rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Raide

Assassin's Creed 2 Teaser

It would appear to be Altair's arm. Er. Yup. Not that I have a printer, mind - had to have the webcam recording part of the screen.

Cool! The teaser suggests Leonardo da Vinci, so the sequel will presumably be set in Renaissance Italy. That's a great idea for a setting - beautiful scenery, and loads of political turmoil, so loads of opportunity for assassination. Certainly a much more original choice than Feudal Japan, which is what everyone wanted after the first game.

It'll never happen, because people think some shit set in Italy would be better.

What big stuff has ever happened in Italy? I'm struggling to come up with anything. What a rubbish place. In fact, I'm guessing if you removed Italy from the history of the world, nothing would be different. At all. Not one little thing. At all.

You're worse than those guys who want to set the next GTA in Tokyo.

I'm leaving the forum because of this. Goodbye.

I still haven't completed the original. I got to the Blood of A Regent achievement and just felt it was time to stop as the game was repeating itself - really disappointing as the first hour was an amazing experience. The AI was truly dreadful even though the tutorial seemed to promise that the game would be action/stealth throughout - it looked pretty but it just suffered as the actual content was the same with each passing level. Finding flags was nowhere near as satisfying as finding orbs on Crackdown, carrying out assasinations was better in Splinter Cell/Manhunt and the exploration was more fun in GTA. It was a stunning game visually but it just didn't do enough in terms of content.

There's a hang-glider in that teaser near the end. They won't do that surely :)

Think this one will actually be any good?

Not very hopeful. I'd like them to mix the modern day with the ancient history sections but they won't - it'll be a replay of the previous one with some added moves.

The core stuff was fine and perfectly enjoyable to be honest. I remember the finishers were pretty satisfying, and the atmosphere was nice (aside from constant "I'll have your hand for that!"). It's just a shame the game was so goddamn empty in typical Ubi fashion. More stuff plz.

It's impossible for this to be any worst than the first game. In what inverted world does a developer consider sitting on a bench to be fun mission design?

Ubisoft Montreal have been bloody useless this console generation. :)

Think this one will actually be any good?

It has a chance, now that they've got the franchise all set up and snug with the foundations of the first.

I enjoyed the first game a lot, I could spend hours literally just free running and doing bugger all else. The first games big problem was variety which just wasn't there. Just make the missions a lot more varied, better setpieces etc and it should hopefully be a lot better.

Ubisoft Montreal have been bloody useless this console generation. :)

They made the wonderful Far Cry 2, one of the most interesting and underappreciated FPS of last year. They're in my good books for a good while because of that game.

They made the wonderful Far Cry 2, one of the most interesting and underappreciated FPS of last year. They're in my good books for a good while because of that game.

But that has the same problems as most of Ubisoft open world games a horrible tendency to repeat itself over and over with lackluster missions. FC2 sort of let you do the missions on your own terms but once you'd done a few you realise that it's just the same couple of missions over and over again with no variety and very bad AI.

I hope they completely rework the AI for the guards in the sequel. It completely killed the game for me and then having a Benny Hill style chase with the guards for five minutes whilst desperately trying to find a bench to sit on was rubbish. Refine the stealth element and give you more ways to pull off silent, one hit kills and it could be pretty interesting.

Assassin's Creed was a great tourist sim. I used to love hanging out in Acre etc. So I'm looking forward to this but please, please, let up on the relentless fights and daft boss at the end of the game. It just went on and on and really spoilt my memory of what had previously been a very pleasant affair.

But that has the same problems as most of Ubisoft open world games a horrible tendency to repeat itself over and over with lackluster missions. FC2 sort of let you do the missions on your own terms but once you'd done a few you realise that it's just the same couple of missions over and over again with no variety and very bad AI.

Yeah I wouldn't even disagree with that but on the otherhand they made this absolutely fabulous world which I just got drawn right into. It is for me one of the most immersive worlds I've had the pleasure of playing in for a looooong time, not once did I get bored. But definitely agree that it was essentially make your own fun, luckily with all them fabulous weapons and different ways you could mess around I never got bored at all, it's certainly not a failure in terms of repetitiveness the way Assassins Creed was.

Ubisoft seem to be one of these companies that try new things which either end up adding to the game or making you go 'what the fuck ?' I do appreciate them trying though and here's hoping they learn and improve.

They really need to look at the Hitman series. The assassinations in the original just weren't any fun. Hitman was awesome, it just threw you into a load of different scenarios and said 'go on, how are you going to do this without being caught?' and gave you countless ways to do it. Assassin's Creed made you sit on a bench and collect some flags for a bit, then funnelled you into a tiny area and either forced you to kill the target in front of everyone or made you chase him. Just no ingenuity or thought in the mission design at all. And the stealth system was just crap. Crappy AI, pressing A to blend in for no reason but knocking over a pot or being pushed by a tramp is enough to get the whole city after you. Shit, shit, shit.

Ubisoft have been utterly balls this gen.

The best bit was breaking the crest of a hill, or trotting round the bend of a mountain pass, and having the whole of Jerusalem pour into your eyeline. Just awe-inspiring. The game events themselves were curiously tedious, repetitive stuff, but with a setting like that, it was enjoyable, thus forgivable. Gorgeous world, with a killer aesthetic. Also thank god it's not ninjas, and that they're treading through firm histories that aren't your traditional videogame fare.

The best bit was breaking the crest of a hill, or trotting round the bend of a mountain pass, and having the whole of Jerusalem pour into your eyeline. Just awe-inspiring. The game events themselves were curiously tedious, repetitive stuff, but with a setting like that, it was enjoyable, thus forgivable. Gorgeous world, with a killer aesthetic. Also thank god it's not ninjas, and that they're treading through firm histories that aren't your traditional videogame fare.

I particularly liked how they tackled the historical inaccuracies in Assassin's Creed, by stating that

the main character would be wise not to put so much faith in Wikipedia.

I recently finished the first one and while it was lacking in many areas it did have an incredibly detailed world which I enjoyed exploring. I'm sure this won't be a carbon copy of the first in a new setting. So yeah it should be good, certainly an improvement, hopefully with bigger climbs and even more stunning vistas. Then again they could cut back on the climbing and completely balls up what was good about the first one. Who knows ?

The teaser tells us nothing anyway.

I liked the Free-running & atmosphere of AC to the point where i was willing to overlook its repetitive missions & the frequently broken final assassinations. As long as they fix these 2 things they can set it where & with whatever character they want.

That's the Ancestor mind you. I still want Desmond's story to be continued (what was happening to to him at the end of that game?) & i'm pretty sure he's had more than one Assassin Ancestor.

The feeling of moving slowly through a dense crowd and assassinating someone in plain sight with your hidden blade never got boring. Walking slowly away around a corner, up onto an over hang before the body had even hit the floor. Gasps from onlookers as they stare in disbelief at the dead body, then screams, then the guards come. And you're just perched calmly watching the whole kerfuffle.

The feeling of moving slowly through a dense crowd and assassinating someone in plain sight with your hidden blade never got boring. Walking slowly away around a corner, up onto an over hang before the body had even hit the floor. Gasps from onlookers as they stare in disbelief at the dead body, then screams, then the guards come. And you're just perched calmly watching the whole kerfuffle.

o/\o