the speeding up stuff. I think like a lot of people I tried VII on release and a few times after, but had never really played a JRPG before so it was all a bit jarring. Got a fair few under my belt now so sure I will be fine, but I think it will take me a long time to play. Might start them both off together and see which one grabs me more.

You may well find that IX is the better game, initially at least, as VII is a bit slow going until a particular reveal about four hours in, but VII is definitely better in the long run. IX has a pretty baggy middle.

54 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

You may well find that IX is the better game, initially at least, as VII is a bit slow going until a particular reveal about four hours in, but VII is definitely better in the long run. IX has a pretty baggy middle.

Those first four hours are amazing though. 

VII is vastly superior to the overrated IX in my opinion. 

• Upvote 4

A friend of mine bought IX recently and commented to me that, with the benefit of hindsight, it can be a bit like an interactive novel at times. 

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

A friend of mine bought IX recently and commented to me that, with the benefit of hindsight, it can be a bit like an interactive novel at times. 

I wouldn't say that's true at all. It's actually pretty good at throwing you straight in, and I'd argue that the cut-scenes or sections where control is taken away from the player are longer and more frequent in VII.

The first ten hours, or first disc, of IX are brilliant; the latter 30 aren't as good. It's still a great game, however. Just not the masterpiece that VII is.

Splendid, and very happy to be corrected there, as it’s a game I did intend on buying on Switch again later but was slightly put off by said comments. 

You are right though, VII is a masterpiece. The battle system is peerless in the Final Fantasy series - although I caveat that by saying I haven’t played any of the online games and have yet to get around to XV. 

Come to think of it, is XV the first single player entry in the series since X?

XI & XIV are online. XII was fairly recently remastered (due on Switch soon) and is excellent. XIII was not well received, personally I thought it was decent.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Those first four hours are amazing though. 

VII is vastly superior to the overrated IX in my opinion. 

It's a long term playthrough, will be a side thing, mainly when my boys are hogging the PS4 at weekends, so I'll go with VII then and try IX another time. Cheers!

I’m nearing the end of Disc 2 now, it’s so surreal to have a playtime less than 20 hours.

There is so much going on at this point of the game, lots of lovely story, most of which I’ve forgotten.  I guess I haven’t played these bits as often :) 

Ain’t no gettin’ offa this train!!!

• Upvote 7

Music bug?

Just reached Costa De Sol on PS4. It's amazing how quickly the game is flying by (toggle of 3x speed is amazing)

Struggling to pick a "best" party though :(

When you get a random encounter the field music or map music goes back to the start. It means you only hear the first 5 seconds of most of the tracks. In the original it always resumed from where it was before the battle.

I noticed it did a wee update on the Switch last night.  Good that they've sorted that out.  The missus and I are loving it.  Both of us played it to near completion before we met.  She seems to remember more than I do though. I think I'm gettin bloody senile.

I've been working through it on the train into work for the last few months and my reaction to it has really surprised me. It's such a brilliant thing, and while being old and slightly creaky in places (all of the mini games and side bits are complete shit) it just feels so big and so adventurous. 

I love it, and am heading into the Northern Crater now with everyone's ultimate weapons. Like Stan, I've not bothered with any of the KOTR or Chocobo bollocks, but have done pretty much everything else. I vaguely remember everyone being involved in the final battle, is that right? Do I need to level everyone up? 

• Upvote 2